Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Towing

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Recommendation for Towing

I am going to pick up a Honda Super Cub that I purchased tomorrow. I have the Curt tow hitch on my 2018 ES hatch, which has the CVT transmission. I've rented the motorcycle trailer from U-HAUL to pull it in.

The trailer weighs 800lbs, and the scooter/bike weighs 240lbs, so 1100lbs total. The round trip will end up being ~120 miles.

Any advice from members if this will be doable? My plan is to just sit in the slow lane at 55mph the whole time.

While it is certainly not the smartest thing to do, I just want to make sure it won't cause any catastrophic damage to the engine or transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Uhaul lets you do this? When I entered this combo on their website it said no way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I am going to pick up a Honda Super Cub that I purchased tomorrow. I have the Curt tow hitch on my 2018 ES hatch, which has the CVT transmission. I've rented the motorcycle trailer from U-HAUL to pull it in.

The trailer weighs 800lbs, and the scooter/bike weighs 240lbs, so 1100lbs total. The round trip will end up being ~120 miles.

Any advice from members if this will be doable? My plan is to just sit in the slow lane at 55mph the whole time.

While it is certainly not the smartest thing to do, I just want to make sure it won't cause any catastrophic damage to the engine or transmission.

I wouldn't do it at all. That's way too much weight with the CVT along with the tongue weight, lack of proper suspension, no reserve braking it's a recipe for disaster. Rent a pickup for the day, that will be far cheaper than the medical bills of yourself and all the others you are likely to injure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Don't do it. These cars are not meant for towing. Mirages don't have the engines, transmissions, tires, brakes, or suspensions to tow something that is 50% of the vehicle's weight.

As was mentioned, spend a few bucks and rent an F150 for a day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-18-2021)

People tow with these all the time. One member towed a Chevette ffs(not a cvt but still...). If you've never towed anything other than sail boat fuel then I'd probably either figure it out, can't learn if you don't try or go a different route. Maybe take the wheels off it and stuff it inside the car?

OR...maybe rent a lighter trailer?
    The uhaul 4x7 trailer is 630lbs and should fit that thing just fine. A motorcycle trailer is meant for much heavier bike(think motorcycle).

The engine should be fine. Suspension and tires...well, the trailer has it's own tires so it'll be bearing most of the weight not the car. That's how trailers work. As for the cvt, I'm sure many fleet cars as well as those used for uber have been loaded down with 800lb(max payload) or more, more than once without blowing up. The braking would be my only concern but they're over rated.
    If you have a ton of steep grades to climb for 10 mins at a time I'd consider renting a truck.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-18-2021 at 12:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    People tow with these all the time. One member towed a Chevette ffs(not a cvt but still...). If you've never towed anything other than sail boat fuel then I'd probably either figure it out, can't learn if you don't try or go a different route. Maybe take the wheels off it and stuff it inside the car?

OR...maybe rent a lighter trailer?
    The uhaul 4x7 trailer is 630lbs and should fit that thing just fine. A motorcycle trailer is meant for much heavier bike(think motorcycle).

The engine should be fine. Suspension and tires...well, the trailer has it's own tires so it'll be bearing most of the weight not the car. That's how trailers work. As for the cvt, I'm sure many fleet cars as well as those used for uber have been loaded down with 800lb(max payload) or more, more than once without blowing up. The braking would be my only concern but they're over rated.
    If you have a ton of steep grades to climb for 10 mins at a time I'd consider renting a truck.
    Agreed. It might not be the smartest, but it's doable. I bought by 2000 Isuzu Rodeo not running (3950 lbs) and towed it 24 miles with my Mirage. It obviously wasn't the greatest idea, but I made it. The Mirage can handle 1000 lbs if done for a random time or two.
    (blank signature)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Buy the small 4x3' aluminum trailer from northern tool. It only weighs like 250lbs and put a sheet of plywood on it.

Mirage is about the worst for towing with it's running gear and almost no suspension. But that trailer I'd say would be fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

Some are recommending to not use your Mirage for towing. I don't have an opinion on that. I keep another vehicle for that very reason, but I use a trailer a lot.

UHaul has pickup truck & cargo van rentals. How much more would a cargo van be over one of their trailers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (05-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How much more would a cargo van be over one of their trailers?
    If you have a Home Depot nearby, see if they have these vans for rent...

Name:  home_depot.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  55.6 KB

I rent Home Depot trucks 5-6 times a year. $19 for the first 75 minutes and there's no mileage charge. Grab a ramp and roll that bike up into the back of this van (there are tie-downs inside). Maybe you'll need it for 3 hours?!? You might be able to go this route for about $75 and your Mirage never has to leave the driveway.

It won't be as cheap as renting a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul but it's not that expensive, either. You can drive the van 70 mph and get the job done a lot faster, too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-18-2021)