Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVT Jerky

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Jerky

CVT Dott switches into neutral logic 30 to 45 seconds after stopped. The CVT is jumpy at low speed once in a while almost like it slams into gear even though its not built like a traditional transmission best way to describe light turns red you slow to 5 - 10 mph light turns green you accelerate the transmission feels like it thumps or slams. Doesn't do all the time but once it starts it does repeat several times. 46k still in bumper to bumper.

Any advice on something I can try?

Fluid fresh and level no codes no leaks cvt runs great otherwise just crappy in stop and go situations. 46k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    CVT Dott switches into neutral logic 30 to 45 seconds after stopped. The CVT is jumpy at low speed once in a while almost like it slams into gear even though its not built like a traditional transmission best way to describe light turns red you slow to 5 - 10 mph light turns green you accelerate the transmission feels like it thumps or slams. Doesn't do all the time but once it starts it does repeat several times. 46k still in bumper to bumper.

Any advice on something I can try?

Fluid fresh and level no codes no leaks cvt runs great otherwise just crappy in stop and go situations. 46k.
    You might try to see if having this TSB done helps. It sounds like your situation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could you explain the TSB ? We have one dealer in our area and they tend to say insulting comments example when the cvt had the coolant seepage they had the audacity to ask if the car was in a severe accident. My wife's car Dolores was titled in her pre married name, different phone number, address, etc when we had the check engine light on hers they said similar caustic comment. Both cars are well cared for and are in much better condition then the Mirages they try selling in the used retail lot. I am in no mood to play games my dad is very ill from serving in the military. If I speak to.them want to be as informed as possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could you explain the TSB ? We have one dealer in our area and they tend to say insulting comments example when the cvt had the coolant seepage they had the audacity to ask if the car was in a severe accident. My wife's car Dolores was titled in her pre married name, different phone number, address, etc when we had the check engine light on hers they said similar caustic comment. Both cars are well cared for and are in much better condition then the Mirages they try selling in the used retail lot. I am in no mood to play games my dad is very ill from serving in the military. If I speak to.them want to be as informed as possible.
    I'd pick another dealer but if that's not possible bring a copy of this TSB to take with you. Tell them you are experiencing the conditions listed in the TSB. This is covered under warranty (see page 11):

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization to repair. If an
    affected vehicle is reported with the described condition, diagnose the condition, repair as described
    in this bulletin and submit a normal warranty claim using the following information.
    Operation Labor Operation
    Code Nature Code Cause Code Time
    Allowance
    Reprogram CVT ECU 238501 13 82J 8A0 0.4 hrs.
    Warranty Coverage: 8 years / 80,000 miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Next dealer 90 + miles away. Thanks for the TSB info and advice.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure the level isn't over or under full. I had one that was shifting funny, the level looked a little low. Not sure why? Did a drop and fill(2.5L on level hoist). Seemed fine after that.

My black car and some of the work cars act like that too. Almost come to a stop then hit the throttle and it bangs into gear. Not the nicest feeling in the world.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Next dealer 90 + miles away. Thanks for the TSB info and advice.
    90+ miles away ... yubba. Just a wild hair thought, maybe call the closest dealer and ask if there may be any 3rd party or other dealership you could use more local, under the factory warranty. Probably not, but you never know.

But it sounds like a trip to the dealer may be in order.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I do have the same issue once a while...., so I plug in cvtz50 app and monitor it
    it seems that a delayed shifting of auxiliary gearbox from high to low speed gear. (a solid triangle will show up if in high speed gear)
    Not sure if caused by sticky valve body or just TCM getting confused by my driving.
    It is pretty obvious if you are in heavy traffic and repicking up speed from 20km/h with medium to heavy gas, no complete full stop
    or
    pick up speed from stop to 40>>slow down to 20>>and accelerate>>and complete stop>>jot and delayed downshift

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Can the CVT range be manually selected?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can the CVT range be manually selected?
    Yes, "B" or "L" is the low range. You can do almost 70mph in "B" or "L" before upshifting in "D" or "Ds"