Thread: How to: change the fuel economy display between MPG, L/100 km, km/L for more feedback

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb How to: change the fuel economy display between MPG, L/100 km, km/L for more feedback

This will probably be of more interest to fuel economy nerds who live in metric places...

Below are the instructions from the owner's manual (2014 US edition, pp. 3-107, 3-108).

But my instructions are more clear, since they were not translated from Japanese through Google Translate by a sub-par programmer for publication in a booklet.

1. When viewing one of the average fuel consumption screens (A or B), press and hold the reset button.
    2. You'll hear a single beep when the display resets. After 5 seconds, you'll hear TWO beeps. Don't let go of the button yet!
    3. As long as you continue holding the button, the units will now cycle in sequence through MPG --> km/L --> L/100 km --> MPG, changing about once per second.
    4. When the desired units are displayed, let go of the button.

Name:  mirage-fuel-consumption-uni.gif
Views: 4617
Size:  48.1 KB

Aside: this is yet another dumb programming approach in the information display ... why force the user to reset the gauge in order to switch units? Duh! (The other dumb feature is the hidden "B" MPG gauge - you can't get to "B" by simply paging through the various screens in the normal, intuitive way.)

ANYWAY! ENOUGH COMPLAINING! (I AM IN FACT HAPPY that the Mirage has 2 resettable fuel consumption displays, though I also wish it had an "instant" display, like the Nissan Micra.)

Back on track... Why would you want to switch fuel consumption units?

Because the higher your fuel economy goes, the higher the resolution is in "MPG" units. There's more potential updates/feedback.

EG: in the top pic, you see 4.3 L/100 km from Fummins' recent personal-record-setting commute. That converts to 54.7 MPG (US).

The smallest possible change you're going to see next in metric is either 4.4 (boo!) or 4.2 (yay!) L/100 km = 53.5 or 56 MPG

However if you're viewing the equivalent range in MPG, there are 25 possible values to display in that same range, from 53.5 through 53.6 ... 53.7 ... ---> 56.0

More feedback is better! So, me being a hardcore fuel economy nerd, that's why I like to see fuel economy in MPG.

And now that I've looked up (again) how to switch it, I just did it. Yay.

This is what my "B" gauge currently says:

Name:  20210507_104227_1620398669679_resized.jpg
Views: 4475
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  20210507_104310_1620398670381_resized.jpg
Views: 5283
Size:  60.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-07-2021),inuvik (05-07-2021),precisionxt (05-07-2021)