Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: longevity in miles

In Canada there is no USA magnusun-moss law. Either way you shouldn't have to take a car to the dealer for service.

The only warranty cvt we were denied was one that was serviced(poorly) by an independent shop out of town. It was also likely driven harder/worse than the cars up here. It was driven up here with around 100,000km and the fluid was black. I changed the fluid a few times and it was black after start up. Took it to the dealer and they denied there was a problem. I brought it back, pulled the oil pan then sent them pictures. Then they asked for proof of cvt fluid "flushes" at 50,000km and 100,000km. Well nobody touched it til I did at 100,000km so they said take a hike. Besides you can't "flush" these transmissions without removing the cooler and replacing it with either an adapter plate or a cooler from a Nissan Cvt with an external cooler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These are easy low maintenance cars. I'd be curious to see the cost of ownership of a Mirage compared to something like Pryme's Corolla in the next 5 years?
    Yesterday I almost responded to this quote, but then realized I wasn't comprehending it correctly. Fummins mentions, which is the lower COO. I'd lay money on the Mirage being the lower COO. As long as it is as close to apples to apples as possible. Meaning, don't compare the COO of a top of the line Mirage to the bare bones Corolla. Because the lower cost to purchase of the Mirage is a HUGE factor in COO. The Mirage should win easily.

However, say you scrap the cost to purchase, and just base it on running costs. I think it is a much closer $ battle. The Mirage is going to lead for a long time due to less expensive fuel costs. But over a thousand Corollas versus a thousand Mirage's, the Mirage's will have more repairs. So it may catch up, or surpass the Corolla. But not significantly would be my opinion ... a well maintained Mirage should be quite reliable.

True COO, the Mirage should win easily ... and I'm a Toyota guy to the core. I now remember what led me to a Mirage. I first starting doing searches for the lowest total COO vehicle in the United States. There was a year or two the Mirage won, and then seems like a Nissan Versa won, and maybe another vehicle (Spark maybe). I really like the Versa too, but only in manual transmission. Then I watched Dog Decrapo's video and I was intrigued with the Mirage due to his video. I rented one, it was a G4 dawg CVT. Then I drove a manual from a dealership and I was flabbergasted on how much better it was than the CVT, and how much better it was than my expectation. I was excited about the simplicity of such a machine. Then watched the 3 part videos on the Mirage, something like a "true vehicle review." And that's why I have a Mirage today.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yesterday I almost responded to this quote, but then realized I wasn't comprehending it correctly. Fummins mentions, which is the lower COO. I'd lay money on the Mirage being the lower COO. As long as it is as close to apples to apples as possible. Meaning, don't compare the COO of a top of the line Mirage to the bare bones Corolla. Because the lower cost to purchase of the Mirage is a HUGE factor in COO. The Mirage should win easily.

However, say you scrap the cost to purchase, and just base it on running costs. I think it is a much closer $ battle. The Mirage is going to lead for a long time due to less expensive fuel costs. But over a thousand Corollas versus a thousand Mirage's, the Mirage's will have more repairs. So it may catch up, or surpass the Corolla. But not significantly would be my opinion ... a well maintained Mirage should be quite reliable.

True COO, the Mirage should win easily ... and I'm a Toyota guy to the core. I now remember what led me to a Mirage. I first starting doing searches for the lowest total COO vehicle in the United States. There was a year or two the Mirage won, and then seems like a Nissan Versa won, and maybe another vehicle (Spark maybe). I really like the Versa too, but only in manual transmission. Then I watched Dog Decrapo's video and I was intrigued with the Mirage due to his video. I rented one, it was a G4 dawg CVT. Then I drove a manual from a dealership and I was flabbergasted on how much better it was than the CVT, and how much better it was than my expectation. I was excited about the simplicity of such a machine. Then watched the 3 part videos on the Mirage, something like a "true vehicle review." And that's why I have a Mirage today.
    Ironically, the guy who did the 3 part review on the Mirage is Pryme, & he's the one who owns the Corolla Fummins is referring to in his post! Pryme sold both of his 5-speed manual SE Mirages. A year or so later, he bought a Corolla.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ironically, the guy who did the 3 part review on the Mirage is Pryme, & he's the one who owns the Corolla Fummins is referring to in his post! Pryme sold both of his 5-speed manual SE Mirages. A year or so later, he bought a Corolla.
    This is true. I will be signing autographs from 1-3pm today.

My Corolla is nipping at the heels of my 5spd Mirage as far as gas mileage. Its extremely close real world.

