Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: suspension shot @35000 miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Guess I skipped over the part where he mentioned this was the bottom mount...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Adding a pic to help(?)...

Here's a typical top shock mount...

Red arrow: You have to hold this squared-off part still with a special tool...or something like vice grips.
    Yellow arrow: Turn this nut to remove the shock.

Attachment 21254
    Use this quote instead :
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The upper part of the shock is just a stud that is clamped to the hole in the body with some rubber bushings, washers and a nut. Even if that was loose you'd notice it clunking instantly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Guess I skipped over there part where he mentioned this was the bottom mount...
    It's Monday.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Attachment 21255 I assume by square welded bolt he meant square welded nut on the lower shock bolt. There's a lot going there...
    yeah i coudnt get the car high enough to get any good leverage on that bolt. took it to the shop and they put the new ones in wrong. they are reimbursing me for my work time lost. literally the easiest shock absorber swap on the market and they screwed it up.

1 bolt and 1 nut per side and a shop messed it up? At least they're trying to make it right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azariah747 View Post
    yeah i coudnt get the car high enough to get any good leverage on that bolt. took it to the shop and they put the new ones in wrong. they are reimbursing me for my work time lost. literally the easiest shock absorber swap on the market and they screwed it up.
    Ummm, I would be looking for another shop if they screwed up a rear shock absorber install.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2021),Fummins (05-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ummm, I would be looking for another shop if they screwed up a rear shock absorber install.
    yeah i will not be taking it back there for any repairs. was gonna do it myself just sucks i couldn't get hose bolts off. figured it was so easy no way an instant service place could go wrong. they did... at least im getting reimbursed for my lost money.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1 bolt and 1 nut per side and a shop messed it up? At least they're trying to make it right?
    yes they did not attach the top bolts right. i think there is a piece on the dust guard that pushes back against on the other side of the bolt. they never put the dust covers back on and then just tightened down the bolts. the bolts went past the threads and stripped out the bolts. so as i was driving down the road i heard this pop then grinding and all of sudden my car just started bouncing up and down like there wsa nothing there. i looked in the trunk and all i see is the two posts just floating around in the holes... they had to order is parts to fix it, now im waiting. it was a jiffy lube. i gave them the benefit of the doubt judging how easy the job was. they did the front fine. the mechanic did the fronts, but i think the other guy was just a tech that was working on the backs. the owner will be compensating me for the time ive lost from doing Uber. i took it there because they do work on the spot. i cant wait for car repairs doing uber. I think ill go to the Valvaline from now on.

That's nothing! We had a Spark at work that needed a couple cvt's replaced under warranty. Whoever installed the second one messed up big time. Hours after picking the car up from the dealership the spindle popped out of the one lower ball joint pushing the wheel up into the fender while pulling into a parking lot... It got towed back to the dealer and they "fixed it". It came to me shortly after for an oil change and I discovered that when the ball joint popped out a cv boot must have been over extended and tore. Back to the dealer again. Somewhere in there I found that the dealer tard couldn't tighten the nylon lock nut for a tie rod end so they shoved a washer in their to tack up some slack and kicked it out the door. They ended up replacing the spindle since the hole was egged out. After that was all fixed the car got parked then sold.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Azariah747 (05-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Any size bump is amplified right into my seat. Even with a couple of gel spacers under my butt the impact is unpleasant. The car has mainly highway use and never taken off road and seldom driven on gravel roads.

So, first, I suspect it's unusual for all 4 corners to go @35K miles
    I suspect your suspicion is correct. Something else is going on here.

I wonder if your past injuries need a better comfort level than you used to tolerate.

Also: what's your tire pressure? If you were running elevated pressure to reduce rolling resistance, maybe it's time to go back to stock numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)