Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up my $800 Honda Fit 5-speed beater this weekend

Picking up my $800 Honda Fit 5-speed beater this weekend

For those who didn't see this in our cheap used Mirages megathread, I bought this 2008 Honda Fit 5-speed a week or so ago:
    Name:  ad-RF-3-4.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  88.0 KB

It will be my Winter Beater 2021/22. Keeps the Mirage out of the salty slush.

I'm going to pick it up this weekend... and that will be the first time I've laid eyes on it, never mind driven it!

I've never bought a car in a different city via email and e-transfer of funds before.

It's only mildly alarming though -- I'm getting it from friends who have a used car dealership, and they've been using it as their personal car for a month or so. They tell me it's a fine little beater that was traded in at the local Honda dealer [they get many of their used cars from the new car dealers].

Normally they would invest some time & money to spruce it up and put it up for sale on their own car lot, but this one's got a number of strikes against it, not least of which is...

Name:  LR wheel arch rust-crop.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  97.0 KB

HondaRust [TM] !

That's strike one.

Strikes 2 through 4 are:

- AC doesn't work [don't care]
    - 255k kms = 158k miles is getting up there
    - Manual transmission [nobody wants those these days]

Annnnnnnd... yer out!

On the plus side, the Carproof report shows no accidents, and the last owner seems to have been on a 5000 km oil change schedule right up to 250k kms. It also comes with 2 sets of wheels & tires, winter & summer flavour. The winters are supposedly in OK condition. Not sure about the summers. Oh, and a full set of Weathertech style winter floor mats. So maybe the mouse fur carpet isn't ruined.

Anyway, I will find out much more tomorrow morning. It's not far - about a 400 km round trip. Wish me luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-28-2021),inuvik (05-28-2021),Top_Fuel (05-28-2021)

Maybe no accidents on the Carproof report, but I keep looking at that front right bumper corner, and it looks like a badly matched respray to me. Either that or a weird shadow?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Maybe no accidents on the Carproof report, but I keep looking at that front right bumper corner, and it looks like a badly matched respray to me. Either that or a weird shadow?
    I think the plastic bumper just fades differently than the metal front panels over time.

Good luck getting it this weekend!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fixer upper. I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen from a "complete" stranger. This is a bit different.

I always liked Honda Fits. Is that a shadow, or was there body work done on the front bumper?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Not sure. I'm betting it's a respray area.

The closest I've ever come to buying a car sight unseen before was promising a seller a $100 non-refundable deposit to hold a car until I got there to see & drive it. And I agreed to pay his asking price if I took it. That was for my first Pontiac Firefly.

I told my Fit friends I wasn't going to pester them if the clutch goes out next month and/or every time a lightbulb needs changing.

Very nice

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-28-2021)

I heard his voice when I read those words.

===

Also I forgot: I bought my first Mirage over the phone from a Toronto Toyota dealer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Those other spots on your Fit can be touched up too. On my old VW I did some respray myself, but that was a white car so this makes things easier.

Another thing is I believe Fits have true 60/40 fold down seats, that fold down flat.

I'm happy with the amount of cargo volume I get out of my Mirage. For being such a small car, they utilized the cargo space well with the seats down. New Fits were a lot more money than brand new Mirages back in 2014, so I didn't even bother visiting a Honda dealership. I'm not living large buying brand new Hondas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Another thing is I believe Fits have true 60/40 fold down seats, that fold down flat.

I'm happy with the amount of cargo volume I get out of my Mirage. For being such a small car, they utilized the cargo space well with the seats down. New Fits were a lot more money than brand new Mirages back in 2014, so I didn't even bother visiting a Honda dealership. I'm not living large buying brand new Hondas.

Honda Fit has magic seats. Yes, that's what they call them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwU1wKm3QUo

Honda knows how to make rear seats. Mitsubishi not so much!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2021),MetroMPG (05-29-2021),strawboss (07-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The closest I've ever come to buying a car sight unseen before was promising a seller a $100 non-refundable deposit to hold a car until I got there to see & drive it. And I agreed to pay his asking price if I took it. That was for my first Pontiac Firefly.

I told my Fit friends I wasn't going to pester them if the clutch goes out next month and/or every time a lightbulb needs changing.
    I am looking forward to your opinion of the Honda Fit. I sort view the Honda Fit as the Gold standard of small cars, but I've never been in one (let alone driven one). Thus, I am not basing that on personal experience.

If I only owned one vehicle & a small car alone would serve all my needs I would be attracted to the Honda Fit manual. I look forward to your review of it in the future!