Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First Week with Mirage- Pluses and Minuses

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Why do you say the enasaves are so bad?
    Horrific performance in wet weather, quality control issues (sidewall bulges, blowouts), expensive and anything sharper than your wit will cause a flat. Other than that they are excellent!

Last edited by inuvik; 05-10-2021 at 06:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Horrific performance in wet weather, quality control issues (sidewall bulges, blowouts), expensive and anything sharper than your wit will cause a flat. Other than that they are excellent!
    Can confirm. Though I'm running the original 7-8 year old enasaves on my black car that were on my white one when I bought it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We didn't have any issues with either of our mirages and my Corolla has enasaves and it's really smooth. I mean I would price different tires when it's time but don't find them dreadful.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    We didn't have any issues with either of our mirages and my Corolla has enasaves and it's really smooth. I mean I would price different tires when it's time but don't find them dreadful.
    I ended up with 5 flats in 30k miles and in the very wet Oregon Coast they were terrifying especially when they hydroplaned at the sight of any puddle or groove in the highway that might collect water. At that point they were 100% low rolling resistant!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The limitation of the factory MPG readout is that it only updates every 30 or 60 seconds (I can't remember which it is).

I'm not trying to talk you into spending more money, but something like a Scangauge shows instantaneous fuel economy and can help you adjust your driving habits because you will get immediate MPG feedback. This device also displays gauges (coolant temperature, voltmeter, etc.) and can read/clear OBDII trouble codes.

If you haven't done it already, consider adding a few extra PSI to your tires. That can be worth a solid 1 MPG gain. I run tire pressures around 50 PSI (which is still below the max PSI rating of the tires I use). That may sound extreme, but with the mushy factory suspension, I barely even notice it.
    I love the idea of the scanner. I already have a Blue Driver for scanning. I've used this thing a fair amount. Before I got my mini van, this OBDII tool was used to scan vehicles I might buy to see the codes. Not surprisingly, quite a few used cars had a gazillion codes. The van I bought was like the 15th I looked at. I didn't even know what you posted existed. There's a lot of duplication in the Scangauge and Blue Driver. The Blue Driver doesn't let you look at running data though- unless maybe ya use your phone. I'm not sure, but even then I need my phone for my job, so I can't be plugging it in/out all the time. I'm looking at the various ones that display information. I like the ones that reflect in the window, so ya don't have to look down at a gauge.

I'm ok w/ spending a few $$. Yea I came off as tight when wanting a Mirage in the first place. At the same time, I have no qualms in getting after market products that can make the vehicle more comfy, stable, or what have ya. I'm in the car quite a bit- over 1,000 miles/week. I want some comfort/features to make my drive more enjoyable. That stabilizer bar mentioned above is something I'll look into. The rust coating I missed the appointment date, Mondays- but I'll have that for sure before winter. Then I'm seriously considering 15 inch tires for when the time comes. I'll stick with what I have for now. I don't have quite 1,000 miles on it- but when I get more of a feel for what happens when I get what item (like does MPG change w/ bigger tires)- I'll make some more decisions.

At 7500 miles- my first oil change- I'll decide on the tires. By then I should have the tools to change and balance my own tires.

Great idea on the gauge. I don't think I'll end up w/ that brand due to not needing everything it offers- but I'll have something similar. I'm looking at this model. It has average and instantaneous fuel consumption, plus water temp, voltage, and a few other things. I might not get this exact model either, but I'll have something along these lines. Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I love the idea of the scanner. I already have a Blue Driver for scanning. I've used this thing a fair amount. Before I got my mini van, this OBDII tool was used to scan vehicles I might buy to see the codes. Not surprisingly, quite a few used cars had a gazillion codes. The van I bought was like the 15th I looked at. I didn't even know what you posted existed. There's a lot of duplication in the Scangauge and Blue Driver. The Blue Driver doesn't let you look at running data though- unless maybe ya use your phone. I'm not sure, but even then I need my phone for my job, so I can't be plugging it in/out all the time. I'm looking at the various ones that display information. I like the ones that reflect in the window, so ya don't have to look down at a gauge.

I'm ok w/ spending a few $$. Yea I came off as tight when wanting a Mirage in the first place. At the same time, I have no qualms in getting after market products that can make the vehicle more comfy, stable, or what have ya. I'm in the car quite a bit- over 1,000 miles/week. I want some comfort/features to make my drive more enjoyable. That stabilizer bar mentioned above is something I'll look into. The rust coating I missed the appointment date, Mondays- but I'll have that for sure before winter. Then I'm seriously considering 15 inch tires for when the time comes. I'll stick with what I have for now. I don't have quite 1,000 miles on it- but when I get more of a feel for what happens when I get what item (like does MPG change w/ bigger tires)- I'll make some more decisions.

At 7500 miles- my first oil change- I'll decide on the tires. By then I should have the tools to change and balance my own tires.

Great idea on the gauge. I don't think I'll end up w/ that brand due to not needing everything it offers- but I'll have something similar. I'm looking at this model. It has average and instantaneous fuel consumption, plus water temp, voltage, and a few other things. I might not get this exact model either, but I'll have something along these lines. Thanks again.
    If you're driving over 52k miles a year I think you can skip the ole rustproofing lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Just my opinion & nothing more -

I wouldn't waste any tires. I am still using a pair of my original factory Enasave tires this summer, & I am over 49,000 miles on my Mirage. I have other tires that I use during the winter months, but I am still using up my Enasave tires this summer. This may be their last summer, however.

I don't have a high opinion of the Enasave tires, and the price of them is just plain silly. That doesn't keep me from using up the ones that came with the car. I do have a single Enasave (with 15,000 miles on it) in my garage, because I replaced a pair of tires when one blew out in 2018. If I had lost a second one, I would have used it.

If you are planning to drive a 1,000/week, you'll be replacing tires soon enough! You should be able to get 30,000-40,000 mile out of them if your alignment is good. I'd rather make an extra car payment than waste money on tires I don't need yet, but that's just me.

Beware...These Mirages are pretty picky about what you plug into the obdII port. My work uses gps trackers in everything. The old pre 1994 stuff got hardwired devices and everything else got the plug in obdII style. Shortly after, maybe a week or so, a handful of Mirages started throwing abs/trac control lights, would have no throttle at random, and sometimes just reduced power. The dealer had no idea what was happening and couldn't replicate it. None of the other vehicles in the fleet had this problem, Nissan,gm, ford, dodge, etc...In the end we had to exchange the plug in gps for hardwired ones.

Other people on here had similar problems with other obdII dongle wifi things. I haven't heard of problems with the scan gauge though. Lots of people on this forum use the Scangauge in their Mirage.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-13-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Scan gauge good other stuff is questionable/hit or miss

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If you're driving over 52k miles a year I think you can skip the ole rustproofing lol.
    I thought the same thing!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-11-2021)

Or if anything consider a bug deflector to do a little bit to make it look slightly less ghetto in 1 year. The paint is thing. Our high mileage car looks like it's followed one too many sanding trucks. The hood and the roof above the windshield too most of the beating, and are getting rusty. I couldn't keep up with touching it up with a paint pen all the time and just let nature take over.
    It's a new trend, rusty, newish, high mileage, cheap car. Better than a squated truck.