Thread: 2017 Mirage flooded...?

2017 Mirage flooded...?

I just had to go rescue a 2017 Mirage that wouldn't start. It'd crank and kinda fire on 1 or 2 cylinders, like the fuel pump was dead. I couldn't hear the pump run but I'm half deaf. Beat on the tank while driver cranked it and it almost fired up. Gave it some throttle and it died.

I tried starting it, held it to the floor to try and clear the flood if it was flooded. It would only run if you let off the throttle, and then it would idle at such a low rpm it seemed like it would stall any second. I played with the throttle for a few seconds and eventually it revved up and stayed running like normal again. Driver got it back to the shop and it started twice in a row...

I put them in a different vehicle so I can find out if it was driver error or the car. I went to pull it inside and it wouldn't start lol I let it sit 30 seconds and tried it again with the throttle floored and it started. Car has 300,000kms on it and the spark plugs were last changed at 162,xxxkms. Shoulda bought a Toyota.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Bad injector? Swap 'em out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I tossed new plugs in it and it now I can't get it to not start. Might have been just weak spark? Or the fact that the person driving this particular car isn't a regular driver and likely just flooded the crap out of it by letting go of the key before it was actually running and kept trying til it quit firing. Either or, it's running again til it gets wrecked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Ever done a compression test on this one?

This car acted up again yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't start. I drove down there and the driver said they did manage to get it running after a while. Then out of the blue they mentioned that some red thermometer light came on...

The fan blade wasn't attached to the motor anymore. I didn't think to even look at the fan last time this car acted up. Not sure if it was screwed last week too er not?
    I drove it back to the shop with the heater cranked. Replaced the fan and motor this morning. Then found the 40 amp rad fan fuse in the under hood fuse box was blown as well. All is good now. Hopefully...