Thread: Key Questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Key Questions

I tried searching past posts but didn't really find what I was wanting to know. This forum has so much good information!

My 2015 Mirage DE has a key with push buttons to unlock and lock the doors. I understand it has a chip inside and I assume it also has a battery inside. Maybe I should find out which kind to keep one on hand.

If the battery inside the key dies does it affect the key's ability to start the car? Its not a push button start, but a traditional insert the key and turn.

I think my local Ace Hardware can duplicate modern car keys. Will they be able to make a duplicate just for door opening purposes?

I thought i was pretty car saavy but I am about 10 or 15 years behind. Awhile back I tried to help a damsel in distress in a parking lot who couldn't get her luxury SUV to start. I sat inside to assess what was wrong and if maybe I could help. I couldn't even figure out how to work her car! Haha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, you pop the key head open then the buttons go flying everywhere. Then there's a red capsule looking thing that pries apart with the battery in it. The battery is a CR1620

The battery can die and the car will still start. The battery is just for the keyless entry button fob thing.

Anyone with a key cutting machine can duplicate a key. I think you guys in the US have instructions on how to program extra key's. I don't know the details on that. Should say in the owners manual somewhere.
    I've had good luck with cheapo amazon keys on a 2018 Nissan. I was able to order one, and program it with my scan tool.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-31-2021 at 07:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...you guys in the US have instructions on how to program extra key's.
    +1

Check out THIS post. Hopefully the dealer gave you two working keys when you bought your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    +1

Check out THIS post. Hopefully the dealer gave you two working keys when you bought your car.
    Unfortunately, he only had the one key. I'm just hoping to get a 2nd for the door.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I tried searching past posts but didn't really find what I was wanting to know. This forum has so much good information!

My 2015 Mirage DE has a key with push buttons to unlock and lock the doors. I understand it has a chip inside and I assume it also has a battery inside. Maybe I should find out which kind to keep one on hand.

If the battery inside the key dies does it affect the key's ability to start the car? Its not a push button start, but a traditional insert the key and turn.

I think my local Ace Hardware can duplicate modern car keys. Will they be able to make a duplicate just for door opening purposes?

I thought i was pretty car saavy but I am about 10 or 15 years behind. Awhile back I tried to help a damsel in distress in a parking lot who couldn't get her luxury SUV to start. I sat inside to assess what was wrong and if maybe I could help. I couldn't even figure out how to work her car! Haha
    First - Battery has nothing to do with starting your car. Battery operates the remote keyless entry. If your battery dies, you will have to unlock your car manually by inserting your key & turning it. You don't need a battery to start your car. You need a programmed chip in the key to start your car.

This is the key you can program yourself, but it requires two working keys to do so -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283887359971

1. You buy a $8.25 key from eBay.
    2. Have ACE cut both sides for about $2.50. They made me sign a waiver for a key brought in. If they don't cut it right, they don' want to be responsible for it.
    3. Follow the instructions in your manual, and you have a third key that will start your car. This key has no battery in it, but it will unlock your car manually & start it. I made/have one.

Since you only have one key, I would start at ACE & see what they can do for you?

I had a single key made for a Ford Focus about a year ago, and it cost about $85. That key, however, would unlock the door manually & start the car. He had to hook up a scanner to the car & program the car to the key or key to the car? It took him about 5-minutes in the parking lot. Also note: the Ford Focus uses a laser cut key which is more expensive, but ACE now has a machine to do those in my hometown area at least.

Mirage double sized cut key should be much cheaper. If they have the right match, they can surely cut you a key. That may include one with or without transponder chip in it.

For example, I have 5 or 6 plain keys cut for our 2015 Impala. All the instructors and our local mechanic has one to access the car (like you want). Once in the car, they pull the factory key with a chip out of the glovebox to start/use the car. These extra keys cost less than $3 each, because they were simple double cut keys without chips (& not the laser type).

Hopefully, ACE can help you out. They would be much cheaper than a dealer.

There's a lot of not reading going on here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There's a lot of not reading going on here.
    I don't really think so. I've surely seen worst!

If Ace Hardware can cut & program a second key for him, he may as well have an extra one cut. He doesn't need them to program an extra (third) key, because he can then program it himself using the existing two programmed keys.

My main reason for having three keys is if I lose one, I can program a replacement myself with the remaining two. It only take a few minutes, & it doesn't require any tools (or cost) to program the new key to your car. The catch, however, you must have two keys to do it.

It's a shame you can't do the same with Canadian Mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $209 at Ace for a Mirage key that is not in stock.
    $80 for my wife's 2003 Honda Odyssey.

They say if I can find a blank they can make a door key for cheap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    $209 at Ace for a Mirage key that is not in stock.
    $80 for my wife's 2003 Honda Odyssey.

They say if I can find a blank they can make a door key for cheap.
    The blank key I shared from eBay will work. If they just cut it for a couple buck, it will unlock your door manually.

It's really too bad you didn't get two working keys. It took me less than $15 to make a third programmed key for my Mirage. I carry it with me on longer trips.

I wonder if someone could program the $8.25 key for you?

I would check with locksmiths & such.