Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if....?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

What if....?

Hello again everyone!

Researching the Mitsubishi Mirage- not an owner at this point. Everyone here has been so helpful and welcoming!

If I were to purchase a Mitsubishi Mirage this winter (considering an ES Manual right now), what happens if in 2 years or 5 years Mitsubishi pulls out of the US? I am assuming the warranty would be worthless, and it would be unlikely that Nissan would take ownership and honor the Mitsubishi warranty. Is the car unique enough that third party mechanics don't come across it very often and are unfamiliar with its inner workings and quirks? Or is it so basic a car that any mechanic can work on it no problem? Would it be a consideration that certain parts particular to Mitsubishi are no longer available or so hard to obtain that repairs are difficult? And before you say it, I am not mechanically inclined enough to do the repairs myself- perhaps owning one would make me that guy, but I'm not him yet LOL.

Also, I don't want this thread to be a huge debate as to the longevity of Mitsubishi. Whether they remain in the US or not, it is within the realm of possibility that either they pull out of the US completely or that their dealership network continues to shrink so that perhaps there is no longer a dealer near me, and so I'd rather focus on what the effects of a downsizing or withdrawal would be. Thanks so much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Just my perspective - If Mitsubishi left the North American market tomorrow, I wouldn't be concerned about my Mirage. I bought my Mirage from a dealer in a neighboring state about 220 miles from my home. I have no intention of ever using them for service. My local dealer (65 miles away) is the most repulsive dealership I have ever visited. I have zero interest in using them for service.

I really like my Mirage. but I am not impressed with the dealership network. If there's a good Mitsubishi dealership in the state of Wisconsin, I am not aware of it yet. That didn't stop me from buying a Mirage. It's not a hard car to work on & aftermarket parts exist. I have zero concerns with local small town mechanics taking care of anything I can't do myself.

If my engine blew up tomorrow, I would rely on my warranty. Otherwise, a dealership will never see my Mirage. A good warranty on a car is one that's never used!

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) for 14 years. That car was never serviced by any Ford dealership, & Ford dealership are everywhere in my area. I like supporting my small town mechanics who provide good service for a reasonable price. In my mind, dealerships are for warranty/recall work, & good cars don't need warranty/recall work done very often.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I have no reason for going to a dealer, other than for spare parts. What if..? So what!
    Saying that, I can't remember buying any part from a dealer, and I drive a 2014. Should I really need something and there would be no dealer, I would order it from overseas. No big deal. I do the actual work totally by myself.
    Also for consideration, its highly worthwhile it to get a copy of the FSM (Factory Service Manual) because of the wealth of info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Auto manufacturers are required by US Federal Law to have parts available for any models they sold for the period of 10 years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Since Mitsubishi entered the North American market several domestic brands have left:
    Plymouth
    Mercury
    Oldsmobile
    Pontiac
    Saturn

Yet their products still run. Somehow their owners make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJosh View Post
    Also, I don't want this thread to be a huge debate as to the longevity of Mitsubishi.
    Sorry, that’s what we do here. Since we don’t have to spend a lot of time working on these cars we’re left with theorizing and overthinking minute details about what-ifs and wildly concocted scenarios haha.

Seriously we all probably thought the same thing and bought one (or two) anyway. Just remember we’re the Peanut Gallery here - our views and opinions are bound to be biased.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    These cars have very few problems...especially the manual versions. The last time my Mirage went to the dealership was for a minor recall about 5 years ago. It probably had 10k on it then and has 174k now.

If you take your Mirage to a mechanic and they say they don't know how to work on it then you need to find another mechanic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-17-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about finding parts, I'd worry about a lack of aftermarket parts for them from Napa, AutoZone, etc. The places that private shops use and are willing to warranty the parts. Many aren't going to work on your car if you bring in a cheap Rock Auto part. That cuts into their profits. They want to use outsource from the big boys like Napa and Napa's aftermarket selection for Mirages is sparse. Now if your a DIYer this don't matter but for guys like me that depend on private shops its a liability. Example, my rear drums for my 2014. My trusted shop ordered 2 aftermarket drums from Napa, neither fit. They ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealership to pay $300 each. Hopefully other aftermarket parts aren't an issue in fitment or availability.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Since Mitsubishi entered the North American market several domestic brands have left:
    Plymouth
    Mercury
    Oldsmobile
    Pontiac
    Saturn

Yet their products still run. Somehow their owners make it work.
    The brands above sort of fall under larger companies like Chrysler, GM, & Ford.

If Mitsubishi left North America, I would compare it to Suzuki (or Isuzu) leaving the automobile market. If I had owned a Suzuki vehicle at the time of their departure, I would have felt some remorse. I don't think it would have made me regret owning a Suzuki. I surely wouldn't be concerned about driving a Suzuki today.

Now I have remorse because there's no Suzuki Jimny being offered in North America.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If Mitsubishi pulled out of the market, warranties would still be honored (Nissan?). Mitsubishi is more successful and offers more models in other markets, so the company would still exist.
    When Suzuki, Plymouth, Pontiac, Mercury, Saab, etc. all withdrew, warranties were still honored.
    Over the years, Mitsubishi has sold A LOT of vehicles, and parts should be available for our little Mirages for a long time. After all, they've been making basically the same car (with a few minor facelifts) since 2013!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, and yes I'm another former Ford Festiva owner (1986 the greatest car I ever owned -168,000+ miles) and it was built by an UNKNOWN in the US manufacturer KIA, and it was never taken to the Ford dealership for service!