Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: longevity in miles

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't replaced an engine yet. There are a few that are ticky/knocky but far from their heart. These things don't have timing belts to change every 60,000miles. I've been waiting for something to blow up but these things are pretty bullet proof. The engine I was going to replace due to low compression magically came back to life(I think my compression tester was fubared or these things will run just fine with low compression). Inconclusive... Cvt's are for the most part pretty reliable. I've replaced a bunch of 2015 cvts but the only 2017 cvt I replaced wasn't a normal failure. I'm sure it was due to the driver doing an 80kph burnout on ice then hitting dry asphalt. But can't prove it.
    These are easy low maintenance cars. I'd be curious to see the cost of ownership of a Mirage compared to something like Pryme's Corolla in the next 5 years?
    Whoa hold up. How many 2015 CVTs have you replaced? Lol I thought my 17% failure rate guess between 100k and 200k miles was conservative.

I dunno, can't count that high. Most are still good. Highest will be at 400,000km pretty soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These are easy low maintenance cars. I'd be curious to see the cost of ownership of a Mirage compared to something like Pryme's Corolla in the next 5 years?
    Interesting point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    curious,im coming up for my 30,000 mile transmission service. I was going to take it to dealer when twice i questioned them about changing the transmission cooler filter and they told me there wasnt any. I bought 3 qts of j4 then read someones post on 7 qts. I wonder what the dealers add at 30,000? only 2.65 qts or a total suck out and refill? I wanted to do mine myself and replace the filter too but after reading these post i dont know. I was going to keep receipts for fluid as proof I did service but mitsubishi doesnt allow that in case of failure? Enlighten me plz.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    curious,im coming up for my 30,000 mile transmission service. I was going to take it to dealer when twice i questioned them about changing the transmission cooler filter and they told me there wasnt any. I bought 3 qts of j4 then read someones post on 7 qts. I wonder what the dealers add at 30,000? only 2.65 qts or a total suck out and refill? I wanted to do mine myself and replace the filter too but after reading these post i dont know. I was going to keep receipts for fluid as proof I did service but mitsubishi doesnt allow that in case of failure? Enlighten me plz.
    Go to Aamco. They do a better job and its cheaper. That's half their business dealing with Nissan CVTs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    Disturbing is how I would describe the above paragraph.

1st - The dealership is clueless about what filters exist in a Mirage CVT.

2nd - The shoddy CVT service from the dealership doesn't void the warranty.

3rd - Having superior service done (with all filters changed) will void the warranty.

Personally, I would go elsewhere to have it done like Dirk suggested, or I would do it myself.

I would seriously ask the person who is telling you the warranty would be void to provide proof of that claim. My understanding is the law would be on your side on that one.

There's no way that dealership would touch my Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-19-2021 at 03:58 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-19-2021),Mirageman38 (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Disturbing is how I would describe the above paragraph.

1st - The dealership is clueless about what filters exist in a Mirage CVT.

2nd - The shoddy CVT service from the dealership doesn't void the warranty.

3rd - Having superior service done (with all filters changed) will void the warranty.

Personally, I would go elsewhere to have it done like Dirk suggested, or I would do it myself.

I would seriously ask the person who is telling you the warranty would be void to provide proof of that claim. My understanding is the law would be on your side on that one.

There's no way that dealership would touch my Mirage.
    I thought i read in one of the other post that someone said mitsu wanted a dealers service record on a transmission that went bad. He said he had done it himself. And yes,thats why i stated I had wanted to do it myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    IDK about Canada but in the USA "An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. "

I think they would be hard-pressed to prove you did maintenance wrong due to the amount of Jatco transmission lawsuits over the years combined with the fact the maintenance book says you can potentially do no servicing to the transmission.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 05-19-2021 at 11:50 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.
    HERE! HERE! I 2nd your motion! This is 100% true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)