Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford will sell a ton of these I bet!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ford will sell a ton of these I bet!

The new Maverick. 40mpg city 37 hwy under 20g by a fiver.
    2-4k tow rating and 1,500 payload. Only 4.5' bed why not a 5.5 at least?
    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2022-fo...-pickup-hybrid

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The new Maverick. 40mpg city 37 hwy under 20g by a fiver.
    2-4k tow rating and 1,500 payload. Only 4.5' bed why not a 5.5 at least?
    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2022-fo...-pickup-hybrid
    Front wheel drive pickup truck, however. No hybrid 4WD option. When the bed is that short, I would rather own an SUV & nice utility trailer. That's 10x more useful to me.

4WD with 2.0L turbo is $35,000.

Doesn't make me want to give up what I already have, but it may be popular for some. Ford lost their car crowd. They need an affordable something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Only 4.5' bed why not a 5.5 at least?
    I'd guess it is because Ford does not want you using this Ford-Escape-with-a-vestigial-bed for real pickup truck jobs, and they don't want to undercut sales of their more profitable Ranger/F-Series/Super Duty.

This is essentially a slightly more macho version of the old Subaru Baja (Outback with a bed) or a smaller version of the Honda Ridgeline (Pilot with a bed). And yes, Ford will sell a ton of these. Don't get too excited...nobody will be able to buy one anyway until "Chip-ocalypse 2021" is over.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I'd guess it is because Ford does not want you using this Ford-Escape-with-a-vestigial-bed for real pickup truck jobs...
    Sir...if you'll just pull your Maverick around to the loading area we'll have you ready to go in a few minutes...

Name:  homedepot.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  55.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-11-2021)

The explorer sport trac had a dinky bed like that too. But it came with a "bed extender" I believe. Open tailgate, boom bed just got longer!
    So this is kind of a newer Ferd version of the Baja? Attachment 21328

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Sir...if you'll just pull your Maverick around to the loading area we'll have you ready to go in a few minutes...

Name:  homedepot.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  55.5 KB
    Wow. Some "special" breed of people actually want their trucks to look like that for some stupid reason. Attachment 21329

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Seems like not such a good business idea to launch a vehicle (that I'm guessing will sell well also) that looks like will directly scavenge their own Ranger sales. At this point, the Maverick seems more appealing to me than the Ranger ... although I don't really know as much as I would need to to buy either one, it seems as though the Maverick could quickly scavenge the Ranger to the point of decimation. Toyota is VERY careful to never do such a thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Looking back at some of the posts, I'm not certain the FWD and dinky bed will hurt them much. Most trucks have dinky beds nowadays anyway. A 6.5' bed to me is just barely enough. Put a toolbox back there and forget about it. Not enough bed left.

The caveat with that being a real problem is that small utility trailers are VERY useful. Put the nasty in the utility trailer, or an ATV because it is much easier to load with the utility trailer's ramp, and put groceries in the bed of the truck. That's the current popular thing to do. Not that I blame them, it's a good enough option.

I prefer to do it like this.Name:  ZA Avatar - 1.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  95.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Looking back at some of the posts, I'm not certain the FWD and dinky bed will hurt them much. Most trucks have dinky beds nowadays anyway. A 6.5' bed to me is just barely enough. Put a toolbox back there and forget about it. Not enough bed left.

The caveat with that being a real problem is that small utility trailers are VERY useful. Put the nasty in the utility trailer, or an ATV because it is much easier to load with the utility trailer's ramp, and put groceries in the bed of the truck. That's the current popular thing to do. Not that I blame them, it's a good enough option.

I prefer to do it like this.Name:  ZA Avatar - 1.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  95.7 KB
    Long box trucks are going the way of the Dinosaur just like the manual transmission! Aparently you can't even buy a fullsize pickup truck with a a stick anymore? I haven't fact checked this article but it's sad if it's true: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-las...-transmission/

Last edited by Fummins; 06-08-2021 at 05:14 PM. Reason: posted wrong link...