Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 2014 KIA Rio EX hatch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks Fummy! Well now the plans changed. Latest development, I give my Mom my 2014 green hatch and I'll drive the G4. Meanwhile we find a slightly used Outlander Sport for her to drive! Happy wife, happy life. I feel good about the Sport or RVR because its been in production so damn long and its part prices aren't as insane as for a Mirage.
    If you're looking for a used OS if you can find one with a 2.4 that's what I'd choose since you're going to be stuck with a CVT. The 2.0 loses a lot of go with the CVT and it loves to rev and has zero torque down low so it's a bad choice for the CVT. The 2.4 has more torque and hp which seems to translate to a much better driving experience since the CVT wants to keep the engine is lower rpm ranges as much as possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now if you want to row your own gears here's one:

https://www.leskovar.com/used/Mitsub...db6497ae50.htm

Granted that's a few more $$ than I paid for my 2019 but how many people want a 5 speed SUV? Virtually no one (except this guy and few others). This is a 2.0 but with the 5 speed it's great to drive. My guess is that the dealer (I bought my new OS from this dealer) would be open to offers considering the difficulty of finding anyone that wants a stick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-04-2021 at 03:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Basic (05-04-2021),Dirk Diggler (05-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

I hear Mitsubishi Mirages had major recall/engine recalls. Something to do with knocking. I'd really just avoid that mfg altogether
    I'm sorry if I appear to be overreacting to you. The red flag in the first article I posted was not so much the recall itself. It's the failure to address the issue and being fined for it.

"A week ago, Hyundai and Kia agreed to pay up to $210 million in fines for failing to recall 1.6 million vehicles that also had engine problems. The settlement involves recalls from 2015 to 2017 for issues that can cause bearing wear and eventual engine failure."

I tend to look at these things, because I am more inclined to buy a slightly used vehicle over a new one. An advantage of that is their proven track record is more available. For example, Honda 2.4L engines used in the CR-V starting in 2002 (also Element engine) were bulletproof engines. The new 1.5L turbo GDI engine doesn't have that stellar reputation.

Even the 1.5L turbo engine in the Eclipse Cross is a bit unproven. Personally, I don't see the advantage of it in both mpg or horsepower. I'd rather have the 2.0L or 2.4L Mitsubishi engine.

My concern about a company is not so much the recall itself. The red flag for me is how they approach the recall. If KIA or Hyundai are replacing faulty engines with faulty engines, that's not cool. I can't say I've overly research all this, but I would if I were buying one. That was my point more than anything.

My Forester had its short block replaced @ 90,000 miles (& 7-years old) due excessive oil consumption. I appreciate that, but it took a class action lawsuit that Subaru lost to make that happen. Thankfully, the lawsuit covered Foresters that were under 100,000 miles and 8 years old. Another good friend of mine, who doesn't apparently check his oil between oil changes, discovered his Forester had burned 4 quarts of oil when he went in to have it changed (5.5 quart capacity engine). No warning light went off, and Subaru was trying to cover up for that, too. It was their engine replacement on their 2012 Forester that sparked me to have my 2011 replaced. My Forester failed their oil consumption test, & I knew it would.

Am I happy Subaru addressed this? Yes! Do I plan on ever buying another Subaru? No! Having said that, Subaru may be better than 10 other companies. If this replacement engine doesn't give me any issues in the next 10 years or so, I may change my mind, too.

Personally, I think the 2014 Rio with the 1.6L powertrain may be a good little car. A low mileage Matrix is hard to find. I only brought them up, because I feel they may have been the best made hatchback (billed as a small sports wagon) in the past 20 years. Since the rear seats fold flat, it's a real versatile car. I have never driven one, but they say they have a sporty feel to them. I like that, too.

I know one couple that has a 2007 Vibe. They pull a small teardrop sleeper camper with it. They recently replaced their second car (a newer 2011 Equinox), because he couldn't pick up the car with a jack. A various spots the jack would just push through the rust. They thought the Vibe would be the first to go, because the Equinox was their newer vehicle. They still have the Vibe. He's may be the only friend that that I have that may buy a Mirage some day. He's a former Metro owner, and he's shown some interest in my Mirage. Most people I hang with aren't interested in small cars, except my friends here on the forum!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm sorry if I appear to be overreacting to you. The red flag in the first article I posted was not so much the recall itself. It's the failure to address the issue and being fined for it.

"A week ago, Hyundai and Kia agreed to pay up to $210 million in fines for failing to recall 1.6 million vehicles that also had engine problems. The settlement involves recalls from 2015 to 2017 for issues that can cause bearing wear and eventual engine failure."

I tend to look at these things, because I am more inclined to buy a slightly used vehicle over a new one. An advantage of that is their proven track record is more available. For example, Honda 2.4L engines used in the CR-V starting in 2002 (also Element engine) were bulletproof engines. The new 1.5L turbo GDI engine doesn't have that stellar reputation.

Even the 1.5L turbo engine in the Eclipse Cross is a bit unproven. Personally, I don't see the advantage of it in both mpg or horsepower. I'd rather have the 2.0L or 2.4L Mitsubishi engine.

My concern about a company is not so much the recall itself. The red flag for me is how they approach the recall. If KIA or Hyundai are replacing faulty engines with faulty engines, that's not cool. I can't say I've overly research all this, but I would if I were buying one. That was my point more than anything.

My Forester had its short block replaced @ 90,000 miles (& 7-years old) due excessive oil consumption. I appreciate that, but it took a class action lawsuit that Subaru lost to make that happen. Thankfully, the lawsuit covered Foresters that were under 100,000 miles and 8 years old. Another good friend of mine, who doesn't apparently check his oil between oil changes, discovered his Forester had burned 4 quarts of oil when he went in to have it changed (5.5 quart capacity engine). No warning light went off, and Subaru was trying to cover up for that, too. It was their engine replacement on their 2012 Forester that sparked me to have my 2011 replaced. My Forester failed their oil consumption test, & I knew it would.

