Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0107

P0107

Got a car in for an oil change and check engine light. Code is p0107-map sensor. I have an engine on the floor so figured wtf, It'll take 30 seconds to swap it and I can check the connector at the same time. Cleared the code, light didn't come back on. Great..

Went to pull it out of the shop, cel was on...Hooked up the scanner, check the live data, no map sensor data. I learned many moons ago about how crappy the wiring is and how over-tightened the zip ties holding the harness to some brackets are from the factoria. Fired up the car and watched the map data while I wiggled wires hoping there might be a chance of making a connection in the probably broken harness. It worked! I was able to basically pinpoint where to hack open the wiring harness and glue the wire(s) back together.

Pics to come, maybe. Seems like it's broken right where the map sensor harness joins the engine harness. Basically right above the map sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-13-2021),ThunderG (05-12-2021)

All 3 wires from the maf sensor were effered. And the big power wire going to the alternator was begining to wear through as well. The harness is wrapped in 1 layer of the cheapest non-sticky electrical tape then zip tied to a metal bracket(/coolant tubes going to the throttle body) that's grounded to the engine. What could go wrong?

I forgot to mention, this is on a 2017 with 320,000kms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-13-2021),Top_Fuel (05-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    All 3 wires from the maf sensor were effered. And the big power wire going to the alternator was begining to wear through as well. The harness is wrapped in 1 layer of the cheapest non-sticky electrical tape then zip tied to a metal bracket(/coolant tubes going to the throttle body) that's grounded to the engine. What could go wrong?

Would you recommend removing the zip tie to help reduce this issue?

Removing them altogether might just make things worse if you already have wires pinched and worn through.

It probably wouldn't hurt to cut most of the factory pinch points(zip ties), cut the tape with a razor blade and take a peak for any noticeable wear and fix as needed. Then give a few extra wraps of tape around the harness and re zip tie the harness to the brackets. Not as tight as the factory did. Which shouldn't be hard, most zip ties I use at home just break before even getting snug.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What could go wrong?

320,000 kms is good for any car. Seems like a car has a harder time in Alberta than in Florida, not sure if that is true or not. Everyone in Ontario says out West they don't salt the roads the same as in Ontario. Not sure if that's true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Everyone in Ontario says out West they don't salt the roads the same as in Ontario.
    They're wrong.

I'd buy a car that lived in Florida over Alberta any day. If I were looking for something rust free that is. My 94 Firebird was from Florida and my 99' Fummins was from Texas and Florida before I got them. They were both still rust free when I sold them a few years ago.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh I believe it. Like those old Chevy Bel Airs they still drive in Havana. Those Firebirds were made in quebec if I'm not mistaken. So many cars were made between Detroit and Quebec City, no wonder they never built the monorail.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Lights off, runs fine. Like it did before lol. The yellow wire was completely broken and the other 2 looked okay until I pulled on them a little and they just pulled apart with no resistance. So the wires were broken and only held together by what was left of the wire insulation.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-12-2021),ThunderG (05-12-2021),Top_Fuel (05-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    That looks like an act of sabotage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)