Thread: Oil weight conflicting advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil weight conflicting advice

Which division of Mitsubishi is telling the truth when it comes to what oil to put in your 3A92 engine. The American Mitsuibishi website recommends 0W20 only and yet in certain other countries the owners manual leaves the decision up to the owner based on his/her local atmospheric conditions, specifying oils weights anywhere from 0W20 to 20W50. < Or is this a misinterpretation on my part and the graph is simply a visual aid and what I should be reading is the part that says SAE 0W20, 0W30, 5W30, 5W40 can be used but not any of the others represented on the graph?

There's nothing on the actual vehicle that orders me to use a certain weight like on some cars in other parts of the world. (oil cap, plate under the bonnet)

Locally I get no lower than 0 degrees and usually no higher than 45 degrees celsius, am I better using an on average thicker oil that easily covers me for my hottest temperatures and lowest but is thicker on startup or am I better going for a on average thinner oil that is extremely thin on startup and barely covers my hottest average temperatures?

Cars I've had in the past have specified one weight which has made buying oil really easy, not so here. MY is 2015.

Name:  oil.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by skyblue; 05-19-2021 at 01:31 PM.