Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford will sell a ton of these I bet!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Looking back at some of the posts, I'm not certain the FWD and dinky bed will hurt them much. Most trucks have dinky beds nowadays anyway. A 6.5' bed to me is just barely enough. Put a toolbox back there and forget about it. Not enough bed left.

The caveat with that being a real problem is that small utility trailers are VERY useful. Put the nasty in the utility trailer, or an ATV because it is much easier to load with the utility trailer's ramp, and put groceries in the bed of the truck. That's the current popular thing to do. Not that I blame them, it's a good enough option.

I prefer to do it like this.Attachment 21331
    That set ups not happening with a maverick

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    My truck is a long bed, 6 speed manual. Gonna hang on to that dinosaur. Done had it 21 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://youtu.be/-arOcpTLySU

Doug's take. Can't drive it yet though

Just buy a Toyota... Attachment 21333

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Long box trucks are going the way of the Dinosaur just like the manual transmission! Aparently you can't even buy a fullsize pickup truck with a a stick anymore? I haven't fact checked this article but it's sad if it's true: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-las...-transmission/
    I followed a 1st generation RWD Ford Ranger (regular cab) into town today. It had antique plates, & it was only clipping along @ 50 mph or so. It had a cap on the back, & it was in very nice shape for an approximately 35 year old truck. By today's standards it looked tiny!

I really miss simple trucks like that. I drove someone's (belonged to my girlfriend's dad) 1983 Ford Ranger with a 5-speed manual during my college years quite often. I really liked that truck. They were a truck first, & people hauler second. Today's trucks are people haulers first, & a truck second. An extended cab with a 6.5' box would be a little more appealing for those interested in a small truck.

If I wanted a manual to replace current Forester manual, the new Ford Bronco (not Bronco Sport) has that option. There's not much else these days.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the Maverick might just be the truck that brings compact trucks back to the North American market. They're not going to be like the small trucks of the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but I think it might just bring the segment back. Here's hoping so. Not everyone needs the heft of of a full-size truck let alone the mid-sized size. I'm sure some would debate the need for a pickup at all when looking at a 4.5' bed, however. Does that defeat the point of having a pickup? I don't think so necessarily. I guess we're going to find out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I think the Maverick might just be the truck that brings compact trucks back to the North American market. They're not going to be like the small trucks of the 70s, 80s, or 90s, but I think it might just bring the segment back. Here's hoping so. Not everyone needs the heft of of a full-size truck let alone the mid-sized size. I'm sure some would debate the need for a pickup at all when looking at a 4.5' bed, however. Does that defeat the point of having a pickup? I don't think so necessarily. I guess we're going to find out.
    I honestly feel the 4.5" bed does defeat the purpose of owing a truck for me. Look at what they have in the back of it in the pics, & I would rather have that stuff inside my SUV. When I go to my parents in the spring or fall, my Mirage is loaded with hunting blinds, guns, bows, hunting clothes or whatever. If I want to take my ATV, I am taking my Forester with a trailer. All the other stuff is safe inside the vehicle. I would rather fold down the rear seat of my Forester & take grass trimmer to town than have it hang out of the rear of a Maverick pickup truck. If I really needed a truck, a 6.5' or 8' bed would not be something I would compromise on.

The Maverick & Santa Cruz are inferior trucks & inferior SUVs in my opinion. They don't fit the bill for why I would buy a truck or an SUV for that matter. For those who don't need a truck & can't buy a Focus, Fiesta, Fusion, or Taurus, this is the rig for them! Ecosports are becoming more common in my area recently. Why? Because some people buy Fords & they have no choice for anything cheaper.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-09-2021 at 01:32 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Why does every manufacturer figure every one wants a 4 door truck. The 4 doors on a truck kills it for me. I would rather have more bed space...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Clessy (06-24-2021),strawboss (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Long box trucks are going the way of the Dinosaur just like the manual transmission! Aparently you can't even buy a fullsize pickup truck with a a stick anymore? I haven't fact checked this article but it's sad if it's true: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-las...-transmission/
    I think here in the States the last fullsize pickup offered with a manual was the 2019 Ram 2500, but you had to order the Cummins to get it. Last time I built a Taco on Toyota's website the 6-speed was only offered with the TRD Sport. The Off-Road and Pro use some sort of high-falutin', computer-controlled, hill descent assist nonsense which only works with the automatic.

IIRC, the 5-speed manual which was offered on lesser Tacomas was discontinued a year or two ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the hybrid is 191hp. The eco boost upgrade is 250 and a 1,085 upgrade and you get 4k towing.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/20k-ford-maverick-pickup

The base one with 2k towing will be enough for many, even macho guys with big lifted 1/2 tons. Most I see them tow is a 16-18' aluminum boat usually lol