Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Week with Mirage- Pluses and Minuses

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sunday- had this thing almost a week now. No bad to report. The AC thing I'll fess up as an "I'm an idiot." I know something is different about it, but I'm not sure exactly what. I'm not sure what happened, but I've kind of got it down now. Not sure how to explain it. There was no Aha moment. I just kind of subconsciously get it to the temp/air speed I want.

Filled up before my trip. I noticed I don't have time to finish cleaning my windows before the pump is done. Actually, the first time I filled it, it was raining- so I just sat in my car. I'd barely sat down and the pump went off. That was kind of nice. On this fill up, 220.2 miles. 5.908 gallons. MPG 37.27- My other car would have been $32.11 to fill, so a savings of $14.86. I've noticed the MPG gauge is about a mile and a half over what I actually get.

On my trip up there, I kept it mostly under 75. I passed exactly one 4 wheeler. That's a car w/ no trailer, and no trucks. The MPG gauge is what I had on my screen for the trip. I was getting 40+ even at some pretty solid speeds. I noticed it went up the last 30 miles of my trip. That's when I got off the highway, and went on to a road w/ a 55MPH speed limit. There's a few lights, but not many. My route is the main road for most of this section, and don't really hit too many lights. If I do, they aren't red for long. The MPG gauge got as high as 48 on this stretch of road coming back. Then back on the highway coming home it went down some.

When I pulled in to fill up, the gauge said 44.1- When I filled up, I got 42.76- I'll take it.

What slayed me, in a good way- was the last 70 miles of the trip. I know something isn't accurate- but I got 75.6MPG in actual fill up. The last fill up I got off the highway to avoid construction on Southbound I-75. This takes ya on a road similar to the last 30 miles of the trip heading up there. My MPG gauge was reading north of 50. I think it got as high as 54. I got a pic of 51.6- Anyway, I wanted to see if I could get 50MPG for real, as up to now the gauge has shown me about 1.5 miles more than I actually get.

I knew it would be a super small sample of miles- about 70- but dangit, I wanted to get the 50MPG for real. I got more than I hoped for.

The math comes out to 69.7 miles, .922 gallons, 75.6MPG. I topped it off. I usually top my vehicles off w/ 4 squeezes after the pump clanks/stops pumping. I did 4 and I still didn't have a gallon in there. I was thinking that this can't be right. So I did 6 this time. I still didn't have a gallon in there. I was going to go for more, but I didn't want fuel on my new car. I know on my HHR, when I got a high or low MPG for a fill up, the next one kind of evened it out. So I'm guessing the same thing happened here. The full trip was 413.8 miles, 8.968 gallons- 46.14 MPG

Some things I noticed- If you keep it under 70, you're going to get some great MPG. I get that's a no chyt Sherlock type comment, but the MPG gauge kind of shows ya where your prime MPG ranges are. I drive 60 in the construction zones anyway, so that helps. Being behind trucks (not super driving or anything- just regular travel) helps quite a bit. It was interesting to see the MPG gauge at different driving situations.

Not counting trucks or vehicles w/ trailers, I passed exactly 1 each way. Other than that I was the slowest person on the highway. I'll have to run some numbers to see about time vs MPG. I'm not going to lose 30 minutes to save 1MPG (though I might one time if that 1 MPG is the difference between 49 and 50), but if going 70 gets me 5 more MPG than 75, count me in.

I also wanted to note the comfort was fine. I loved it when I first sat in it before I bought it. Liked it a lot for a few days until I got up to around 100 miles in it for that day. Then it got uncomfy for some reason. I took my Purple Pillow on this trip, but I ended up not needing it. As of now, the comfort is pretty good all day long. No real reason as to why, except maybe my back is getting used to it.

The fuel savings over my Fusion was over $50, and I haven't had it a full week yet. Before I bought it, I was thinking it would be closer to $75/week, but two things I mis-calculated was that I'd get 40MPG in city (I'm in the high 30s) and was figuring the 400 mile trip was at 20MPG in my Fusion. The Fusion got 27 on the highway, at much higher speeds. So it's not a total apples to apples MPG $$ savings on the highway driving part of it. Still, I'm pretty happy at not putting an extra $200/month in the fuel tank.

I also think my MPG will go up a bit because I'm driving it better. I already have almost 1,000 miles on it. I'm getting a seat belt extender for the chimes. Not having to wait to come to a complete stop 40 times a day means a couple of seconds each stop of it not sitting there idling. That will add up over time.

Last edited by Danny; 05-10-2021 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Mis spelled "now" as "know"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-10-2021)

It's funny that you would have been happy with 40mpg but now want to get 50. I originally would have been happy getting 35 but drive much differently(light footed) in the Mirage than everything else we own.

Always seem to be in search of the next personal best fuel economy numbers lol. And the added bonus of trying to squeeze the most miles per gallon is that you put less strain and unnecessary wear on your car by not flooring it everywhere and next to no worry of of speeding tickets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    LOL!! Right. It's because ya see better on the vehicle MPG gauge and also cuz I've read where some of you guys are getting 50. During the week I have to get to work. I have a route. I have times I have to be somewhere and so on. So after figuring out the basics, plus a thing or 2- I have to get to work.

On Sunday I have 8 hours to do what takes a touch over 6. There's time to play, tinker, etc. Then ya can't help but notice things. In a construction zone I got behind a truck. We were both doing 60, where people were flying by us. I've known about truck drafts since college in the 80s. I never drove to save fuel like that though. Even if I had tried, I wouldn't have known what % being behind the truck improved my MPG. This was quite a few miles, and I think my gauge went up to 54 in that part of the trip.

I'm not going to start getting behind trucks to save MPG. For one I have no interest in being a dufas. I hated when people did that when I drove one. Plus there's rocks that fly back from those things.

