Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Random odd or cheap for sale...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...rce=ios_social

Look at the pics of the floors lmfao! They’ve been patched...and poorly. There’s pieces of floor held in with screws. “Solid floors”.

It is what it is. They’re not asking $40,000. Would be a cheap way to get into an old car. But if you want to completely restore it, you’ll very likely be into it for far more money than it’ll ever be worth.

Last edited by Fummins; 06-20-2021 at 07:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's neat, I'm glad I went to see it. But you're 100% right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, there is no such thing as an "affordable" classic car. And things aren't nearly as nearly as nice as you remember them being.

In order to be anywhere near the comfort and reliability of literally any other modern vehicle, you would have to (1) entirely replace the frame and suspension, (2) replace the engine and transmission, (3) find a clean donor body, strip it, zinc coat it, paint it, (4) replace all the interior trim because anything factory has long since turned to dust. This is to say nothing of electronics and soundproofing. Also, don't forget your Sunday cruise around town will probably end up costing >$100 with gasoline prices these days.

I love these retro cars and the people who poor the blood, sweat, and tears into restoring and preserving them. But holy cow, I do not think I will ever be one of them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That Valiant looks like a real creampuff. If you ever do restore that baby I’d love to stop by and check it out. After all you’re just across The Lake.
    Easy and quiet drive for the most part, going through the Windsor area of Ontario. I might be visiting Falling Water waterfall house in western Pennsylvania soon. We got all these donations from the states so now I will be double vaxed in 3 days and not 3 months lol. So thank you to my American friends.

Anyway maybe along the way I might see what MirageRally is up to. I don't camp in my Mirage to save a buck though lol, I stay at hotels with pools, no other way when you're travelling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wasn't being critical of the Subaru. I just shared what I found on it. I don't remember ever seeing one. I don't care that much about 0-60 mph times either. These cars still beat walking!

The title of the Subaru actually reminded me of Doug DeMuro's stupid Mirage title.

I do remember my uncle owing a Honda N600, which would have been the same vintage car. It was also two cylinders but not a 2-stroke engine. The N series was replaced by the Civic.
    The first car I ever drove on public roadways was a Honda 600, 2 cyl, 4 stroke air cooled with the shifter coming out of the dash. Technically we stole it as we were 14 at the time and I doubt my buddies father would have let us drive around. That thing was a blast.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...rce=ios_social

Look at the pics of the floors lmfao! They’ve been patched...and poorly. There’s pieces of floor held in with screws. “Solid floors”.

It is what it is. They’re not asking $40,000. Would be a cheap way to get into an old car. But if you want to completely restore it, you’ll very likely be into it for far more money than it’ll ever be worth.
    I just passed up a clean, rust free 64 convertible Falcon, ready to go, $5,500. It only lasted a day in the guys driveway.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That Valiant looks like a real creampuff. If you ever do restore that baby I’d love to stop by and check it out. After all you’re just across The Lake.
    That Valiant isn't a car you spend a bunch of money restoring. You make it reliable and presentable, then drive it to work or to the grocery store on sunny summer days.

You think the Mirage is easy to work on? THOSE cars are easy to work on.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There's enough room in the engine bay of a slant six to set a tent up and camp out. Just make sure your glove box is full of spare ballast resistors.

Last edited by Fummins; 06-21-2021 at 03:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mmm... That Dodge 600 is into my kind of car territory. I love the 1986 only design they had. K car power!

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2021)