My Mirage was fantastic for the 20k miles I had it as far as reliability is concerned. My wifes had a few issues in the 40k it travelled. The two main things were the clutch linkage needing replacement which meant the transmission had to come out. It was covered by warranty but took over a week for the parts. The other issue that one had is an odd no start if you say pulled it out of a garage and shut it off right away. It happened a handful of times randomly so I started leaving that one running for a couple min before shutting it down.

There is about a 7k difference between what I paid for a mirage and the corolla.

Time will tell how it goes. I had a truck when I had my mirage where as the corolla is my only car now so I am putting miles on it a bit quicker.

One thing I feel more comfortable about in the corolla is knowing parts, if needed, should be available quickly and there are way more Toyota dealers. Also used parts down the road due to the popularity of the corolla.

I won't get into driving dynamics as they are not in the same class of car so no point.

I still have a soft spot for mirages.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    IDK about Canada but in the USA "An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. "

I think they would be hard-pressed to prove you did maintenance wrong due to the amount of Jatco transmission lawsuits over the years combined with the fact the maintenance book says you can potentially do no servicing to the transmission.
    Thanks,very helpful!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This is true. I will be signing autographs from 1-3pm today.

My Corolla is nipping at the heels of my 5spd Mirage as far as gas mileage. Its extremely close real world.

My Mirage was fantastic for the 20k miles I had it as far as reliability is concerned. My wifes had a few issues in the 40k it travelled. The two main things were the clutch linkage needing replacement which meant the transmission had to come out. It was covered by warranty but took over a week for the parts. The other issue that one had is an odd no start if you say pulled it out of a garage and shut it off right away. It happened a handful of times randomly so I started leaving that one running for a couple min before shutting it down.

There is about a 7k difference between what I paid for a mirage and the corolla.

Time will tell how it goes. I had a truck when I had my mirage where as the corolla is my only car now so I am putting miles on it a bit quicker.

One thing I feel more comfortable about in the corolla is knowing parts, if needed, should be available quickly and there are way more Toyota dealers. Also used parts down the road due to the popularity of the corolla.

I won't get into driving dynamics as they are not in the same class of car so no point.

I still have a soft spot for mirages.
    Toyota is still king and won't be giving up the crown anytime soon. What I can't stand is the "Toyota Tax". Adjusting for inflation, Toyota's prices aren't competitive at all and they axed the Yaris, their only real entry level car. I don't consider a new Corolla for $25k "entry level". I think Toyota is resting on their laurels a bit, not taking into account their CVT ICE vehicles aren't likely going to be as reliable as their old 4speed automatics from a decade ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Toyota is still king and won't be giving up the crown anytime soon. What I can't stand is the "Toyota Tax". Adjusting for inflation, Toyota's prices aren't competitive at all and they axed the Yaris, their only real entry level car. I don't consider a new Corolla for $25k "entry level". I think Toyota is resting on their laurels a bit, not taking into account their CVT ICE vehicles aren't likely going to be as reliable as their old 4speed automatics from a decade ago.
    They will be. There is already a 2020 corolla cvt that is a delivery vehicle for all the ride share and food etcvwith some outrageously high mileage.

My LE with convenience package was 19,100.

It has some really advanced features on it too. Plus it has 10 airbags so I feel it would be safe in a crash with my 3 little bears inside.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pryme View Post
    i still have a soft spot for mirages.
    Traitor!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think Toyota is resting on their laurels a bit, not taking into account their CVT ICE vehicles aren't likely going to be as reliable as their old 4speed automatics from a decade ago.
    Trust me, Toyota knows this. But they will also break their necks to make the CVT crap as reliable as possible. But Toyota is smart. Selling cars is a business after all. Just think of how Toyota competitors would berate Toyota if given the chance based on the following. The below is hypothetical, but just imagine the song and dance the idiot salesdolts would do with the below info:

• Nissan Sentra sports a CVT with virtually an infinitly geared transmission.
    • Honda Civic comes equipped with a 23 speed automatic.
    • Toyota Corolla is sold with a 4 speed automatic with lock-up torque converter.

Even though that old school 4 speed is likely to trounce the others in reliability, and be only 0.3155547238 mpg less fuel economy, customers are all about the bling bling and 'more is better' mentality.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The other issue that one had is an odd no start if you say pulled it out of a garage and shut it off right away. It happened a handful of times randomly so I started leaving that one running for a couple min before shutting it down.
    FYI, this is a known issue.

The theory is over-fueling, leading to a flooding condition on the re-start.

The solution you figured out: never shut off the car immediately after a cold start.

I honestly forget if this problem is solved by the ECU re-flash recall that some early cars had.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)