Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation for Towing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    No one said you wouldn't make it, it's just not the best thing to do as the brakes and suspension are not designed for towing anything. And you have the bike loaded improperly for reducing tongue weight too lol. I know it has a little nook for the front tire but having the bike further back would reduce tongue weight. No biggie glad it all worked out. Those wheels look nice on the mirage.
    It's really hard to tell on that trailer where the proper location would be? A Super Cub is only 240 pounds. You definitely want some weight on the tongue, & I have to believe the rear trailer ramp has some weight to it. Then again the location of the trailer axle may take that into account. If he were hauling something that weighed close to the trailer's capacity, the location of the load would be more critical.

This sort of tells me he did good with the load - "I was worried about bottoming out the rear springs, but to the best of my knowledge, that never happened. However, the back bounced around more than usual with the empty trailer attached. Having the trailer loaded did away with that sensation."

It's better his tongue is pushing down on the car some verses having it almost balanced & lifting the rear of the car at times. Heck, I am more of a load than that Super Cub!

Last edited by Mark; 05-18-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An additional benefit of doing this is that I am much more confident in the tongue weight the Mirage can handle. I actually stood on the ball of the hitch after I put it on (I'm probably 180-190lbs), and it didn't seem to bother it. This may have been even more than that.

I have two electric kickscooters that weigh ~40lbs each and are just slightly too large/messy for inside the car. I had held off getting a hitch mount cargo carrier previously because I was afraid it would bend something, but I think I would be comfortable at least giving it a go now. Would definitely be able to handle just one, no problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have one of the harbor freight hitch carriers . Never tried to load it over 100ish lbs. It works well though. The bottom of the car is cheapish unibody frame. You probably wont see a problem until something breaks catastrophically so I would be easy on it.

I put my m365 scooter in the back trunk. It doesn't fit well with the seats but its okay with the seats down. Not the most ideal as it does make a mess but it saved me thousands on parking/train over the years so I can't complain. Back when I actually used to work at the office I rode the scooter the last two miles. The garage at my office is about $200 a month
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 05-18-2021 at 10:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    An additional benefit of doing this is that I am much more confident in the tongue weight the Mirage can handle. I actually stood on the ball of the hitch after I put it on (I'm probably 180-190lbs), and it didn't seem to bother it. This may have been even more than that.

I have two electric kickscooters that weigh ~40lbs each and are just slightly too large/messy for inside the car. I had held off getting a hitch mount cargo carrier previously because I was afraid it would bend something, but I think I would be comfortable at least giving it a go now. Would definitely be able to handle just one, no problem.
    If you have this Curt hitch -

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201724251

it is rated for 200 pounds of tongue weight & 1,500 pounds of towing.

My guess is the hitch is made stronger than the vehicle it's being attached to. Attached to your Mirage it should be able to handle those limits without issue. Most hitches are rated on the safe side of things for legal reasons. They usually hold more than that without issue. Don't test that out & blame me however!!!!!

Keep in mind - Mitsubishi isn't recommending a Mirage be used in this manner. If I were making a warranty claim, the hitch would disappear. They may still be able to tell one was attached, however. Personally, I wouldn't tow much with a Mirage (especially a CVT).