Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: longevity in miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks

longevity in miles

So,tell me how many miles you can expect from a well maintained mirage? I saw numbers online but I"m curious. Are these the same engines used in the geo metros? Ive always been a stickler for maintainance. I usually retired my toyotas around 315,000 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    So,tell me how many miles you can expect from a well maintained mirage? I saw numbers online but I"m curious. Are these the same engines used in the geo metros? Ive always been a stickler for maintainance. I usually retired my toyotas around 315,000 miles.
    Most of us haven't had our Mirages long enough to answer your question. I don't know of any connection between a Metro and a Mirage. Here's one that's done better than 315,000 miles -

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...irage-414-000/

https://media.mitsubishicars.com/en-...ready-for-more

The owner/general manager to right of the big white bear in the pic sold me my Mirage in 2017. He was just the general manage back then. White Bear switched to Mitsubishi when Saturn disappeared.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    You should have no issues reaching 300,000 miles / 482,000 km's if you maintain your Mirage properly. Since you have the CVT, regular fluid and filter changes are a must if you want to go the distance without replacing the CVT. Here is a example of someone who had a whole bunch more miles than 300,0000.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...subishi-MN-USA

For your other question no this is not the same engine as the Metros. Those were a Suzuki designed engine. The 3A92 is a MDC (Mitsubishi Daimler-Chrysler) Power designed engine and was developed simultaneously as the 4A9 engine family which was first put into production in 2003.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-15-2021 at 11:47 PM. Reason: syntax correction

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My car is getting very close to 100K miles. I will be doing an oil analysis and posting the results when it does. I think this will be my 4th or 5th oil analysis. Should give an indicator of how the engine is doing internally.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    ...my right side turn signal blinker fell off today / fell out of the car and dangling on a wire like a tooth.
    Was it one of these lights? I've had 2 of these (both aftermarket) break clips and fall out dangling by the wire.

Name:  side_marker.jpg
Views: 6093
Size:  85.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-16-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

We don't really know how long they can last. Well maintained, and not raced when the engine is cold, they usually last a very long time, ask Fummins.

Geo Metro engines were a Suzuki construction of the late 1980's and probably not a single part is the same. They had timing belts and rigid timing without cam adjustment, etc. I had a few of those too, see TeamSwift. Those engines usually lasted very long, but Mirage engines seem to last even longer. The Kölleda engine design and construction plant, then jointly owned by Daimler and Mitsubishi, designed engines for a Mercedes modell that was never built, but became very useful for more than one car maker. Mitsubishi modified them a little for the Mirage, and later added a cylinder for creating four cylinder designs. Therefore the striking similarity to some other well-known designs...
    Last edited by foama; 05-16-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I bought mine new with 14 miles on the clock. It now has 174,000 in-town delivery miles and has never even hiccuped other than a broken clutch cable at 113,000 miles. In fact, my Mirage replaced a 1997 Metro hatchback. I rebuilt the engine in that car TWICE...once when I bought it, once 110k miles later. The Suzuki G10 in the Metro was pretty notorious for burning exhaust valves.

Mirages don't seem to have any particular engine problems that we have seen. Even check engine lights are rare. These cars are VERY tough, and I would expect the powertrain to last at least 200k with few surprises if you take care of it.

Mine has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-17-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins, our resident steward of a fleet of 30+ CVT Mirages, can answer your question with a lot of data. Most of his fleet has been good for him with exceptions however. IIRC he has had 4 or 5 CVT failures between 100k and 200k miles or a 17% premature cvt failure rate so far in his fleet. My numbers could be off though I don't remember the numbers exactly. Either way it gives you some idea of what you can expect from a well maintained Mirage. Not to burst your bubble, but 300k miles might be a long shot for the majority of CVT Mirage owners. These are cheap cars, just be content to hit 200k miles because after that mileage you don't owe a CVT econobox anything nor it you.

I haven't replaced an engine yet. There are a few that are ticky/knocky but far from their heart. These things don't have timing belts to change every 60,000miles. I've been waiting for something to blow up but these things are pretty bullet proof. The engine I was going to replace due to low compression magically came back to life(I think my compression tester was fubared or these things will run just fine with low compression). Inconclusive... Cvt's are for the most part pretty reliable. I've replaced a bunch of 2015 cvts but the only 2017 cvt I replaced wasn't a normal failure. I'm sure it was due to the driver doing an 80kph burnout on ice then hitting dry asphalt. But can't prove it.
    These are easy low maintenance cars. I'd be curious to see the cost of ownership of a Mirage compared to something like Pryme's Corolla in the next 5 years?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I have a feeling my 2020 is going to last the life of me. I plan on spacing the mileage out as best I can to extend the powertrain warranty out the full 10 years. But down here in the dirty south, cars don't rust very much. And if one maintains a decent (or better) vehicle, they can last a long long time. I'm guessing my brakes won't need servicing for 100k miles. I drive very conservatively and engine brake as much as I can (with my 5 speed).

Pipeline and gas shortage be damned, people down here jump in their Suburbans, Expedition Maxs, and Hummer 2s and shove their foot clean to the floor, all day, every day. I'm totally happy to NOT be the first one on the line at a traffic light as I almost receive a full size SUV enema by a soccer mom with a baseball hat in her otherwise empty vehicle, at every shift. I'd rather be in the back, and coast up to red lights, and not have to stop due to them going green before I get there ... versus being on the front line.

The point being, I'm a lot more likely to be crashed into, than to have any Mirage longevity issues. Let's put it like that...

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-17-2021),inuvik (05-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My car is getting very close to 100K miles. I will be doing an oil analysis and posting the results when it does. I think this will be my 4th or 5th oil analysis. Should give an indicator of how the engine is doing internally.

Was it one of these lights? I've had 2 of these (both aftermarket) break clips and fall out dangling by the wire.

Name:  side_marker.jpg
Views: 6093
Size:  85.3 KB
    I've had to replace zero of these lights. Even on cars that get hit in the fenders the lights usually survive. I've still yet to see one burn out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)