Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up my $800 Honda Fit 5-speed beater this weekend

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Niagara Parkway? I have relatives who live in NOTL.

Top level trim Micras are easy to spot: alloy wheels, side skirts & rear spoiler. The base Micra had no rear spoiler (unlike the Mirage). I don't remember if the middle-trim got the spoiler or not, but I think not. And all trims got the back-up camera wart after 2018 (Mirage, too).

The badge you've seen might be "PureDrive", and I have no idea what that means. No Micras came with CVTs in Canada - 4-speed slushbox was the automatic option.
    There are no Micras I've seen in any driveway of a Niagara Parkway house but the ones I see are in revamped beautiful larger older places near the gorge. Most Micras I see have the spoiler hence a level of trim at least a step up.

I never understood why the Versa was given the CVT but not the Micra. Isn't the Nissan CVT licensed to other brands? Maybe Nissan had a 4 spd. tranny plant they were under contract to keep open.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I see Micras all OVER the Niagara region. Where I live a scenic route to the falls has Micras in 4 or 5 driveways. It's not unusual at a light here to see two Micras. One day on Lundys Lanes there were 3 Micras stopped at the intersection. All I can think is the local Nissan dealer must have flogged a huge amount of these things @$9995. But I've noticed many that I see are top level trim with rear cams and Cv badges (?)

My buying choices in 2016 were $10k Mirage loaded, $10K Micra (I'd go $12k loaded) or a used Fit, best I could manage for $10k.
    Overall I'm glad I managed to find a 10k loaded Mirage twice, in 2014 and 2017.
    I would be curious to see a breakdown of trims sold. Like 60% loaded, 40% of the pie bare bones.

I presume higher level trims would make up the majority. Companies make more money, and more consumers are gonna want power windows.. rather than cranks, with a stick shift, and no AC.

I think that dealers put flashier cars in the showroom for the same reasons, to razzle dazzle the consumer. Can't blame 'em, but I think people don't realize that the basic car may be good enough for them. All depends, with Mirage's and with Micra's these are still pretty basic automobiles, no matter the trim.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I would be curious to see a breakdown of trims sold. Like 60% loaded, 40% of the pie bare bones.

I presume higher level trims would make up the majority.
    I can answer that.

As of mid-2017 - so after about 3 years worth of sales - Nissan Canada said 8% of Micras sold were the base "S" model.

The majority of sales would have been the mid-trim "SV" car, since the average Micra selling price was "about" $15,000.

http://driving.ca/nissan/micra/auto-...city-tiny-horn

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-15-2021)

Flipsky time!

Time to see what the market says!

I tidied up the car and touched up the rust spots (sadly, I failed at finding a spray bomb paint match because the parts store didn't stock this colour code).

As usual, I took pics & will show the car in my folks' driveway, since it's in a much nicer neighbourhood...

Name:  k-lf.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  k-rr.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  k-int-lf.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  k-int-lr.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  94.0 KB

Thinking of asking $2400 as is or $2700 inspected.

Of course, now suddenly there are TWO other Fits for sale in my area. Last one I saw was 2 years ago!

Name:  2hondafitskijiji.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  75.3 KB

And they're the Sport trim AND they both have working AC. I actually know where that blue one lives - I've been eyeing it for years.

I may wait a few days to post my ad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That simply does not look like the same car... Bravo Sir. And GLWTS!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Thanks - I had to look that one up... "GLWTS".

AC easy fix?

Since we have a resident AC expert on the forum, I'm posting this in case there's a cheap & easy fix... and to possibly get some edumacation on the topic.

---

I knew the AC in this car wasn't working when I got it. Normally, I wouldn't care. But it's been hotter than usual lately, and that's going to make it a bit tougher to sell right now.

"No clutch click"

When I first tried it out, pressing the AC button had NO effect. No tell-tale CLICK of the compressor clutch engaging, and no change in engine RPM.

Bad relay?

A little searching of the Fit forums revealed that a bad clutch relay is not an uncommon problem, so I swapped it for a known good one.

Result when pressing the AC button: CLICK! Woohoo! Also, immediate change in engine RPM. Woohoo!

Could I be THAT lucky? Nope!

Unfortunately, the air coming out the vents did not cool down. I've cycled it on/off multiple times to no effect.

What are the odds that the car had both a bad relay AND some other problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    What are the odds that the car had both a bad relay AND some other problem?
    The odds are better than average. Especially the "other" problem. The good news is that 9 times out of 10 (or greater) the root cause of "problems" are, or started with, loss of refrigerant. Easily fixed, er uh, make that masked, in the short term (like if you want to sell the car).

But heck, it could run good for a couple years. I.E. both my truck (2000 MY) and my Lexus LS 460L (2010 MY) leak / have leaked refrigerant. I just recharged them. They'll be good for a long time (especially the Lexus).

To recharge the system wouldn't cost much in terms of refrigerant cost. But a couple of tools and some instructions would help immensely. Or a friend / neighbor with a vacuum pump and a working knowledge.

More than likely your car's system is just too low to be effective, especially if you hear the compressor cycling on/off while idling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-23-2021),MetroMPG (06-23-2021)

I wouldn't say that I've heard it cycling.

I suppose I'm assuming the compressor is working because the engine RPM/load changes when I hit the AC button. But that could simply be the ECU changing RPM with the expectation of compressor load?

Lacking any special tools (ie. vacuum pump), would you say it might be worth giving a recharge a try?

I wouldn't say that I've heard it cycling.

I suppose I'm assuming the compressor is working because the engine RPM/load changes when I hit the AC button. But that could simply be the ECU changing RPM with the expectation of compressor load?

Lacking any special tools (ie. vacuum pump), would you say it might be worth giving a recharge a try?
    I lack special tools. I usually use this stuff though. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...-0146129p.html but Not at that price. It's not the "right" way but it does the job good enough most of the time. I used a can to top off my dodge last month. It's always worked for the last few years until this spring.

I've had a few Mirages that had the compressor kick in but not put out cold air. A can of crap did the trick. I'd give it a go? We have a portable ac guy around here, he's not cheap though. Would charge a few hundred to recharge most vehicles, even the Mirage.

I'm a dummy and haven't gotten the proper vacuum pump, hoses and gauges to do it properly. We sell the large tanks of ac at work but I always thought you needed a refrigeration license/ticket to buy one of those and you gotta keep track of how much you use and where it goes etc...Maybe not?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-24-2021),MetroMPG (06-23-2021)