Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Longer a Mirage Owner

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

No Longer a Mirage Owner

I ended up selling my Mirage on Saturday. Ended up getting a great price for it through Carmax. Now that my wife and I are working from home (and have been for the last year), we simply didn't need two small commuter cars, and needed to free up some space in the driveway. I'm not leaving, just not an owner anymore.

Just wanted to address this as people may see some of my parts for sale in the classifieds section and wonder what was up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That stinks... I was holding out a small hope that I would end up with that car someday. It was so nice.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    That stinks... I was holding out a small hope that I would end up with that car someday. It was so nice.
    I loved the way it looked. Hopefully it goes to a good home. I left the Eibach sprigns on it and the JDM 5Zigen wheels on it. Hopefully someone enjoys it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I ended up selling my Mirage on Saturday. Ended up getting a great price for it through Carmax. Now that my wife and I are working from home (and have been for the last year), we simply didn't need two small commuter cars, and needed to free up some space in the driveway. I'm not leaving, just not an owner anymore.

Just wanted to address this as people may see some of my parts for sale in the classifieds section and wonder what was up.
    I sort of suspected that when the rear cargo mat appeared a few days ago. Tim & Darren started this forum & didn't own a Mirage for years.

By the way - Where's our good buddy Chad from the other side of the big pond?

Glad you feel good about the transaction. I can relate to the space issue. I can't fit my Mirage in my two car garage, because an UTV, 2 ATVs, log splitter and other things fill up half my garage. I have a 12' x 17' storage shed, & that's no help either (compact tractor, riding lawnmower, couple push mowers, tiller & mower deck for tractor, chainsaws, & whatever). Speaking of all that, it's time to go mow grass!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (05-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I sort of suspected that when the rear cargo mat appeared a few days ago. Tim & Darren started this forum & didn't own a Mirage for years.

By the way - Where's our good buddy Chad from the other side of the big pond?

Glad you feel good about the transaction. I can relate to the space issue. I can't fit my Mirage in my two car garage, because an UTV, 2 ATVs, log splitter and other things fill up half my garage. I have a 12' x 17' storage shed, & that's no help either (compact tractor, riding lawnmower, couple push mowers, tiller & mower deck for tractor, chainsaws, & whatever). Speaking of all that, it's time to go mow grass!
    The used car market is pretty nutso right now—a great time to sell off a car you don't need.

Between the two Mitsubishi Pajeros, the Delica, the Toyota Yaris, and the occasional review vehicles we get (I currently have a 2021 Nissan Armada taking up—literally—half my driveway right now), it was starting to get a bit cramped. It was doable, don't get me wrong. But there just wasn't much need to have the Mirage and our trusty old Yaris, so we figured we'd sell the Mirage and throw some money in the bank.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    The used car market is pretty nutso right now—a great time to sell off a car you don't need.

Between the two Mitsubishi Pajeros, the Delica, the Toyota Yaris, and the occasional review vehicles we get (I currently have a 2021 Nissan Armada taking up—literally—half my driveway right now), it was starting to get a bit cramped. It was doable, don't get me wrong. But there just wasn't much need to have the Mirage and our trusty old Yaris, so we figured we'd sell the Mirage and throw some money in the bank.
    More space, less car insurance, needs change! If I had owned an old Yaris with a manual, I wouldn't be here myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just curious if you got quotes from Vroom, Carvana and Carmax.

Carmax has some crazy pricing on low mileage Mirages!

Name:  mirage11.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  89.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the NMC.

Figure it out lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (05-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just curious if you got quotes from Vroom, Carvana and Carmax.

Carmax has some crazy pricing on low mileage Mirages!

Name:  mirage11.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  89.4 KB
    So I actually ended up selling it to Carmax for $9,400. That was for a 2017 ES 5MT with 18,275 miles on it. I paid $9,600 for it new in 2017, so that's fine with me.

I see my local Carmaxes have two Mirages: One's a 2015 DE with 61,000 miles for $6,998, the other is a 2019 for SE with 7,000 miles on it for $13,998.

Keep in mind, one year ago, I was asking $8,000 USD for ours and I got a total of zero tire kickers to come look at the car. I likely would've taken $7,500 for it back then. But, we opted to keep it. Then I heard about the spike in new car prices, so I started looking at the car's worth. Private party value for my Mirage is between $9,100 and $11,700 (!), so a quick sale to Carmax for $9,400 was as no-brainer for us.

Heck, I started looking around for cheap Mirages the next day to sell to Carmax!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-05-2021),MirageRally (05-05-2021),Pryme (05-05-2021),Top_Fuel (05-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Technically you still have a Mirage: the Yaris kinda looks like a Mirage JK...JK...I still look for 08-12 Yaris sedans as l like the old simplicity of them.
    The Mirage was a fine car. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one at all and have many times.

Before my Yaris, I had never kept a car more than about three years. I've had it for 14 years this August. It's been a very good vehicle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-07-2021)