Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Opinions on a 2014 KIA Rio EX hatch?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    1,198
    Thanked 674 Times in 511 Posts

    Opinions on a 2014 KIA Rio EX hatch?

    I'm considering helping my Mom out by giving her my 2014 hatch. I've kept it in tip top shape and its only at 76k miles. Her old Impala is on its last legs and I'd be surprised if it lasted another year or so. So I was researching either another Mirage or a 2014 KIA Rio EX hatch with 26k miles on it for $10999. Granted it'll be months before I can do this or if even the wife lets me lol. Anyone got any experience with KIA reliability or lack there of? I keep reading Hyundai and KIA reliability keeps getting better but its always better to hear from owners.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    RC, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,312
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm considering helping my Mom out by giving her my 2014 hatch. I've kept it in tip top shape and its only at 76k miles. Her old Impala is on its last legs and I'd be surprised if it lasted another year or so. So I was researching either another Mirage or a 2014 KIA Rio EX hatch with 26k miles on it for $10999. Granted it'll be months before I can do this or if even the wife lets me lol. Anyone got any experience with KIA reliability or lack there of? I keep reading Hyundai and KIA reliability keeps getting better but its always better to hear from owners.
    Sorry, I don't know anyone that owns one.

    https://www.edmunds.com/kia/rio/2014/consumer-reviews/

    https://www.kbb.com/kia/rio/2014/consumer-reviews/

    https://www.cars.com/research/kia-ri...sumer-reviews/

    Possible red flag- "Hyundai and Kia agreed to pay up to $210 million in fines for failing to recall 1.6 million vehicles that also had engine problems. The settlement involves recalls from 2015 to 2017 for issues that can cause bearing wear and eventual engine failure." taken from -

    https://www.thedrive.com/news/37985/...-engine-issues

    Rio doesn't have these 2.0 or 2.4 liter engines, but these events made me lose interest in Hyundai & KIA.

    https://www.thedrive.com/news/9069/h...engine-failure

    This is just my opinion - If I were buying that vintage of a hatchback, I would make a real effort to locate a lower mileage Toyota Matrix. They are not as easy to find any more, but I would rather pick up an older 50,000-60,000 mile Matrix over an older 25,000 mile Rio. The Matrix ended around 2014, and a year or two later the Corolla hatchback appeared. Since the Corolla hatchbacks are newer, there's a jump in price. The Matrix & Pontiac Vibe clone have an excellent reputation. The older 2005-09 ones are still very popular today. The rear seat folds flat like all hatchback seats should. Heck, Scotty Kilmer even owns one!

    Kilmer haters don't need to check this out -

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7IqhkO9L8
    Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2021 at 01:28 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (05-04-2021)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    1,198
    Thanked 674 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sorry, I don't know anyone that owns one.

    https://www.edmunds.com/kia/rio/2014/consumer-reviews/

    https://www.kbb.com/kia/rio/2014/consumer-reviews/

    https://www.cars.com/research/kia-ri...sumer-reviews/

    Possible red flag- "Hyundai and Kia agreed to pay up to $210 million in fines for failing to recall 1.6 million vehicles that also had engine problems. The settlement involves recalls from 2015 to 2017 for issues that can cause bearing wear and eventual engine failure." taken from -

    https://www.thedrive.com/news/37985/...-engine-issues

    Rio doesn't have this these 2.0 or 2.4 liter engines, but these events made me lose interest in Hyundai & KIA.

    https://www.thedrive.com/news/9069/h...engine-failure

    This is just my opinion - If I were buying that vintage of a hatchback, I would make a real effort to locate a lower mileage Toyota Matrix. They are not as easy to find any more, but I would rather pick up an older 50,000-60,000 mile Matrix over an older 25,000 mile Rio. The Matrix ended around 2014, and a year or two later the Corolla hatchback appeared. Since the Corolla hatchbacks are newer, there's a jump in price. The Matrix & Pontiac Vibe clone have an excellent reputation. The older 2005-09 ones are still very popular today. The rear seat folds flat like all hatchback seats should. Heck, Scotty Kilmer even owns one!

    Kilmer haters don't need to check this out -

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7IqhkO9L8
    Thank you Mark. Those links were eye opening I didn't realize. The Rio has a 1.6L engine.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    here
    Country
    Aaland
    Posts
    5,332
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Oh no, they had a recall? I better sell the wifes Sorento and buy something from a mfg that doesn't has never had a recall. Maybe a Ford......
    We could post random recalls of every mfg. Better buy a horse.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  6. #5
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    1,198
    Thanked 674 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Oh no, they had a recall? I better sell the wifes Sorento and buy something from a mfg that doesn't has never had a recall. Maybe a Ford......
    We could post random recalls of every mfg. Better buy a horse.
    Lol Fummins. What's your professional opinion on KIA? Pros/Cons? Your Sorento been ok or a money pit?