It was then that I started thinking about things I've read on here. AHA!! That's how these guys and gals get 50+!! You're 100% right on driving it easier. My intent before having this was to stay with the flow of traffic and just get the best MPG I could. That's 85MPH though. I don't really think the car can handle that speed for long distances. So I went w/ 70-75 on the way up, and saw the difference on the MPG gauge. I saw a drastic difference.

Except for when I drove a truck, I've never been the slowest vehicle on the highway. In a car I don't really care what speed I go. I drive to be alone on the highway for as much as possible. Going that slow, I realized that people adjusted for me. On the way up, I had one motorcycle ride with me for awhile. I had one person who passed me, then stayed 2 car lengths in front of me (grrr) for a bit. I slowed down, and so did he. C'mon dude. Finally I turned on my flashers and went down to 55. He then pulled away. That's it though. For a 400 mile trip, that's pretty dang good in terms of dealing w/ people too close.

That's another thing I like about this car. The flashers don't make the click noise every time they flash. I might try a slower speed yet w/ my flashers on the whole way back one time. Or I can try it on the 25 mile stretch of my daily route and see what happens.

So yea, if I had just bought the car and never heard of this site- I would have been happy w/ the times I got 40. I have a few guys at work who when I asked the MPG on their car, specifically said "on the highway I can get over 40." They're real proud, and they should be. It's nice to also be able to do that, and maybe even improve on it. I'm not going to tell anyone unless I'm asked. The only time MPG has come up in vehicles is when I've initiated the question because I was looking for a different car.

That MPG gauge is pretty handy. The Fusion had one, but it always read 17 or so. That's not something I wanted to look at all the time. At least the actual MPG was better than what the vehicle stated, but otherwise there was nothing positive about it. With the Mirage, the gauge is solid to have up there. Different situations give different readings, so I'll drive accordingly. Then add in what I've read on this site, and I know some pretty impressive things are possible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That MPG gauge is pretty handy.
    The limitation of the factory MPG readout is that it only updates every 30 or 60 seconds (I can't remember which it is).

I'm not trying to talk you into spending more money, but something like a Scangauge shows instantaneous fuel economy and can help you adjust your driving habits because you will get immediate MPG feedback. This device also displays gauges (coolant temperature, voltmeter, etc.) and can read/clear OBDII trouble codes.

If you haven't done it already, consider adding a few extra PSI to your tires. That can be worth a solid 1 MPG gain. I run tire pressures around 50 PSI (which is still below the max PSI rating of the tires I use). That may sound extreme, but with the mushy factory suspension, I barely even notice it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The limitation of the factory MPG readout is that it only updates every 30 or 60 seconds (I can't remember which it is).

I'm not trying to talk you into spending more money, but something like a Scangauge shows instantaneous fuel economy and can help you adjust your driving habits because you will get immediate MPG feedback. This device also displays gauges (coolant temperature, voltmeter, etc.) and can read/clear OBDII trouble codes.

If you haven't done it already, consider adding a few extra PSI to your tires. That can be worth a solid 1 MPG gain. I run tire pressures around 50 PSI (which is still below the max PSI rating of the tires I use). That may sound extreme, but with the mushy factory suspension, I barely even notice it.
    Scangauge 2 is awesome.

Remember that that 50psi cold will be way higher after running down the freeway for a long drive in summer.

I usually run 38psi. I might try 40 though soon now that snow is behind me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

I was going to recommend something similar like 40-44 psi. I think the factory tire pressure is something like 32-34 psi. Also, this is the first year that the Mirages have come with Falken tires as OEM. I'm not certain they are low rolling resistance like the Enasaves were but those were awful awful tires but with super low rolling resistance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I was going to recommend something similar like 40-44 psi. I think the factory tire pressure is something like 32-34 psi. Also, this is the first year that the Mirages have come with Falken tires as OEM. I'm not certain they are low rolling resistance like the Enasaves were but those were awful awful tires but with super low rolling resistance.
    Why do you say the enasaves are so bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Scangauge 2 is awesome.

Remember that that 50psi cold will be way higher after running down the freeway for a long drive in summer.

I usually run 38psi. I might try 40 though soon now that snow is behind me.
    Top Fuel did state for his tires, and he is currently running 185/65r15 tires I believe..

I have 165/65r14 tires that are rated differently (44, 47, & 51) psi maximum tire pressures.

I wouldn't recommend going over those ratings, but I will do 40-42 on the 44 psi tires when cold without issue. The pressure surely goes up as they warm up, but I would check tire pressures & add air when cold.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Why do you say the enasaves are so bad?
    I'll state why I don't care for Enasave tires.

1. They are currently $147/tire (Walmart prices today).

2. They have sidewall issues. I lost one @ 15,000 miles. There was no reason for that. It was on the rear driver's side, too. Thus, no way curb rash was an issue.

3. Traction & wear aren't all that great for that price of a tire.

Today's new 2021 Mirages no longer come with Enasave tires.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    I don't like to follow trucks real close drafting, because I'm afraid of what they may straddle that I won't see until the last second.

I'd lay money on the 5 speed car being able to handle 85 mph all day every day (assuming maintenance and repair are kept up). But as for efficiency, I've noticed more reward for low rpm in this car than I have for any other. If I shift at 3,000 rpm and just take my sweet time, this car knocks out spectacular mpg.

Down south, if I use the cruise control, I usually wind up alone. Because most people, on the interstate, like to run as hard as their car can go, right on each other's bumpers. And I'm never going as fast as they want. My sister is just like the rest of them. Within a 100 mile stint on the interstate, I'd say she winds up with her foot to the floor probably 20 times, just trying to get past the "slow butts" who are already doing 15 mph over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)