Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suspension shot @35000 miles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

suspension shot @35000 miles

The title says it all.

My 2017 Mirage rides like ABSOLUTE ****e. Any size bump is amplified right into my seat. Even with a couple of gel spacers under my butt the impact is unpleasant. The car has mainly highway use and never taken off road and seldom driven on gravel roads.

So, first, I suspect it's unusual for all 4 corners to go @35K miles but I've also had my battery, wipers, a headlight bulb and other minor but annoying failures on my 2017. It's like I hit some planned factory schedule for component failures but I'm getting off track.

What components (brand/model) would you use to replace the shocks and I guess the struts. How much work am I looking at in hours? Will I need special tools?

TIA

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The title says it all.

My 2017 Mirage rides like ABSOLUTE ****e. Any size bump is amplified right into my seat. Even with a couple of gel spacers under my butt the impact is unpleasant. The car has mainly highway use and never taken off road and seldom driven on gravel roads.

So, first, I suspect it's unusual for all 4 corners to go @35K miles but I've also had my battery, wipers, a headlight bulb and other minor but annoying failures on my 2017. It's like I hit some planned factory schedule for component failures but I'm getting off track.

What components (brand/model) would you use to replace the shocks and I guess the struts. How much work am I looking at in hours? Will I need special tools?

TIA
    Have you made any modifications to your suspension?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No, no mods. And if I had to guess 95% of my mileage is with just me, no passengers or cargo. I was very disappointed when my battery went at 30K miles and it hadn't been abused. It did go flat the summer I spend in a coma but I can't see that one episode killing it off.

My suspension is so bad the tar expansion strips on our freeways are bad enough to jar my teeth when I go over them at 70mph.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    So your ultimate goal is to soften the car's ride?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So your ultimate goal is to soften the car's ride?
    Well, if I get back to new performance I'd be happy. I could drive hands off on highways and the expansion strips didn't affect the car's trajectory. Can't do that now. I have to pay constant attention to where the car's going. I sure want the replacements to last more than 35K miles. I've never had a suspension failure like this in all my years of driving! And from an Asian car to boot! I don't know if it's the rebound that's toast or the upstroke. Maybe both.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you sure you have not gone fast over speed bumps and railroad tracks? Because if you have that will def put heavy wear on the suspension.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    warranty? I don't think this should be going anywhere near this soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No surprise to me Wally. Been screaming it for 7 years now. The one single screaming complaint is the weak suspension. Completely blown out and crashing off the bumpstops in less than 40k is just disheartening.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

That seems odd unless your roads are total **** compared to our here?

My 14 has 286,000 km and it looks like the original shocks and struts are still in it. It’s drives just like most of the work cars with 150–470k km. Most work cars are still running stock suspension. I have had a couple cars with worn read shock bushings causing an annoying clunk from the back over small bulbs.

Stock batteries sometimes suck from new, I’ve had to replace a bunch already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mine just went at 60k. got the parts but cant get the bolts off they are tac welded on or something.