Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage isn't the only car with cheap thin paint.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage isn't the only car with cheap thin paint.

My new Corolla has the same thin junk paint the Mirage has.

2,300mi and I live in an area with good roads and already multiple small chips on the bumper and hood. Unacceptable.

The latest one is one of those nice skipping ones up the hood.

The newer the car the cheaper they get it seems.

Name:  20210531_082714.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  101.5 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-12-2021),MetroMPG (06-01-2021)

Shoulda' bought a Toyota.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-31-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ordered some paint and clear in my factory color. Will see how it goes and even though it's a tiny bottle, should do plenty of chips.
    Name:  20210608_213921.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  92.0 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just from owning the car, I don't think the Mirage actually has thin/soft paint. I think the issue is the zinc coating (light grey paint) they use on the body of the car. The stuff is like Teflon - the paint just doesn't stick to it. The paint isn't being chipped off, it's just coming off in flakes because it isn't held on by anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    My new Corolla has the same thin junk paint the Mirage has.

2,300mi and I live in an area with good roads and already multiple small chips on the bumper and hood. Unacceptable.

The latest one is one of those nice skipping ones up the hood.

The newer the car the cheaper they get it seems.

Name:  20210531_082714.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  101.5 KB
    Well be happy it doesn't have a cheap ****in sunroof. Wife just called. Sunroof exploded on the Sorento....As they came under an overpass. Probably some **** rock chucker kid. I told her to call the dealer and see if they'll do anything about it. Highly doubtful....The entire roof is glass. Junk

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well be happy it doesn't have a cheap ****in sunroof. Wife just called. Sunroof exploded on the Sorento....As they came under an overpass. Probably some **** rock chucker kid. I told her to call the dealer and see if they'll do anything about it. Highly doubtful....The entire roof is glass. Junk
    That sounds scary! Apparently, your wife is OK!

I've never owned a car with a sunroof. Maybe that's OK?

I'm glad your wife didn't get hurt. Sounds dangerous to me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-10-2021)

Yeah, it's times like this you can point and laugh! Damn fandangled contraptions with all them expensive options and keyless thingy majigs and big expensive to replace wheels! This would never happen in a Mirage!

Apparently it's one of the perks of having the entire roof made of 3 pieces of cheap glass. Wife is fine, has glass all in her hair so that's fun. Dealer near our house at least entertained the idea of trying to get kia to cover it. I don't think it'll happen.

We didn't want a sunroof it just happened to come standard on the model with the options the wife wanted. The odds of one breaking are slim I guess. Not slim enough lol

Might have to buy one of those ugly sunroof plastic deflector things and carry a roll of duct tape in the car. And maybe get some 3m clear film for the top or bottom of the glass so next time it breaks it doesn't shatter everywhere.

To add insult to injury it started raining right after the wife phoned me. She was close to home but the garage is a disaster full of crap from our old camper and kids bikes(and my side by side). I had to run home and push everything into a pile so I could get the big white piece of crap inside and out of the rain.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Yeah, it's times like this you can point and laugh! Damn fandangled contraptions with all them expensive options and keyless thingy majigs and big expensive to replace wheels! This would never happen in a Mirage!

Apparently it's one of the perks of having the entire roof made of 3 pieces of cheap glass. Wife is fine, has glass all in her hair so that's fun. Dealer near our house at least entertained the idea of trying to get kia to cover it. I don't think it'll happen.

We didn't want a sunroof it just happened to come standard on the model with the options the wife wanted. The odds of one breaking are slim I guess. Not slim enough lol

Might have to buy one of those ugly sunroof plastic deflector things and carry a roll of duct tape in the car. And maybe get some 3m clear film for the top or bottom of the glass so next time it breaks it doesn't shatter everywhere.

To add insult to injury it started raining right after the wife phoned me. She was close to home but the garage is a disaster full of crap from our old camper and kids bikes(and my side by side). I had to run home and push everything into a pile so I could get the big white piece of crap inside and out of the rain.
    I hope a Canadian Wolverine chews the rock thrower's nuts off. Unbelievable. Side note - Fummy have u ever seen a wolverine in Alberta? Your bear pic was really cool. I didn't realize Canada had black bears too, just the monster brown ones.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And those cheap chunks of glass probably bill out at $2500 + to the insurance company.

I personally find it absurd that glass in a car is now considered a structural component, just like the steel in your doors. It's a game changer for the standards the glass must meet, hence the insane replacement costs.

I'm glad to hear there were no real injuries to your family. That would suck beyond belief.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I hope a Canadian Wolverine chews the rock thrower's nuts off. Unbelievable. Side note - Fummy have u ever seen a wolverine in Alberta? Your bear pic was really cool. I didn't realize Canada had black bears too, just the monster brown ones.
    No, where it happened there was nobody on the overpass other than vehicles. Pedestrians would be mowed down.
    Haven't seen a wolverine. A friend did a lot of work up north in Inuvik got bit in the face by one though. He was running wires under an office trailer when it happened.
    We saw a grizzly last year. Some friends saw one last weekend a few miles away from where we did, it chased them out. Lots of wild horses out that way too. It was weird the first time I saw them, figured they ran away from their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    And those cheap chunks of glass probably bill out at $2500 + to the insurance company.

I personally find it absurd that glass in a car is now considered a structural component, just like the steel in your doors. It's a game changer for the standards the glass must meet, hence the insane replacement costs.

I'm glad to hear there were no real injuries to your family. That would suck beyond belief.
    Yeah, no more sunroofs for us. I always used to laugh at how horrible of an idea it is, especially since our roads are basically covered in gravel over half the year! Odds are slim of one breaking but you'll never see a metal roof shatter lol.

I priced out the glass on a US kia site and they do sell each piece separately. The piece I need is around $300 and looks easy to replace.