Thread: What is this noise?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What is this noise?

Hi all!!

I've been hearing this rattling noise (and squeaking) coming from the front passenger side of my Mirage within the last month. I took it back to the place I bought it since I've had it for less than two months but they couldn't find anything wrong with it/ couldn't replicate the noise I've been hearing. I finally got a decent recording of what I've been hearing from the inside of my cabin, https://youtube.com/shorts/2ZwmmXmAxxM?feature=share and I can only hear it with the windows down. Anyone know what might be causing that tin can-sounding rattle that can be heard as I pass by parked cars/walls? I thought it might be my caliper rattling but it's possible it could be more of a suspension issue as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Have you checked your exhaust hangers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Or the heat shield on the cat under the floor. Or front brake backing plate/dust shield.

The worn exhaust hanger noises that I heard would vibrate the entire car under light throttle. And seems to be a problem on the 17 and newer turds not the older models afaik? Unless one of the rubber hangers came right off, which can and has happened on any year. Usually the one under the drivers seat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you checked your exhaust hangers?
    No, I figured I'd be feeling a general vibration and hearing a louder noise beneath the drivers side if it were to be the exhaust hangers, but I might take a look at them anyway just to make sure!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Or the heat shield on the cat under the floor. Or front brake backing plate/dust shield.
    . I'm going to take it back to the shop and show them my recording and suggest these things be looked at, it sounds like it's coming directly from the tire and or the wheel well which makes me think brake backing plate or dust shield, but it's hard to tell because I'm unable to get an outside perspective of the noise on my own

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    The squeak sounds like heatshield right after the first, but before the second cat. You would need to get underneath to get a good look. Nothing serious, but annoying of course.