  7. #6
    Senior Member Dodge Aries K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    936
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 309 Times in 209 Posts
    I hate Hyundai. Almost as much as I hate GM... Which is a lot. Actually, I think I hate Hyundai more than I hate GM. Yuck.
    -Karl B. 2015 DE 5 speed x 2. Plenty of other cars as well.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    RC, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,312
    Thanks
    165
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Oh no, they had a recall? I better sell the wifes Sorento and buy something from a mfg that doesn't has never had a recall. Maybe a Ford......
    We could post random recalls of every mfg. Better buy a horse.
    We all know most cars have recalls. I recently had a conversation with someone who had their KIA Optima engine replaced. He was told the exact same faulty engine was going in it, because they had some many of those engines already made. He sold the car afterwards. A new engine didn't reassure him.

    I used to be a huge fan of KIA, because my 1990 Ford Festival was built by KIA. I was impressed by the toughness of that little car.

    Hyundai/KIA has had some engine problems. Not saying all are bad. There's a difference between a simple recall & a recall related to major engine issues.

    Most people like Hyundai/KIA products, & they may be doing better than Ford, GM, Chrysler, VW & many other companies. Honda is known for great engines, & they now have models I would avoid.

    The 1.6 L powertrain of the RIO may be a good one. I really like the looks of the RIO hatchbacks. If I could buy a Matrix for the same money/mileage, I would buy the Matrix. Doesn't mean a RIO is a bad car.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2021 at 01:30 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    1,198
    Thanked 674 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We all know most cars have recalls. I recently had a conversation with someone who had their KIA Optima engine replaced. He was told the exact same faulty engine was going in it, because they had some many of those engines already made. He sold the car afterwards. A new engine didn't reassure him.

    I used to be a huge fan of KIA, because my 1990 Ford Festival was built by KIA. I was impressed by the toughness of that little car.

    Hyundai/KIA has had some engine problems. Not saying all are bad. There's a difference between a simple recall & a recall related to major engine issues.

    Most people like Hyundai/KIA products, & they may be doing better than Ford, GM, Chrysler, VW & many other companies. Honda is known for great engines, & they now have models I would avoid.

    The 1.6 L powertrain of the RIO may be a good one. I really like the looks of the RIO hatchbacks. If I could buy a Matrix for the same money/mileage, I would buy the Matrix. Doesn't mean a RIO is a bad car.
    I've been searching for Vibes and Matrixes too. The problem is, thanks to Scotty Kilmer, they're hard to find under 50k miles and not clapped out lol. I wonder if an Accent hatchback would be more reliable than a Rio hatch? I know they're sister companies and share a lot of parts, but are there keys differences? I'll research. I hate the idea of giving up my Mirage Avocado, I put a lot of money into it in both amenities and maintenance, but my Mom needs a reliable car that will hopefully last another 100k miles. After that she'll probably be too old to drive. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea until I changed my strategy and said I'll drive the newly paid off G4 and we get her something new.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    here
    Country
    Aaland
    Posts
    5,332
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Wife's 2015 Optima with the stranger danger 2.4L was fine. Never had a problem with that car but got rid of it at 45k, miles. Mainly cause we all couldn't fit in the thing.

    The 2020 Sorento(v6) is fine, handles way better than my Mirage lots of power etc....But the stupid sunroof wouldn't close last fall and every time I have the keys in my pocket I manage to set the alarm off or I opened the hatch. Thankfully we don't live in the ghetto, I've left it open in the winter while at work and on the street at home overnight lol.

    A Toyota could be a more reliable car in the long run. I'd buy anything for the right dollar.

    I couldn't find a Matrix in Alberta with under 60,000miles.
    Found a couple 2013 and 2014's with 65-70k miles and they want $12,000+.
    I found a handful of 2018-2019 Rio's with 14-22k miles between $8500-12,000.
    Either car would probably last just as long if maintained properly. Maybe.

    I hear Mitsubishi Mirages had major recall/engine recalls. Something to do with knocking. I'd really just avoid that mfg altogether

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  11. #10
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    1,198
    Thanked 674 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wife's 2015 Optima with the stranger danger 2.4L was fine. Never had a problem with that car but got rid of it at 45k, miles. Mainly cause we all couldn't fit in the thing.

    The 2020 Sorento(v6) is fine, handles way better than my Mirage lots of power etc....But the stupid sunroof wouldn't close last fall and every time I have the keys in my pocket I manage to set the alarm off or I opened the hatch. Thankfully we don't live in the ghetto, I've left it open in the winter while at work and on the street at home overnight lol.

    A Toyota could be a more reliable car in the long run. I'd buy anything for the right dollar.

    I couldn't find a Matrix in Alberta with under 60,000miles.
    Found a couple 2013 and 2014's with 65-70k miles and they want $12,000+.
    I found a handful of 2018-2019 Rio's with 14-22k miles between $8500-12,000.
    Either car would probably last just as long if maintained properly. Maybe.

    I hear Mitsubishi Mirages had major recall/engine recalls. Something to do with knocking. I'd really just avoid that mfg altogether
    Thanks Fummy! Well now the plans changed. Latest development, I give my Mom my 2014 green hatch and I'll drive the G4. Meanwhile we find a slightly used Outlander Sport for her to drive! Happy wife, happy life. I feel good about the Sport or RVR because its been in production so damn long and its part prices aren't as insane as for a Mirage.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •