Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Towing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am interested in the Habor freight trailer. Combine this with one of their discount coupons and you could probably get it around $250. Weights only 150lbs. Holds more than the northern freight one at 1090lbs. You can see pictures in the reviews where people have rigged it into a motorcycle trailer. Seems to come with lights you could wire in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 21215
    or buy a rope and find a friend or rent a lady of the night that you trust lol
    Attachment 21216
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-18-2021 at 04:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I am interested in the Habor freight trailer. Combine this with one of their discount coupons and you could probably get it around $250. Weights only 150lbs. Holds more than the northern freight one at 1090lbs. You can see pictures in the reviews where people have rigged it into a motorcycle trailer. Seems to come with lights you could wire in.
    All trailers are going to have light kits to be road legal.

Likewise, a Mirage would have be wired for a trailer. If you are just adding a hitch to your Mirage for something like a rear hitch bike rack, wiring is not needed. If you're pulling a trailer, some type of wiring harness will need to be installed on your vehicle.

There are wiring kits for a Mirage. Some are easier to install than others. This short clips shares the two main types of trailer wiring systems.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2017_Mitsubishi_Mirage.htm

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unless storage is an issue (& these models will store upright), I would consider the 4' x 8' trailer. It adds about $50 to the cost & about 100 pounds of weight to the trailer. If you want to haul plywood, lumber, kayaks, small boat, riding lawnmower, ATV, or whatever, it's just a nice size for that. Plus, it has a tilt bed for loading.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I wouldn't suggest this for guy towing a trailer with a motorcycle, however!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Unless storage is an issue (& these models will store upright), I would consider the 4' x 8' trailer. It adds about $50 to the cost & about 100 pounds of weight to the trailer. If you want to haul plywood, lumber, kayaks, small boat, riding lawnmower, ATV, or whatever, it's just a nice size for that. Plus, it has a tilt bed for loading.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I wouldn't suggest this for guy towing a trailer with a motorcycle, however!
    It just seems like a 150lb one is the right weight for the mirage. Would you tow a riding lawnmower with it and the extra 100lbs of trailer? The 800lbs uhaul trailer must be made of lead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made it!

Name:  IMG_20210518_103930.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  98.4 KB

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-18-2021),Mirageman38 (05-18-2021),Top_Fuel (05-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Made it!

Good way to prove the critics wrong on towing!

Towing is probably not a Mirage's strong suit, but it can do something like that in a pinch. Especially, if one is careful!

When it comes to trailers, moving it isn't the concern. You get need to take large bumps slowly and make more gradual stops to keep things under control.

Glad this worked out for you! Plus, you started another good trailer discussion!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made it!

No one said you wouldn't make it, it's just not the best thing to do as the brakes and suspension are not designed for towing anything. And you have the bike loaded improperly for reducing tongue weight too lol. I know it has a little nook for the front tire but having the bike further back would reduce tongue weight. No biggie glad it all worked out. Those wheels look nice on the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I'm sat at a computer and can jot down some thoughts for future people (this is all for my 2018 Mirage Hatch with CVT):

- Towing 800lbs got me 35MPG. Adding the scooter and upping that to 1100lbs got me 33MPG. Both of those are 55mph cruising.

- No big upsets or squirrelly behaviour. At least, none beyond what is already pretty normal for our cars. Take that with a grain of salt, though, as I already typically drive like it's permanently a sunny Sunday afternoon and I have nowhere to be (best mileage that way).

- I was worried about bottoming out the rear springs, but to the best of my knowledge, that never happened. However, the back bounced around more than usual with the empty trailer attached. Having the trailer loaded did away with that sensation.

- I have the Curt tow hitch rated for 1200lbs. That seems about right to me. I check under the car after everything was all said and done and couldn't pick out any bent or warped metal, so I'm assuming things were just fine.

- Surprisingly, the car never seemed to struggle getting up hills. I was expecting to have to be shifting the CVT around the various drive modes in order to encourage the car to give the appropriate power output, but that never happened. I just left it in the standard "drive" position, set my cruise control, and the computer handled the rest. I don't think I ever saw it go above 3200RPM, and it was only around there about 10% of the time. Modern engines/vehicles are incredible.

- I've never described the Mirage as being "nimble," but it sure felt that way after taking the hitch off!

Other than that, just take it easy and keep your wits about you. I wish I had a more precise engine/transmission temperature measurement (or any at all, really), but honestly I don't think this was above and beyond what the car can realistically handle.

And if it is and I just permanently borked things without realizing, gotta love that 10 year warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And if it is and I just permanently borked things without realizing, gotta love that 10 year warranty.
    My dealership was having a field day just looking at my empty hitch installed.... take it off before transmission warranty work

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-18-2021),PityOnU (05-18-2021)