Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up my $800 Honda Fit 5-speed beater this weekend

And I'm baaaack...

Name:  fit-at-365-with-mirage.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  97.4 KB

Just got in the door a few minutes ago.

It's got a few issues... but how many $800 cars don't?

The bad:

• Very minor exhaust leak [muffler itself]
    • An occasional rattle in the front end over bumps [sounds like a sway bar link, if this car even has a sway bar]
    • Occasional low RPM hiccup when getting on the gas after being off it for a few seconds
    • The winter tires [which are still on it] have good tread, but are old and dry rotted -- wouldn't pass inspection. Haven't inspected the summer tires yet that are in the back.

The good:

• Engine fired right up after sitting for over a week -- no "Mirage rattle" or other noises
    • Race car suspension, race car steering [compared to you-know-what]
    • Cruise control works!
    • I think I got a pretty good deal

More to come!

EDIT...

Funny: my friends told me they junked another '08 Fit 5-speed last week because it needed a clutch and had 100k higher kms [so, ~350k]. But they only paid the Honda dealer $100 for it, and still made a bit of money in the end. I didn't ask them what they paid for mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I know what you're saying for sure. What I'm trying to say is that a flat bench is, in itself, handy. Even though critics online have criticized the bench, for seeming to be cheap looking or lacklustre. I guess most sedans can check off the same thing, simply with having a back seat lol.

Hopefully MetroMPG posts some interior pics later. So we can see what his new Fit hatchback can do back there.

My car before the 2017 G4 was a 2007 Fit. Most versatile hatch I ever owned. A/C compressor let lose, and don't want to put more money into it. Paint was fading, too. But overall a hell of a car.

Atomic: how many miles on your Fit? Did you trade or sell privately?

AC doesn't work on mine either, which I already knew. I don't even hear the compressor clutch click when I press the button.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    My car before the 2017 G4 was a 2007 Fit. Most versatile hatch I ever owned. A/C compressor let lose, and don't want to put more money into it. Paint was fading, too. But overall a hell of a car.
    I heard you can get a surfboard in the Fit with the passenger seat laying flat.. anyway that's what the guy in that video Mark posted said.

I don't think that is going to happen in my Mirage. However, I have a compact ladder that fits in there (barely) but I had to get a more expensive model, that is easier to store away/fit in my little Mirage.

Honda has gone a bit too out there styling wise, but every car brand has weird styling nowadays. Trying to think of a new car that doesn't have something weird going on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    The flat rear seats on the older Mirages like mine are handy to have, being completely flat like a bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Older Mirage? Your rear seats are no different than a 2017+ Mirage rear seats.

When you flip the rear seat backs down, it does not create a flat space like any other hatchbacks, wagons, or SUVs I have ever owned.
    Is it possible you two are talking about two different things? Maybe dspace9 is referring to the seat bottom, not how the seatbacks fold down. Just guessing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Is it possible you two are talking about two different things? Maybe dspace9 is referring to the seat bottom, not how the seatbacks fold down. Just guessing.
    Even if we are talking about different things, I still don't think the rear seats (backs up or down) are all that different in a 2014-21 Mirage. Maybe there was a major change in them that I am not aware of? Fabric just looks different to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Just got in the door a few minutes ago.

It's got a few issues... but how many $800 cars don't?

The bad:

• Very minor exhaust leak [muffler itself]
    • An occasional rattle in the front end over bumps [sounds like a sway bar link, if this car even has a sway bar]
    • Occasional low RPM hiccup when getting on the gas after being off it for a few seconds
    • The winter tires [which are still on it] have good tread, but are old and dry rotted -- wouldn't pass inspection. Haven't inspected the summer tires yet that are in the back.

The good:

• Engine fired right up after sitting for over a week -- no "Mirage rattle" or other noises
    • Race car suspension, race car steering [compared to you-know-what]
    • Cruise control works!
    • I think I got a pretty good deal

More to come!
    If your $800 Honda Fit was perfect, we would have even more Honda Fit envy!

I'm actually sorry to see the Honda Fit leaving North America once the 2020 models are gone.

If gas prices continue climb & small car prices continue to go up, one has to wonder if some small car models would return? It's not like Honda isn't selling small cars elsewhere. Same with Ford & other companies, too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The 2014 Mirages have a very flat rear bench seat(s). No bum contours to speak of. Nothing saying this is the "middle seat" or left passenger. It's just one big foam blob. But if you're transporting boxes, this setup is perfect.

But after I said that, I realized most sedans can do this transport job well too. So it's no big deal. But the Mirage for 2014 has a cheaper looking back seat than the 2017s. Especially the bench part. Mark, your 2017 has a better bench I think. Better fabric, better foam blob cosmetically anyway. The fabric on mine is the circles one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Even if we are talking about different things, I still don't think the rear seats (backs up or down) are all that different in a 2014-21 Mirage. Maybe there was a major change in them that I am not aware of? Fabric just looks different to me.
    I'm not aware of any design changes beyond fabric.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 2014 Mirages have a very flat rear bench seat(s). No bum contours to speak of. Nothing saying this is the "middle seat" or left passenger. It's just one big foam blob. But if you're transporting boxes, this setup is perfect.
    Agree.