Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Week with Mirage- Pluses and Minuses

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I don't think so. Unless you are driving really slow, the extra drag of the open windows costs more than the A/C.
    Calling B.S. on that one. No matter what the testing nerds proved / disproved on TV or the internet. I worked as a design engineer in automotive. I did A/C audits, testing, etc as part of my tenure at Hyundai-Kia. I also did direct physical, dynamic in car testing too on controlled test tracks. But we can all choose what we want to believe, so I don't expect you to change your belief. Nor am I calling or insinuating any inferiority on your part, or superiority on my part. Just saying I've been there and experienced much automotive engineering research. (I say these things because I don't want to fight / argue or rub anyone the wrong way. I just want peace in my life.)

And besides, I specifically put down both left sides, and leave the right sides closed. It doesn't rearrange the stuff on the interior (as much) done this way, and doesn't buffet in my left ear either. Nor does it create the amount of drag of putting all the windows down. And is more comfortable than with all the windows down.

Unless it's blame hot (that's a southern technical measurement), I suggest you try both left side windows. It's wonderful. I tend to close the windows on the interstates though, as I don't care for all the noise. I use the A/C as needed with the windows up.

Peace be unto us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I get an extra 5mpg with only one side rolled down, depending on which way the wind is blowing. It works just like a sail on a boat! At least that's what I'm going with. I didn't actually test this out, I just made it up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

twister77 (05-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I did A/C audits, testing, etc as part of my tenure at Hyundai-Kia. I also did direct physical, dynamic in car testing too on controlled test tracks.
    Any chance you can post & share some of that data? Also, do the numbers change any with different model vehicles?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An aftermarket rear sway bar will do wonders for your handling.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Day 3- The Mirage is fast becoming just a car to use for work. I'm already getting out of the- hey I got a new car- phase and just driving it. Getting the bad out of the way first. The seat belt chime drove me batty again today. Not sure why it bothered me more than yesterday. I'm getting clips for em, but I'd really like to just figure out how to disconnect it.

Now to the good: We had rain all day. It made for a great way to get acclimated to the Mirage in these conditions. Wipers were smooth. No streaks or noise. The intermittent was excellent for various rain amounts.

The handling is awesome. I tried to post a pic, but I got grayed out and lost my post. Maybe cuz I'm new? Anyway, there were 2 vehicles parked 4 spaces from each other. I did a U-turn between em. Stuff like that saves a few seconds per stop. Over the course of 40 stops, it might come out to 5 minutes or so. Over the course of a week, that's a half hour. Over the course of a year, that's 26 hours.

I filled up for the first time today. 256.3 miles. 6.693 gallons. 38.29MPG. $19.87 I don't think I'll ever hit 40, but considering I stop over 40 times per day for a minute or 2 each time that's pretty good. I would have spent $37.93 in my Fusion. So real pleased there. I'm transferring $18.06 into my savings account. It will be fun to watch it grow.

7Milesout- I see what ya mean about it handling 75. In some areas I'm fine going that fast. I think one of the differences might be the roads where you're at are so much better than Michigan's. I had some problems today, but it was the exact same spot as before. What's happening is I'm getting stuck in truck grooves in the highway and it's winding me back and forth. Once I got off those, it was fine. The first time it happened, I thought it was the car. Now I realize it's just that section of road. So you are correct. It can handle it.

Mark- I "think" I've got it figured out. Not sure yet. Temp was fine throughout the day, so I didn't really mess with it. The one time I turned the fan up, it blew out more air. Cruise is a biggie to have. On my route I really don't need it. I have two 25 mile sections of highway I travel, but it's not needed there. It was raining today so I didn't use it. For longer trips it's nice to have. A few years ago I went to Colorado. My mom had a lease, and had hardly used any miles with the lease almost up. So she wanted me to use her car. A few hundred miles into the trip, I realized she didn't have cruise.

I'm a softie. I was an Over the Road driver before this local stuff. Cruise was a big plus when going long distances. Actually, in looking for cars- before I bought my Fusion, I would have bought a Focus if it had cruise. It was a really nice car, but it didn't have cruise control.

Oh, and I saw my first Mirage at a gas station today. Not where I filled up, but one I was driving by. I'd seen one other one, but it was on the road. There aren't very many of these out there it seems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You need to take advantage of your manual stop & go feature on your Mirage while waiting for a train to pass! I prefer it over auto stop & go!
    Is this real or one of those rookie initiation things? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Is this real or one of those rookie initiation things? =)
    I assume he means turn your car off

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Calling B.S. on that one. No matter what the testing nerds proved / disproved on TV or the internet. I worked as a design engineer in automotive. I did A/C audits, testing, etc as part of my tenure at Hyundai-Kia. I also did direct physical, dynamic in car testing too on controlled test tracks. But we can all choose what we want to believe, so I don't expect you to change your belief. Nor am I calling or insinuating any inferiority on your part, or superiority on my part. Just saying I've been there and experienced much automotive engineering research. (I say these things because I don't want to fight / argue or rub anyone the wrong way. I just want peace in my life.)

And besides, I specifically put down both left sides, and leave the right sides closed. It doesn't rearrange the stuff on the interior (as much) done this way, and doesn't buffet in my left ear either. Nor does it create the amount of drag of putting all the windows down. And is more comfortable than with all the windows down.

Unless it's blame hot (that's a southern technical measurement), I suggest you try both left side windows. It's wonderful. I tend to close the windows on the interstates though, as I don't care for all the noise. I use the A/C as needed with the windows up.

Peace be unto us.
    Something you mentioned made me say I hate that! The buffeting in the ear with one window down! My mirage always did that and it was so annoying and my tundra did it too! Interestingly though my corolla doesn't do it!

Always wondered what causes it because it's so annoying but I used to crack the other side window and it went away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Yeah, I hate that too. And when my hair gets long, it messes up my Brad Pitt hairdo. But with the rear window down too (same side) 90% of that buffeting goes away. It is wonderful.

That's my only complaint about driving my truck. I have to endure the wind in the ear buffeting. Most of the time I drop the right side only window in my truck. No wind in the ear, and the exhaust is on that side, so it works pretty good. It is a quad cab but the rear window don't roll down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I hate that too. And when my hair gets long, it messes up my Brad Pitt hairdo. But with the rear window down too (same side) 90% of that buffeting goes away. It is wonderful.

That's my only complaint about driving my truck. I have to endure the wind in the ear buffeting. Most of the time I drop the right side only window in my truck. No wind in the ear, and the exhaust is on that side, so it works pretty good. It is a quad cab but the rear window don't roll down.
    What truck doesn't have roll down rear windows? Must be a work type specific thing.