Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLVED: Car won't start. (No clicks, nothing. Intermittent problem. )

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

SOLVED: Car won't start. (No clicks, nothing. Intermittent problem. )

I have a question. Since purchasing the car in February (2019 mirage) the car has had a problem starting. it is a CVT

What has already been checked:
    Battery measured (load test, they see no problems)
    Error check (no errors found)

What happens. the car in all cases is used in the morning for 30 minutes driving. Then the car in the longest case was parked for 2 hours. When starting the car all dashboard lights and radio come on, but as soon as you turn your key to start the engine nothing happens. No clicks, nothing.

Eventually, it does work but it is strange
    first time from Parking shift to Neutral and back, remove key and put the key in again, and yes it is starting.

Did the same thing the next 2 times and when that didn't help take out the key again waited a few minutes and then the engine starts. This is so vague that the dealer can't do anything with it.

The problem has occurred 3 times now and 2 times in the last 2 weeks. Advice from the dealer is to use the 2nd key. but this key has no door lock and unlock. And this option is very handy. And it is not convenient to carry 2 keys with you to use the second key when it happens again.

Does anyone have an idea?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 05-11-2021 at 03:52 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Check the switch on your gear shift lever. CVT models have a switch that keeps the engine from starting if it's in Drive or Reverse. If this switch is out of alignment it'll keep your Mirage from starting even if the shift lever is in Park. There's a post around here somewhere that describes the problem and fix - and it's an easy fix. In the meantime, try lifting your gearshift lever up and see if that allows your engine to start. If that does the trick, then the problem is likely that little switch.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-08-2021 at 12:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Here's a couple of threads on the little switch:

Door Locks Stopped Working...Sort Of - Fixed! CVT Shifter Not Fully Seated in Park

Can't remove key from ignition (bent microswitch on CVT shifter)

On the other hand you're not noticing or mentioning these other symptoms so maybe it's something else?...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

ToXiQ (05-08-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hello Eggman,

Can you explain where I find this Switch? "Check the switch on your gear shift lever" We driving two CVTs and there is not a Switch on the selector lever. I probably don't get this translated the correct way

it's my wife's car and today it wouldn't start again. The following has been tried. Moved gear shift from Parking mode to neutral and back to parking mode. Key out of the ignition and back in again and try to start. This did not work. She got out of the car and a few minutes later after a cup of coffee, she tried again. The car started immediately.

I readed your linked topics, we do not recognize or have these problems

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

So, your car doesn't crank over but if you pull the key out, leave and come back later it'll crank then start?

The first thing I'd check is the battery cables, are they both tight at the battery?

When it doesn't start is there any security light on the cluster?

Does this problem only occur when you use your keyless entry key? If your spare (non-keyless) key works fine then I think you already figured out the problem and ignore all the above.

The microswitch on the shifter won't stop the starter from working, it'll stop the key from turning off(IIRC).

But if the PRNDL switch on the transmission goes wonky for some weird reason, you could try moving the shifter while you hold the key to start.

One other complete shart in the dark would be bad/poor connection somewhere, I've seen lots of problems behind the LH kick panel at the lowest connector(corrosion), and below the driver's seat(LH)(under the carpet) there's a connector plug that corrodes in extreme cases and I had one car that had something loose under the dash near the fuse box. A handful of cars had a broken wire or 2 along the wiring harness on the front of the engine, usually causing charging issues, but the wire going to the starter solenoid could be in that bundle too.

And....Years ago a few work cars wouldn't start when it was cold out. Turned out to be a relay or two under the hood. They were 2017's.

Could also be the starter but usually those either work or don't.

It's kinda hard to diagnose something through the interwebs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-11-2021),ToXiQ (05-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

True, but you do a good job. Provided several leads for them to check. Gremlins are a pain.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hello Fummins,

I reply inline for you.

So, your car doesn't crank over but if you pull the key out, leave and come back later it'll crank then start?

The first thing I'd check is the battery cables, are they both tight at the battery?
    Checked by the dealer
    When it doesn't start is there any security light on the cluster?
    Nope

Does this problem only occur when you use your keyless entry key? If your spare (non-keyless) key works fine then I think you already figured out the problem and ignore all the above.
    This car doesn't have the keyless entry key only a door lock unlock and a spare key without any fancy things

The microswitch on the shifter won't stop the starter from working, it'll stop the key from turning off(IIRC).
    Ok no problems here

But if the PRNDL switch on the transmission goes wonky for some weird reason, you could try moving the shifter while you hold the key to start.
    Will try this next time we have the problem

One other complete shart in the dark would be bad/poor connection somewhere, I've seen lots of problems behind the LH kick panel at the lowest connector(corrosion), and below the driver's seat(LH)(under the carpet) there's a connector plug that corrodes in extreme cases and I had one car that had something loose under the dash near the fuse box. A handful of cars had a broken wire or 2 along the wiring harness on the front of the engine, usually causing charging issues, but the wire going to the starter solenoid could be in that bundle too.

And....Years ago a few work cars wouldn't start when it was cold out. Turned out to be a relay or two under the hood. They were 2017's.

Could also be the starter but usually those either work or don't.
    We will leave these tips for the dealership, the car has a warranty

So true :-), I never read a problem like this here on the forum. Thanks for your tips.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    "Advice from the dealer is to use the 2nd key. but this key has no door lock and unlock. And this option is very handy."

Quoting you, doesn't this mean your Mirage has keyless remote entry?

"This car doesn't have the keyless entry key only a door lock unlock and a spare key without any fancy things."

What do you consider "keyless entry"?

If you have buttons to lock/unlock your car on one of your Mirage key, isn't that keyless remote entry? If you don't have keyless remote entry, you must insert the key in the door and unlock the car manually.

Our base level Mirages come with two chipped, programmed keys with keyless remote entry buttons. I've made a third chipped key that would require me to manually unlock the car.

If you can unlock your car without stuffing the key into the door lock cylinder then I call that keyless entry. Same with throwing a rock through the window. A key with lock/unlock buttons is what I call keyless entry, pretty clear as mud.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-09-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hello Mark,

I have misread that, my own car doesn't use a key (I know that is a key too), I have to push a button to start the car.

But this car has the following key's

Type 1 –
    key with electronic immobilizer with Key number plate

Type 2 –
    key with electronic immobilizer & keyless entry system
    We don't have the same keys.

You are right, the dealer advised to use the none "keyless" entry key. However, they never said when you don't have problems after x time we will change the "keyless entry" key for you. That is in our opinion, not a solution, we bought a car with "keyless entry" key .

I found the instruction on this forum to duplicate a key. But that is not working on European cars unfortunately.