Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up my $800 Honda Fit 5-speed beater this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not aware of any design changes beyond fabric.
    dspace is right: the 2014 rear seat cushion got made fun of in more than a couple of reviews because there's ZERO "quilting" on it. It's just a flat slab of foam with fabric over it. They added "quilting" [if that's the right word] of the cushion after 2017, I think, to make it appear more contoured. Even though it's not, really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If your $800 Honda Fit was perfect, we would have even more Honda Fit envy!
    No doubt. I'll have to ask them why they sold this one so cheap.

I'm actually sorry to see the Honda Fit leaving North America once the 2020 models are gone.
    Me too. I watched a UK review of the new Fit/Jazz last night. It's only available as a hybrid there.
    If gas prices continue climb & small car prices continue to go up, one has to wonder if some small car models would return?
    Well, it sure seems like the average consumer has abandoned small cars for small CUV's, even though they're more expensive and thirstier. I guess we'll know how wise that was in the next couple of quarters if Mirage & Spark sales take off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Upon further inspection...

Tires: I took the summer wheels/tires out of the back, and they're in much better shape than the winters. Bonus! I swapped them onto the car.

I took it for a spin after and they roll MUCH better too.

Front end: While swapping wheels, I checked out the tie rods & ball joints... they're tight.

Front brakes are OK - probably around 40%, though the rotors are a bit rusty crusty around the outside edge. Mechanic may want me to change those to pass inspection.

Mystery clunk: The car does have a front stabilizer bar, so I'll have to put it on jack stands to see if the clunk/rattle is coming from the end links. I'm pretty sure it is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it's excellent marketing! It's may be the number one reason people buy hatchbacks & small wagons. It's why I buy them at least!

I've owned all hatchbacks, small wagon, & SUVs. They all had rear seats that folded in a manner that left a relatively flat surface to haul stuff, except the Mirage.

I honestly find the rear seats of the Mirage to be quite lame. It's not a reason to not buy the car, but I've never seen such a poor design for a hatchback.

Starting with my first vehicle (1978 Honda Civic Wagon), they (Isuzu Trooper, Ford Festiva, Plymouth Colt Wagon, VW Golf, Ford Explorer, Honda CR-V, & Subaru Forester) all had rear seats that folded down quite flat or could flipped forward out of the way.

I've never owned any vehicle that didn't allow you to create a relatively flat space in the rear until my Mirage. I find a Mirage to be quite odd in that way actually. One of the reasons people like hatchbacks, wagon, mini-vans, & SUVs is the ability to haul gear in the back.

If someone asked me about the rear seats of a Mirage, I would say they SUCK compared to anything else I have ever owned!
    Yeah I agree. I have to say I can fit more in my corolla trunk than the mirage, certainly the area behind the seats and almost as much if not as much even with mirage seats down. I do like hatches but there is something to say for the completely separate and secure/hidden area of a trunk I like too. And quicker to open and toss something in and close trunk

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was kinda interested in a fit a few years back but then they started making them in Mexico without a price break. They obviously did that to cut costs but it didnt get passed on to the consumer, so forget it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Was kinda interested in a fit a few years back but then they started making them in Mexico without a price break. They obviously did that to cut costs but it didnt get passed on to the consumer, so forget it.
    A 2020 Honda Fit LX CVT (128 hp) was only $1501 MSRP more than a 2020 78 hp Mitsubishi Mirage ES CVT (78 hp). Do Honda Fits get discounted as much? No, but a Mirage shouldn't be priced that closely to it either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A 2020 Honda Fit LX CVT (128 hp) was only $1501 MSRP more than a 2020 78 hp Mitsubishi Mirage ES CVT (78 hp). Do Honda Fits get discounted as much? No, but a Mirage shouldn't be priced that closely to it either.
    The mirage msrp has always been silly, we all know that and I feel it's done more harm than good. They should just price it way closer to actual selling price. They would sell more and probably wouldn't get as bad of reviews because the dumb reviewers couldn't rip on the price and how you can get this or that car for just a bit more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Atomic: how many miles on your Fit? Did you trade or sell privately?

AC doesn't work on mine either, which I already knew. I don't even hear the compressor clutch click when I press the button.
    A little over 220,000 miles [354k km], as I recall. I sold it privately to a nice young engineer who worked for Honda and got a discount on parts. I let it go for $1850. I changed the oil religiously and it just had a new starter put on within a year before I sold it. I like my G4 for what it is, but that Fit Sport cornered like a kart. With no body lean. Smooth 5 speed, too.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 06-21-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: (added km conversion)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-30-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    dspace is right: the 2014 rear seat cushion got made fun of in more than a couple of reviews because there's ZERO "quilting" on it. It's just a flat slab of foam with fabric over it. They added "quilting" [if that's the right word] of the cushion after 2017, I think, to make it appear more contoured. Even though it's not, really.
    There is probably a specific furniture word. A word in the furniture lexicon. Google search was fruitless, google has no idea what I'm trying to ask. I just got a bunch of sofa ads.

Someone near me has a similar Fit, I didn't know that that was the model of Fit I'd of gotten had I bought a Fit instead of my 2014 Mirage in 2014. Honda keeps their cars a long time like Mitsubishi does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    A little over 220,000 miles [354k km], as I recall. I sold it privately to a nice young engineer who worked for Honda and got a discount on parts. I let it go for $1850
    Cool that a Honda nerd got it! I figure that's close to what this one could actually go for [tidied up a bit]. Maybe not quite as much since yours was the more desirable Sport.

Fit Sport cornered like a kart. With no body lean. Smooth 5 speed, too.
    Agreed about the handling & steering. MUCH more engaging & fun than the Mirage -- admittedly that's the lowest bar out there.

I wasn't surprised to learn Car & Driver picked the Fit as the best subcompact for 2007.

But I am not a fan of this its shift quality. Honda used to be known for some of the nicest, slickest shifters in the business, but the last 2 I've owned felt "plasticky" in the mechanism and cheap. Not pleasant. [My last Honda was an '07 Civic EX 5MT.] Not saying the Mirage is much better.