Thread: Cruise and CVT curiosities

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cruise and CVT curiosities

I've noticed when I tell the cruise to decelerate and then let go at my new cruise speed the CVT seems to stay in it's previous ratio so to speak, you can tell because the engine runs a little more laboured so to speak, anyone else notice this?

Sometimes I also experience a sort of bunnyhop when I'm at low speed and using barely an accelerator, it goes away if you depress a little harder on the accelerator. I wonder if that's common or if its a sign.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I've noticed when I tell the cruise to decelerate and then let go at my new cruise speed the CVT seems to stay in it's previous ratio so to speak, you can tell because the engine runs a little more laboured so to speak, anyone else notice this?

Sometimes I also experience a sort of bunnyhop when I'm at low speed and using barely an accelerator, it goes away if you depress a little harder on the accelerator. I wonder if that's common or if its a sign.
    Could you post a video showing this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey skyblue, this sounds pretty normal to me.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying but if the engine RPMs decrease with a corresponding decrease in vehicle speed, this sounds normal. But since you aren't specifying engine RPMs it's just a guess.

The Jatco CVT7 in the Mirage is a dual-range transmission. I'm going to guess again that it might be shifting from one range to another.

But since I haven't yet driven a CVT Mirage I can't really say for sure, I can only speculate. Maybe another CVT owner will chime in with some insight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    I think you mean engine brake to decelerate, yes it's normal. When you adjust cruise speed with steering switch the car will accelerate with more throttle or decelerate with engine brake.

It's also normal for our CVT.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks, to clarify on the cruise thing, when I tell the cruise control to coast so I can reduce to a lower speed when I release the button and the cruise engages again the CVT doesn't seem to realise youve slowed down and it has remained in the ratio for your previously set speed. So when it starts maintaining your new speed sometimes it's like being in a manual where you remained in a tall gear too long when you are slowing down and then try to speed up again, resulting in a tremble, not a big one mind you, I just find it fascinating.

It doesn't do this from my knowledge if you haven't got cruise on and you slow down down and then speed up by taking your foot off the accelerator.