Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage value increasing! (Used Mirage prices up $2k+ in last year)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Buy low!

Sell high!

Seems like we are in that second phase!

High Mirage prices just make me appreciate what I have. I bought a new Mirage, because I knew I could pay it off in a year or less. I am hoping to go the next 10 years with no vehicle purchases (or car payments).

I rather own property & buy other things.
    "I never exhaled."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Good luck dude. I own a house that I rent out. Have had 4 tenants so far. First one was okay. Second one caused $35,000 worth of damage. Third one decided paying rent was optional... fortunately his dad is my friend and neighbor so he threatened his son to get the hell out which worked but I'm still owed like $3500. Finally, my parents live there now... they pay and take care of the place so I hope they stay there for a long time.

I was originally going to try to buy another house to fix up and rent out but after this pandemic and the eviction bans there's absolutely no way in hell I will ever go through that process when the system's one step of recourse against a deadbeat piece of garbage tenant basically gets banned "for the greater good" or whatever else you want to say. Doesn't matter if I can't afford the property tax, utilities, or whatever as that still has to be paid no matter what but the rent sure didn't have to. What a joke.
    DAK - Thanks. I am not *wanting* to rent the house. But it is the house I grew up in. My friggin sister came and lived with my dad until he passed. She's still living there. And her and her boyfriend both like the house, even though he has his own house across town. I can't convince her to buy me out of the house and live there. I can't understand her. I'm 140 miles away. But I just can't imagine selling the house I grew up in and has been a part of my life for nearly 50 years.

The good side is, I won't owe any money on the house, and I can be VERY selective with who I put in there. But you guys bring up a VERY good point. It's not ready to rent yet. But when it is, I'll let it sit empty if I can't evict the tenants.

My tax man is saying it would actually be a good way to diversify and maybe even get more tax breaks. And, the rent would pay back my half of ownership in less than 5 years. After that I would be in the black. And lastly, there's always the chance I may want to sell my current home for MEEEEELLIONS, and move back to that house in the future (and then it's all blackjack, hookers and Dirk's funny cigarettes). I just don't know. I knew this day would come, I wish there was an easy answer (besides selling it).

It's not any special house at all. But it was almost perfectly preserved (needs nothing) and all my local family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) all know the house and visit. It's like a family nucleus, which makes it difficult to sell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hey, do my fellow Americans remember ten or so years ago when the government spent $3,000,000,000 to destroy 690,000 running and driving used cars for no particular reason?

Be great if we had those cars back!
    Those were sad days for Corvair fans.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just sold my 2019 Mirage ES with 3400 miles on it to Carmax for $13200.00. That's $2000.00 more than I paid for it at the dealership new. I was astounded and a bit incredulous by their of offer. Had never done business with them before. My preconception was that their internet offer was a hook to bring me in, and then find some reason to give me a lot less. An hour after my arrival, they had taken a ton of photos of the car and I walked out with a bank draft for $13200.00. Thank you Carmax, may you live long and prosper.

Now I'm going to go shopping for a EV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnYuma View Post
    I just sold my 2019 Mirage ES with 3400 miles on it to Carmax for $13200.00. That's $2000.00 more than I paid for it at the dealership new. I was astounded and a bit incredulous by their of offer. Had never done business with them before. My preconception was that their internet offer was a hook to bring me in, and then find some reason to give me a lot less. An hour after my arrival, they had taken a ton of photos of the car and I walked out with a bank draft for $13200.00. Thank you Carmax, may you live long and prosper.

Now I'm going to go shopping for a EV.
    Since they paid you $13,200, imagine what they are going to ask for it? If you find out, let us know!

Good luck with your next purchase! Not sure I would want to buy a car right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took advantage of this crazy pricing stuff and (very sadly) sold my Tacoma today. Bought it with 80,000 miles two and a half years ago for $20,500 out the door and sold it today with 101,000 miles for $19,000 to the same dealer I bought it from. This is nice though because now my Outlander GT and Outlander Sport will be paid off so no more car payments.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    If I were a scumbag I'd swap a junkyard instrument cluster in my 2015 ES with 176,000 miles on it and see what I could get.

My car could easily pass for a 40,000 mile car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every cars value is skyrocketed right now. Its just the market.

Seems like everything skyrocketed, especially anything with wheels.
    Everything I bought and sold over the last year has been Covid priced. I'll blame China flu. It all evened out in the end. Sell high, buy high. High Price I mean...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

This helps with what I've been seeing over the last year in the used car market when I was shopping for my Mirage.

Back around October 2020 I was looking at stick shift 2017 SE's. I would easily find them for $7k-$9k and I regret not pulling the trigger on one because I was more concerned about the lowest monthly payment possible. So i settled on my $5k 2015 DE, and while I'm happy with the $112 monthly payment, I would now pay a little more to have a fully-loaded stick 17 SE. I want all the creature comforts and bells and whistles.

Nowadays a stick shift 2017 SE is going for $11k-$13K!!! Pure insanity! I would trade my 2015 DE in a heartbeat but not at these prices!

Last edited by davidricardo86; 06-26-2021 at 04:10 AM.