Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: is forward collision mitigation standard on the 2021?

It’s a good way to turn a $200 windshield replacement into a gong show. Some windshields that have collision avoidance or lane keep systems on the windshield need the sensors recalibrated after you replace the windshield. And they’re more expensive than non equipped cars. I don’t know or care if some don’t require this but it’s just another thing that might seem neat until down the road.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-30-2022),dspace9 (01-30-2022),Mirageman38 (08-30-2022),mohammad (08-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Try to run into a tree or a building & see if it stops?

Sorry, I am a driving instructor, too!

I joke with my student drivers all the time. We'll drive through a Walmart parking lot & people react to the car coming at them before we stop. I joke about their overreaction, because what are the odds of both of us not hitting our brakes? I can stop the driver's education car on a dime with the dual brakes. We are probably the safety car in the parking lot. I also tell them that I don't want head imprints on my car. It's not a good look for a driver's education car. A little old lady with a walker would probably dent the car even more!

If you want to see something that will make you laugh, this takes less than one minute of your life to watch -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2zgr_Gg11U

Since many of us own older models without FCM, it's not going to be covered in our Mirage owner's manuals. What does your owner's manual say about it?
    That video is a hoot!

FCM deciphered (I think!) For 2021 hatchback of ours the thing is always on. Occasionally it thinks it sees something to squawk about and will beep and flash an icon at the top of the right-hand flashy icon panel (to the right of speedometer). You are permitted to turn this thing off by a long push of the FCM button hidden behind sterring wheel left. Your reward for turning this off are TWO icons lit in the righthand flashy icon panel, the top icon flshing steady on and off and a chime sounding in synch with all the flashy crap. A sane person will make a short push of the FCM button and kill the noise and flashing. This is in the operators manual described with English words is some strange order.
    Karl

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It’s a good way to turn a $200 windshield replacement into a gong show. Some windshields that have collision avoidance or lane keep systems on the windshield need the sensors recalibrated after you replace the windshield. And they’re more expensive than non equipped cars. I don’t know or care if some don’t require this but it’s just another thing that might seem neat until down the road.
    I didn't even think about this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    I don't believe the Mirage has Collision mitigation it has forward Collision warning. I know that in my Eclipse cross I had to get the SEL trim to get forward Collision mitigation with high speed intervention
    I don't know what year your Eclipse Cross is, but

All Mirage trim levels received "Forward Collision Mitigation system (FCM) with Pedestrian Detection" in 2021.

SE trim level also has lane departure warning (LDW), automatic headlights, & automatic high beam (AHB).

BE & SE has things like fog lights & rain sensing wipers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yes it is and its useless!!! The only one I found to work good is Honda's and then Toyotas, the rest are just a marketing ploy.

Frankly I wish they added radar cruise control vs this useless crap, since that will save you gas!
    Last edited by remusrm; 02-02-2022 at 03:19 PM.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I wonder why no other manufacturer puts the radar unit behind the windshield.
    The radar is in the bumper, the top is a camera for detecting objects that may come in front of you!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't know what year your Eclipse Cross is, but

All Mirage trim levels received "Forward Collision Mitigation system (FCM) with Pedestrian Detection" in 2021.

SE trim level also has lane departure warning (LDW), automatic headlights, & automatic high beam (AHB.
    My EC is a 22. I do not have auto headlights or LDW on my 21 mirage G4 SE but do have auto high beams and FCM

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How does FCM work on a 5MT? Does it actuate the clutch?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I have not read how a manual Mirage works specifically, but I believe most manufacturers are making it where the vehicle stalls if you don't engage the clutch when the brakes are automatically applied. Thus, someone driving a manual with this feature would have to restart their vehicle after the auto emergency stop has engaged.

Here's an article on it -

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...es-how-and-why

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-30-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    This made me laugh. Imagine if the car could depress the clutch for you like that new million dollar Pagani. The clutch is 100% mechanical. I think in the toyota corolla If you rapidly depress the clutch after the stall the engine will auto restart, i think its a part of their intelligent rev matching system.

Generally speaking just like all manual cars with emergency braking stalling is an acceptable thing to do when avoiding a collision.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos