Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil weight conflicting advice

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Thank you, I'm curious to know what makes ILSAC special over API and ACEA?
    am trying not to elaborate on this and not going to start another oil thread!

You could do some homework and look here:

https://www.oilspecifications.org/

and here:

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#ILSAC

In a nutshell, there are many issues associated with oil decomposing, aka "burning up" at the elevated temperatures of pistons and piston rings. Those temperatures are very much higher than in the sump. Oil rings can and will "cake-up" from carbon deposits originating from decomposing overheated oil, and the oil rings can thus become useless and the engine will gradually start burning vast amounts of oil. Reminds you of some Subaru, Toyota and others?

The common API standards are not strict enough to reliably prevent this. The ACEA standards are more stringent, but in rare occasions also not enough. ILSAC was established to meet those requirements of modern engines from an American point of view.
    A good oil for Mirage is compliant to ILSAC GF-4 or the newer and better GF-5. You could also use the new ILSAC 6-A. All of these are much higher in quality than the Mirage ever needs, and also they happen to be in the correct viscosity group.

NB: Recently there came ILSAC-6A and ILSAC-6B. These are different.
    Of these two GF6 standards, only GF-6A is a progression and fully backwards compatible with GF-5, suiting or cars well. Then there is GF-6B specifically for SAE 0W-16 viscosity oil and is not meant for the Mirage!

Any brand GF-4 compliant oil will already have more than enough performance headroom for the Mirage so GF-5 or GF-6A is also great but not really necessary.
    Because even the very best oil gets exhausted over time, never forget to change it timely before it starts dumping the carbon deposits it cannot contain any more. Carbon deposits on oil rings are there to stay and can ruin an otherwise good engine.

Last edited by foama; 05-21-2021 at 01:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-21-2021)

Brown oil is good. Purple oil works too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    am trying not to elaborate on this and not going to start another oil thread!

Any brand GF-4 compliant oil will already have more than enough performance headroom for the Mirage so GF-5 or GF-6A is also great but not really necessary.
    I buy pretty much one of the cheapest synthetic oils on the market, & even very affordable SuperTech Full Synthetic from Walmart is GF-6A.

It's brown. Thus, I figured it must be good stuff!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love how much people dissect the nuances of oil for their car but don't think twice or care about the food they shove down their throat lol

I ran 0w-30 in my mirages without issue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I think about the food to shove down my throat a lot. I'm thinking about it right now. Which is why I'm such a lardass! :-D

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Okay, I'm new to this forum and I 'read' mentioned. Not another oil thread. So, I type in Oil in the search box and WOW. Not all that many threads but allot of cut and paste. Comments in one thread word for word in another. Made me smile.

Religion, poly-ticks and oil. YIKES!!