Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Web Finds: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage SE 5SMT USA

Hahaha the car must be cut in half!! That's nuts.

I've never heard of said global import list but i suppose that makes sense.

I've always wanted to import 80s and 90s JDM Nissan R32 Skyline or Mazda FD RX7. Something sporty and uncommon like these Japanese classics still look good in my opinion. That's what I grew up on but never experiencing so one day it'd be fun to own one even for a few years then pass it on to my son as a hobby. These cars will become relics (ICE Dino's) what with the wave of Tesla EVs on the horizon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Nah it's just raw supply and demand
    Time will tell.

This is one of the best deals in a while. This one is a low mileage one owner but it's been in a fender bender and repainted. I was thinking of buying it but turned it down. The fender color match is off in my opinion and it bothers me at this price. If you can get it repainted for the low this might be a keeper!

Name:  IMG_20211220_001110.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  93.6 KB

Price: $9,995
    Mileage: 47,979
    Color: Red
    VIN: ML32A4HJ2HH012872

https://www.baronautosalesma.com/201...-01089/7035232

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    This is one of the best deals in a while. This one is a low mileage one owner but it's been in a fender bender and repainted. I was thinking of buying it but turned it down. The fender color match is off in my opinion and it bothers me at this price. If you can get it repainted for the low this might be a keeper!

I am always amazed at how many cars are listed incorrectly when it comes to transmissions. This one is not the case, but many are when I search for Mirage manuals.

When I do a 500 mile radius search for a Mirage on cars.com, 324 CVTs & 95 manuals come up. Yet, when I look at the pics of the cars many are not manuals.

Is this the result of young workers posting the cars on line for companies, and they don't know the difference?

I see no reason for the deception? If most people prefer a CVT & sort that way, the cars will not show up for them if there are mistakes. Even companies like Carvana don't get it right. What's with that? You're in the business of selling used cars. How stupid!

Given today's market, I wouldn't rule out a car like the one above. Especially if you like the features offered on a SE manual, which we know was a one year wonder. It's not big factor for me, but I am not the one buying a car. Cruise control becoming standard for all Mirages in 2019 was a big plus. Automatic climate controls becoming standard again (was standard in 2014-15, too) in 2020 is a big negative for me, but it's not deal breaker.

In mind, the 2017-2022 Mirage are the same basic cars. Only some features and bumpers have been changed. As years go by, low mileage 2017 SE manuals will become more rare. Personally, I would much rather have 2019 ES manual (cruise control with manual climate controls).

I don't know the current auto loan rates, and they would vary for most individuals based on credit scores & other factors. When I was shopping for a Mirage, I knew the rates of my local credit union via an email. I was quoted 2.49%/60 months (new Mirage purchase) & 2.73%/60 months (used). The difference in the two rates didn't justify paying thousands of dollars more for new car.

The issue with a Mirage is used ones can be priced higher than new ones sometimes. Thus, it required some effort when shopping for one. I could have bought the car listed above brand new for less money than it is selling today used almost 5 years later, but that's today's market. What's important to compare is the OTD price of a used Mirage verses a new Mirage OTD. I don't place much value on interest rates. Even if 0% interest was offered, it would not influence me to pay more for a car than what I think it is worth.

When I purchased my Mirage, Ally was offering $500 off if you financed $10,000 or more on a new Mirage. Now that seemed sort of odd to me, because I was looking at brand new Mirages for $9,500. It was Richard that told me how I could get one for $9,000 instead with that offer.

Thus, I financed my Mirage with Ally (4%/60 months) & took the extra $500 off at the time. Three months later I refinanced my now used Mirage with my local credit for the 2.73%/60 month rate. Even my local credit union told me to take the extra $500 off. It cost me $30 refinance on line at the time. When I bought my Mirage everything was done on line including the refinance. The purchase paperwork was done at my kitchen table when my Mirage was delivered.

How does the above 2017 Mirage SE manual compare to a brand new 2021-22 Mirage ES manual? I ask because I don't really know.

What is the OTD price of the used 2017 Mirage, & what would be the financing attached to it?

