Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Corrosion on 1 spark plug, other 2 find. Need thoughts/advice

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Why exactly would idling cause more wear than driving, the engine is just ticking over, I understand the fuel use, I don't understand why it would be worse for the engine, other than, there's no airflow (doesn't matter the fan will kick in) and the coolant/oil still works.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I read the CVT7 takes longer to warm up than the engine somewhere and that it's a good idea to wait until our little green engine light clicks off?
    I consider 30 seconds warmed up with today's modern cars, but I don't own a CVT.

https://theautowarehouse.com/importa...efore-driving/

I think it's better to let the car warm up for few seconds, & then drive it nice & easy for a couple minutes.

I can't say I ever warm up a car up for any extended period, except when I clearing a windshield in the winter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    The fact is, I'm a nerd who looks like Shrek and smells twice as bad. As such, I'm always shooting for good mpg (like a nerd). My average on here is something like 42 or 43 maybe. And with such an average, I crank and go. I'm turning off the engine as it rolls to a stop in its parking spot or as soon as I can get my hand on the key after parking. Even with it warm outside, I put the 2 left side windows down, and throttle cross-breeze with the front RH window. Meaning I hardly ever use the A/C. When it is 95° or warmer outside, then I'll use the A/C. But I really enjoy the breeze and don't mind being warm. So I'm trying my darndest for mpg.

That said, I don't think you're numbers are all that low, for a CVT vehicle. Considering your usage. As for a cold CVT, it probably wouldn't be the best thing for your good ole CVT to push your car with a cold engine / cold cvt car to the start line of a drag strip and then try to set a sub-18 second rip-roaring-blast down a dragstrip right when it is cranked up. But I don't believe it would hurt a thing to crank and 2 seconds later be gently pulling away from your home or place of bidness and driving easy for the first 30 seconds or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man I bet Alberta is going to have a gorgeous summer. I can't think of a better place to beat the heat than Canada.
    Yeah, it's gonna be +30c (86F) today.

But a few months from now....

Attachment 21297

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't mean this as an insult at all, but you Canadians only have half a life. It's just too dern cold up there for 6 months a year to not be miserable. I don't think I could ever get used to that kind of life. I like you dern foreigners more than 50% though, so that's really saying something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

It's not all like that but it basically is here. It's either too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer lol.

But I don't have to worry about flipping someone off in traffic and getting shot at.

Oddly enough, I just checked the weather in Atlanta. It's the same as Edmonton right meow! 80F

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got to thinking about this corrosion and had a thought. Is there any chance the boot had a tear or crack, even a small one in it? That might have let some moisture in there?

The other thought was that corrosion looked somewhat like that "corrosion" someone posted recently on what looked to be their heater core. Which the "corrosion" seems most logically to be a small coolant leak that ran down and collected on the fins of the heater core and looked very similar to the green on that spark plug.

I can't imagine how coolant would make it's way up into that boot though. It would be an eye opener to know what the greenish substance on the spark plug was.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-02-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I got to thinking about this corrosion and had a thought. Is there any chance the boot had a tear or crack, even a small one in it? That might have let some moisture in there?

The other thought was that corrosion looked somewhat like that "corrosion" someone posted recently on what looked to be their heater core. Which the "corrosion" seems most logically to be a small coolant leak that ran down and collected on the fins of the heater core and looked very similar to the green on that spark plug.

I can't imagine how coolant would make it's way up into that boot though. It would be an eye opener to know what the greenish substance on the spark plug was.
    I still have the corroded plug. I'll see what I can do, my buddy is a chemical engineer. I'll have him look at it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's not all like that but it basically is here. It's either too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer lol.

But I don't have to worry about flipping someone off in traffic and getting shot at.

Oddly enough, I just checked the weather in Atlanta. It's the same as Edmonton right meow! 80F
    You don't have to worry about a hospital visit forcing you to declare bankruptcy either. Just saying.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dirk - Just tell them you're an undocumented worker and that you identify as the opposite gender to what you appear to be, and you won't have to worry about declaring bankruptcy either. Just saying ... for a friend.