Thread: Can I transport a 38 gallon water heater in the hatchback?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Can I transport a 38 gallon water heater in the hatchback?

This one:

Name:  water-6af2422c64510a179.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  105.0 KB

https://i.postimg.cc/bJvjZ8d7/water-...c64510a179.jpg

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It should fit. If you're worried you can take out the rear seatbacks - only takes a few bolts to hold them in. If you have the tools to replace a hot water heater you should have the tools to take out the rear seatbacks.

And post some pictures of when you do this.

Plan on going to any local Cash Day race on the way? Hahaha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    "Water heaters can be transported horizontally or laying down on their side." I googled this, because I've never seen one transported horizontally.

If you fold down your rear seat & push your driver's seat forward, you should be able to shove it in there. Just take a tape measure & measure how much space you have in your Mirage & compare that to the dimensions of the water heater. That's what I do when hauling larger items. I'd probably use my Forester & small trailer for something like that, but my guess is the Mirage will work if that's all you got.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They're not too heavy and that 38 gallon tank is not very tall. Last year I carried a 50-gallon hot water tank - I took it upstairs from our basement and outside to flush out sediment, then carried it back downstairs. Be sure to read about how to set the two thermostats before flipping on the breaker. Oh and change out the drain valve for a 3/4" full-port ball valve for easier flushing. Regular maintenance will help that electric tank last years past it's warranty.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-29-2021 at 08:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys in the end I actually was able to repair my own heater by changing the bottom element and bottom thermostat. Its 15 years old and still kickin, gave it a good flushing as per Eggman's advice as well.

Im glad I got the hatchback model, it really allows you to transport pretty large objects in this mouse-car
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thanks guys in the end I actually was able to repair my own heater by changing the bottom element and bottom thermostat. Its 15 years old and still kickin, gave it a good flushing as per Eggman's advice as well.

Im glad I got the hatchback model, it really allows you to transport pretty large objects in this mouse-car
    So true! This thread is due for some additions!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-G4-Space-Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's good news. Don't forget to replace the anode rod - those are cheap but usually neglected. Once those anode rods are used up, other bits in the tank get corroded like heating elements and the tank itself. If you can get a heating element replaced, you can get the anode out too. It helps to depressurize the tank but leave it filled with water so it doesn't spin around as easily as you try to loosen the anode rod at the top of the tank. You might need a helper to hold the tank while trying to loosen the anode rod. Now's a good time to check your expansion tank as well.

Agree - the hatchback is the only way to go. :ducks: