Thread: EVAP, rotors, and rust Oh my!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

EVAP, rotors, and rust Oh my!

Hey all. I'm new here so hope everybody is doing alright, and keeping safe. Had my Mitsubishi Mirage ES 2015 (CVT) about a year now but only drove about 5k due to Covid. Just got it through inspection but the dealership replaced rotors and pads at 25,000 miles, I bought it at 32,000 miles and now had to replace Front rotors AGAIN at 37,000. Anyone else dealing with this? Changed the pads too obviously but pads were not completely worn. Shop said something about laminate? on the rotors? No noise or sound was ever made and I didn't feel the rotors being chopped up. Should've asked to see the pads and rotors or if there was uneven wear but things have been so crazy I forgot to do so and I'm home now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlewolfcsd View Post
    Hey all. I'm new here so hope everybody is doing alright, and keeping safe. Had my Mitsubishi Mirage ES 2015 (CVT) about a year now but only drove about 5k due to Covid. Just got it through inspection but the dealership replaced rotors and pads at 25,000 miles, I bought it at 32,000 miles and now had to replace Front rotors AGAIN at 37,000. Anyone else dealing with this? Changed the pads too obviously but pads were not completely worn. Shop said something about laminate? on the rotors? No noise or sound was ever made and I didn't feel the rotors being chopped up. Should've asked to see the pads and rotors or if there was uneven wear but things have been so crazy I forgot to do so and I'm home now.
    I have nearly 49,000 miles on 2017 ES manual, & I haven't had any brake work done.

My 2000 Honda CR-V still had its original factory brakes in 2013 @ 154,000 miles. I got second opinions from my local mechanics on this, too. If I hadn't been rear ended by someone who didn't know how to use their brakes properly, who knows how much longer they would have went?

Laminate is term used for the brake pads, not the rotors.

"However, if the friction lining material is not positively and permanently attached to the disc brake shoe, it becomes possible for the friction lining to delaminate, resulting in an immediately degraded performance of the braking system. This instantaneous disruption, even if only temporary, can prove fatal in the event of a panic stop."

Taken from -

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ed-brake-pads/

Next time you have brake work done, I would asked for the old parts. That way they know you may be getting a second opinion. A good shop would explain what's really wrong, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlewolfcsd View Post
    Hello Littlewolfcsd and welcome to the forum.

It's not unusual for brakes to wear quickly in hilly areas. Not sure what your landscape looks like though Pennsylvania in general has a lot of hills & mountains though you are probably already aware of this.

Also, rotors rust. Especially after a humid, rainy period. Look at brake rotors next time you visit a car lot to see how long they've been sitting. If a car is driven on a regular basis that surface rust is abraded away keeping the rotor clean. If a car sits for an extended period that rust can accumulate. When the brakes are used next, that rough, rusty surface will remove more brake pad material than a smooth rotor surface. Not sure if this is a factor in your situation, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Also, are you experiencing a problem with your evaporative system? Just asking because you mention it in the title of your post but not in the body of your post.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I used to think that's impossible, just hit the rotors with a roloc disc and scuff up the surface and call it good. But.....I just replaced brakes on a car last week for a customer(06 Mazda 3). There was tons of meat left on the pads but the rotors were rusted so bad from sitting for the last year(also thanks to China) they just had to be replaced. I'm not talking a little rust from sitting overnight, these were so rusty that if you tried to turn/resurface them they'd be below the minimum thickness guaranteed. At least the front brakes are dirt cheap for these cars, the rear for 14-15' is a different story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-10-2021)

^ Yup, this.

Rusty rotors is a chronic problem for cars that live in wet and/or salty areas and aren't driven regularly.

Solution is to make sure you drive the car regularly (so the braking surfaces get scrubbed clean), even if you don't have somewhere specific to go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I used to think that's impossible, just hit the rotors with a roloc disc and scuff up the surface and call it good. But.....I just replaced brakes on a car last week for a customer(06 Mazda 3). There was tons of meat left on the pads but the rotors were rusted so bad from sitting for the last year(also thanks to China) they just had to be replaced. I'm not talking a little rust from sitting overnight, these were so rusty that if you tried to turn/resurface them they'd be below the minimum thickness guaranteed. At least the front brakes are dirt cheap for these cars, the rear for 14-15' is a different story.
    Man, your not kidding. If I have to replace the 2014 rear drums again soon I'm going to be pissed. I've made my piece with having to get new front pads every 30k miles. My rotors were resurfaced last time so I know I'm going to be due getting a fresh pair. Atlanta is nothing but big hills or a piedmont area of land. I'm easy on my brakes too, just pulse and flow. Keep good distance from others on the hwy when possible. It's madness. So many doing 20 over, thru our downtown. I feel like that midget from Mad Max, Master Blaster. Tiny on the hwy.