Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member needs help with 2014 Mirage over heating problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    A compression test is in order. But also, if your coolant starts looking somewhat like chocolate milk and your oil level is rising ... you have a blown head gasket.
    Or worse a cracked block and/or head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Or worse a cracked block and/or head.
    Yeah, of course that's true. Ya never really know until it is inspected by guys who know what they are doing. I would think that would be low risk, but that's just a guess on my part.

I've been wondering ... I wonder if the old 1.0L engine would fit directly? Another 5 to 10 mpg couldn't hurt. When it comes right down to it, I would likely go back with the exact same engine model as came with the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yeah, of course that's true. Ya never really know until it is inspected by guys who know what they are doing. I would think that would be low risk, but that's just a guess on my part.

I've been wondering ... I wonder if the old 1.0L engine would fit directly? Another 5 to 10 mpg couldn't hurt. When it comes right down to it, I would likely go back with the exact same engine model as came with the car.
    Unfortunately the 3A90 1.0 was never offered here in North America. Many of us here on the forum would have chosen the 1.0 if it would have been available in a base ultra poverty level model like the old Metro XFE.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Man, the 3A92 engine is supposed to be tough and last well beyond 100k miles for the most part. I'm sorry that happened to you OP. At least outsourcing a used one shouldn't be too hard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man, the 3A92 engine is supposed to be tough and last well beyond 100k miles for the most part. I'm sorry that happened to you OP. At least outsourcing a used one shouldn't be too hard.
    If his friend borrowing the car let it overheat for a long period with lost coolant (from a broken hose), that's not really the fault of the engine.

Not being able to buy something simple like a radiator hose, however, is a concern. Hopefully, it's just low stock of stuff around the country, because the dealership couldn't even help him on that.

Seems like you could use a universal radiator hose in the meantime (verses taping a broken hose)?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-16-2021)

Shoulda bought a Toyota

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)