Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I'll be! Best Mirage review [2021] I've seen in a long time! Driving.ca

Well I'll be! Best Mirage review [2021] I've seen in a long time! Driving.ca

Name:  Screenshot_2021-05-14 Car Review 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  60.0 KB

Holy $)%&, my eyes just about fell outta my head just now.

2021 Canadian Mirage review that starts out...

The Mitsubishi Mirage is one of the most affordable cars in North America – and one of the most misunderstood. [...] It’s uncomplicated and utilitarian in a way that ought to be celebrated, but that enthusiast reviewers just can’t get their heads around. That’s too bad, because it’s a good little machine.
    And it just goes on from there being completely level-headed.

Probably the most reasonable review of the car I've ever read.

I loved this line:

the Mirage caters to people who don’t feel the need to make a statement: the anti-Joneses, if you will.

And...

I’m convinced that today’s reviewers have grown so accustomed to the astonishing performance of modern premium cars that they have lost sight of just how far our econoboxes have come.
    And..

And to the reviewers who will be driving this car in the coming months: please stop moaning about how it doesn’t corner like a Civic or accelerate like a Sonata. It’s nice to have those points of reference, but that isn’t the point. Let’s save the cheap shots and keep our comparisons grounded, because this car is fine.
    It’s time to give the little Mirage its due.
    It's not all sweeness and light. He does list a number of valid criticisms, but overall worth a read.

Read the whole thing:

Car Review: 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Joneses who? Not as quiet as a Rolls-Royce, but will fit 1,331 litres of chocolate milk
    by
    Elliot Alder

But you have to have Facebook account to leave a comment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (05-18-2021),craigq (05-15-2021),Fummins (05-17-2021),inuvik (05-15-2021),Mark (05-15-2021),Mirageman38 (05-15-2021),Top_Fuel (05-15-2021),twister77 (05-15-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I enjoyed this review. Very even-handed. Points out the obvious that many people are driving too-much car for their needs. No wonder our world is going to the crapper, when everyone wants more, bigger, and newer.

They also talk about rust protection, which is always a big concern with me!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that this appears to be a fresh, young journalist who may have just started his first job at a big publication. [Extrapolating from an announcement on his FB page.]

He's self-aware enough to appreciate getting to driving fancy vehicles that he might not otherwise own, "in real life". In other words, he hasn't had time to become spoiled and lose perspective.

I was also impressed by his comment that, being someone who works on his own vehicles, the Mirage looks easy to wrench on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You don't have to take a tire off to change the battery

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You don't have to take a tire off to change the battery
    or take the engine out to replace the generator...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ha! I just went to post a link to this review and see I was beaten to the punch. I do think this is a wonderfully realistic review, and I also love that he drove both the manual and the automatic versions of the car. My favorite line was "It might not be sexy, but it's logical".

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTJosh For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-16-2021),MetroMPG (05-17-2021)

Yeah, the fact he also drove the stick version was a surprise. Very rare in North American reviews [aside from certain sports car reviews].

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Yes, a good / fair review. Dog Decrapo should dismount his high horse, read this review to see how it's done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Doug did a "top 5 worst cars" he has ever reviewed and the Mirage was #3 I think. He basically doubled down and said it was unreliable and that he didn't have anything against "the poor" but that is probably the only type of person who would drive a Mirage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2021)

Based on what is he saying it's "unreliable"??