What is the OTD price of a new ES manual, & what would be the financing attached to it?

Today is very different! I was looking at brand new 2017 ES manuals for $7,500-9,000 (depending on which of the 3 rebates you qualified for), & I also knew the closing costs (tax, title, registration, documentation fees, & everything else) would add approximately $800-900 to the deal. At those prices, looking at used cars became somewhat silly!

I would never recommend buying a new vehicle to anyone. A highly discounted Mirage in the past was an exception. Used car prices are also out of whack today, however. That 2017 SE would be priced a few thousand dollars less a year ago, & that would make it look like a much better deal.

If the OTD price difference is only couple thousand dollars, I can see the draw to the new one. If the OTD price difference is $5,000+, I would be drawn to the used one. A Mirage for me, however, is a daily driver & not my only vehicle. If it's your only vehicle, it may warrant more willingness to pay more for the newer one.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-21-2021 at 06:34 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts

Name:  IMG_20211220_001110.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  93.6 KB

Carfax doesn't show any accidents. But it does show this car had 61,000 miles last July and somehow has 47,000 miles now.

If this car were anywhere near me and I needed to replace my Mirage I'd take a good hard look at it. If the slight paint mismatch bothered me that much I'd just find a used red fender with factory paint and swap it on rather than springing for a full respray.

Panel fit is pretty good save for the lower fender right at the front corner of the door. This one may not have been hit very hard at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1) May or may not be a manual. No pics to confirm. Seller’s notes about this car states -
    2017 Mitsubishi Mirage SEReviews: Impressive fuel economy with CVT; one of the least expensive cars available; generous warranty.

It could be a copied statement, but I would inquire about transmission just the same.

2) The second one is definitely a manual. Looks good, but the price is high.

3) The third one is a better deal for sure.

I would use the OTD price of a brand new 2022 ES Mirage for comparison. Do you know that yet?

As far as features go, a 2017 SE manual will have some features (items like alloy wheels & push button start) that the 2022 ES manual would be missing. The 2022 ES manual will have forward collision mitigation, however.

If you could negotiate price down, & I could see getting the 2017. If you could get it for $4,000-6,000 less than the 2022 OTD, I would find that very appealing. The cars are basically the same otherwise (outside of bumpers).

Sidenote: All the Mirage color options are no longer available for 2022 ES manuals. Red is one of the bright colors left to pick from. Colors like the blue and yellow are off limits now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am always amazed at how many cars are listed incorrectly when it comes to transmissions.
    100% agree, I see it all the time since I only look for manuals and double check the pictures for confirmation of an actual manual transmission. Many times its incorrect.

Unless i can find a mint low mileage rust free 2017 SE manual at a good price, I would just buy the new 2022 ES manual while i have the opportunity. Prices of used 17 SEs vary from $10-14k. WB last quoted me $17k OTD shipped for a 22 ES manual to my zip code.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    100% agree, I see it all the time since I only look for manuals and double check the pictures for confirmation of an actual manual transmission. Many times its incorrect.

Unless i can find a mint low mileage rust free 2017 SE manual at a good price, I would just buy the new 2022 ES manual while i have the opportunity. Prices of used 17 SEs vary from $10-14k. WB last quoted me $17k OTD shipped for a 22 ES manual to my zip code.
    Where are you located, state-wise? $17k OTD is not bad for a new car IMO MSRP is now the new norms. Definitely not even close to the Ford Maverick territory and it is completely incomparable.

You have a point. One thing to keep in mind is that the 2017 SE MT is very limited to find and even if it ever become common in some moments, potential buyer has to take into the account of getting that car inspected before buying. Test driving is just not enough to be 100% confident which would bite easily as a remorse. Good deal dont matter if the buyer is not happy about unexpectedly acquiring someone elses problem. Kind of hard to get past that in the used car market currently. Of course, to each to it owns.
    Last edited by defensivetackle88; 02-01-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unlike most dealerships, White Bear typically stocks manuals. They currently list 27 Mirages in stock & 13 of them are listed as manuals.

During a more normal year in the past, WB would have 60+ Mirages in stock this time of year.