Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage G4 is the slowest selling car in the U.S.

Mirage G4 is the slowest selling car in the U.S.

iSeeCars has posted a report on on “days to sell” as a means to gauge the balance of supply and demand for individual vehicles.

The average number of days to sell across the industry in January was 46, which is within the normal range. Among the fastest selling cars in America, it was as low as 10 days.
    Below are the 6 slowest selling cars, and the top 3 have already been cancelled. (Which means they're not representative of sales for a current model.)

That means the number 6 position is even worse than it looks for the G4. It's actually the slowest selling current car (as opposed to current crossover & van in the previous 2 slots).

The G4 sits on lots over twice as long as the average new vehicle. Is it incentive time, Mitsubishi?

1. Ford Fusion Hybrid (CANCELLED)
      Avg. days to sell: 179.7
    2. Ford Fusion (CANCELLED)
      Avg. days to sell: 157.7
    3. Honda Fit (CANCELLED)
      Avg. days to sell: 113.1
    4. Kia Sedona
      Avg. days to sell: 102.9
    5. Chevrolet Trax
      Avg. days to sell: 102.1
    6. Mitsubishi Mirage G4
      Avg. days to sell: 97.1

See the full list, slowest selling 20 vehicles: https://247wallst.com/special-report...elling-new-car

Mitsu Canada dropped the G4 after only 2 years of slow sales. I wonder if the U.S. is next.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sedans sales have been slowing down.
    Small car sales have been slowing down.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Mitsubishi dropped the G4. It makes me wonder what the sales breakdown is regarding Mirage hatch vs. Mirage G4 is in the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Mitsu Canada dropped the G4 after only 2 years of slow sales. I wonder if the U.S. is next.
    The real "ouch" is it takes an Outlander & Eclipse Cross a hundred more days to sell than the G4 on this list according to the article I shared late last year.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36093/...-eclipse-cross

If you don't live in a big city with a Mitsubishi dealership, Mitsubishi would be an afterthought for most. I would guess some people believe Mitsubishi has disappeared like Suzuki.

I wouldn't recommend a Mitsubishi to anyone unless they are willing to travel to White Bear, Minnesota to buy one or at least contact them from a distance & make a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Sedans sales have been slowing down.
    Small car sales have been slowing down.
    Which makes it a bit surprising to see the Trax on the list beside the G4. I see lots of those -- maybe more of their Buick equivalent -- on the road.

Maybe it's a Canada thing.

The car they're based on (Sonic) was already cancelled.

Maybe in the States, people go for the next size up. That's typically been the sales pattern between our 2 countries.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The real "ouch" is it takes an Outlander & Eclipse Cross a hundred more days to sell than the G4 on this list according to the article I shared late last year.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36093/...-eclipse-cross

If you don't live in a big city with a Mitsubishi dealership, Mitsubishi would be an afterthought for most. I would guess some people believe Mitsubishi has disappeared like Suzuki.

I wouldn't recommend a Mitsubishi to anyone unless they are willing to travel to White Bear, Minnesota to buy one or at least contact them from a distance & make a deal.
    I think you're right. I know a lot of non-car people think Mitsubishi doesn't even sell cars anymore. We had a paintless dent removal person come to work on a car and he remarked that he didn't even know Mitsubishi was still around.

It will be interesting to see how the '22 Outlander does for the company. FWIW, I'm seeing a lot more Mitsubishi ads online since the '22 Outlander reveal. Of course, it will remain to be seen how that's impacting sales. I'm eager to see what Q1 sales were. My guess is not great, but we'll see; I don't anticipate most companies doing extremely well in Q1 anyway.

Personally, I like the look of the redesigned Eclipse Cross, but I don't think enough people know about it. Mitsubishi has to figure out ways to get people into dealerships.

I'll tell you what: I have a 2021 Nissan Kicks in my driveway right now that I'm reviewing. It's a tick over $25,000 on the window sticker. Looks like local dealers are selling them for about $20,000 or so. If I had to choose between it and an Eclipse Cross, I'd likely go Eclipse Cross.

Circling back to the original topic, however, I see my closest Mitsubishi dealer has 28 G4s on the lot and 8 hatchbacks. All are 2020s. This dealer does not do a great job marketing its vehicles and all are priced at MSRP on the website.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    ...makes me wonder what the sales breakdown is regarding Mirage hatch vs. Mirage G4 is in the U.S.
    I have always wondered what those numbers are, too. What would Mirage sales numbers look like without the G4?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

You know, I bet this news will save GM a TON of money!

I'm sure plans for producing a Spark sedan have been reluctantly canned.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You know, I bet this news will save GM a TON of money!

I'm sure plans for producing a Spark sedan have been reluctantly canned.
    Chevy currently offers the Spark hatchback & the Malibu sedan. They aren't offering any more car models than Mitsubishi in the States.

I see no reason for Chevy for coming out with any new sedans when they just cancelled the others like the Impala, Cruz, & Sonic.

Mitsubishi would be more competitive if they had a better dealership network. I am not aware of a good one in my state. Yet, there are 20+ Chevy dealerships within a 50-60 mile radius of me.

So, what would really help sell more Mirages, then, would be Nissan doing a little badge engineering exercise and selling it as a "Versa City"!

OR a Versa XFi! (Metro fans will get the reference).

Too bad it's way too old a platform for that to ever happen.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Chevy currently offers the Spark hatchback & the Malibu sedan. They aren't offering any more car models than Mitsubishi in the States.

I see no reason for Chevy for coming out with any new sedans when they just cancelled the others like the Impala, Cruz, & Sonic.

Mitsubishi would be more competitive if they had a better dealership network. I am not aware of a good one in my state. Yet, there are 20+ Chevy dealerships within a 50-60 mile radius of me.
    I agree Mitsubishi would be better suited with more dealers. But I'm certain this is a chicken/egg scenario. They likely won't increase the dealerships until sales increase. But how do you increase sales without dealerships?

I still maintain that the company needs to do some serious brand building. I really hope that with the upcoming Eclipse Cross, Outlander PHEV, and more importantly, the '22 Outlander that Mitsubishi gets the word out a bit more.

I do not anticipate any advertising on the Mirage as the profit margins are just too slim.