Am I happy Subaru addressed this? Yes! Do I plan on ever buying another Subaru? No! Having said that, Subaru may be better than 10 other companies. If this replacement engine doesn't give me any issues in the next 10 years or so, I may change my mind, too.

Personally, I think the 2014 Rio with the 1.6L powertrain may be a good little car. A low mileage Matrix is hard to find. I only brought them up, because I feel they may have been the best made hatchback (billed as a small sports wagon) in the past 20 years. Since the rear seats fold flat, it's a real versatile car. I have never driven one, but they say they have a sporty feel to them. I like that, too.

I know one couple that has a 2007 Vibe. They pull a small teardrop sleeper camper with it. They recently replaced their second car (a newer 2011 Equinox), because he couldn't pick up the car with a jack. A various spots the jack would just push through the rust. They thought the Vibe would be the first to go, because the Equinox was their newer vehicle. They still have the Vibe. He's may be the only friend that that I have that may buy a Mirage some day. He's a former Metro owner, and he's shown some interest in my Mirage. Most people I hang with aren't interested in small cars, except my friends here on the forum!
    I'd put my money on a vibe/ matrix over any GM cute ute anyday of the week. Not even close.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

Granted that's a few more $$ than I paid for my 2019 but how many people want a 5 speed SUV? Virtually no one (except this guy and few others). This is a 2.0 but with the 5 speed it's great to drive. My guess is that the dealer (I bought my new OS from this dealer) would be open to offers considering the difficulty of finding anyone that wants a stick.
    I honestly think the Outlander Sport with that powertrain is awesome! If I knew I could get by without AWD, it would be at the top of my list. It's the closest thing to my 1st generation Honda CR-V that had a 2.0L engine with a 5-speed manual. The difference is AWD, & that's important to me. A small AWD vehicle that can town is what compliments my Mirage. When the snow tires go on the Forester, there's no comparison. The Mirage does well, but it's not the same.

This would be my main suggestion to Dirk. Don't look short term at vehicles. You are young & recently married. If you may have a small family some day, having one more substantial vehicle will become important to you. More luggage, playpens, car seats, etc.... take up space. We had a small Plymouth Colt Wagon when my two daughters were born/young, & I was using a car top carrier at times to visit my parents 4.5 hours away.

If your wife has a relatively short drive to work, get her something a little more substantial for when that day comes. Having a more substantial vehicle and a Mirage to compliment it is great for small families. My 1990 Ford Festiva did that for my family. Work was close, but I drove to summer school for years & earned two different graduate degrees over the 14 years of owning it. Meanwhile my wife had the Colt Wagon, Ford Explorer, and a 2nd generation Honda CR-V over that same time period. I kept her in a nicer vehicle that we used for the family, too. Meanwhile I drove my $5,300 pop yellow Festiva everywhere.

Dirk's wife won't drive a manual. Thus, that Outlander Sport may be a tough sale!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If you're looking for a used OS if you can find one with a 2.4 that's what I'd choose since you're going to be stuck with a CVT. The 2.0 loses a lot of go with the CVT and it loves to rev and has zero torque down low so it's a bad choice for the CVT. The 2.4 has more torque and hp which seems to translate to a much better driving experience since the CVT wants to keep the engine is lower rpm ranges as much as possible.
    I'm confused. I thought a lot of torque kills CVTs?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

Looks good except my wife has no interest in a manual. CVT or bust lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Looks good except my wife has no interest in a manual. CVT or bust lol.
    No young padawan learner, 5 speed for you G4 for wife.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I honestly think the Outlander Sport with that powertrain is awesome! If I knew I could get by without AWD, it would be at the top of my list. It's the closest thing to my 1st generation Honda CR-V that had a 2.0L engine with a 5-speed manual. The difference is AWD, & that's important to me. A small AWD vehicle that can town is what compliments my Mirage. When the snow tires go on the Forester, there's no comparison. The Mirage does well, but it's not the same.

This would be my main suggestion to Dirk. Don't look short term at vehicles. You are young & recently married. If you may have a small family some day, having one more substantial vehicle will become important to you. More luggage, playpens, car seats, etc.... take up space. We had a small Plymouth Colt Wagon when my two daughters were born/young, & I was using a car top carrier at times to visit my parents 4.5 hours away.

If your wife has a relatively short drive to work, get her something a little more substantial for when that day comes. Having a more substantial vehicle and a Mirage to compliment it is great for small families. My 1990 Ford Festiva did that for my family. Work was close, but I drove to summer school for years & earned two different graduate degrees over the 14 years of owning it. Meanwhile my wife had the Colt Wagon, Ford Explorer, and a 2nd generation Honda CR-V over that same time period. I kept her in a nicer vehicle that we used for the family, too. Meanwhile I drove my $5,300 pop yellow Festiva everywhere.

Dirk's wife won't drive a manual. Thus, that Outlander Sport may be a tough sale!
    I just wish Toyota made affordable vehicles like they used to! Lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    No young padawan learner, 5 speed for you G4 for wife.
    Its been 20 years since my last 5speed, an Accord. The Sport would have to go to the wife to placate her. Last night when I mentioned giving my Mom the hatch and getting a Rio, she wasn't thrilled about it. Turned into our 1st real arguement in 4 years. So this morning I tried a different approach, namely her getting a new vehicle and I driving the G4. It worked lol. Finding the silver lining etc. Name:  1610803517575.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  86.3 KB