Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone down cruise control acceleration speed

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Tone down cruise control acceleration speed

Has anyone discovered a way to tone down how quickly the cruise control hits the gas, whenever you use the resume or accelerate functions it hammers the engine more than it's ever been hammered in it's life. It's pretty bad whenever you start climbing a hill too, just instantly dumps the virtual pedal to the floor, I imagine it's not so good for the CVT.

Seems to be this way in every car that has cruise and it's always been a pet peeve so I'm not hopeful but maybe something can be hacked with the ETACS?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I have the Rostra cruise control set up and it does exactly what you described! I spent $500 to install this and its only good for flat areas. I didn't know the OEM CC experienced the same bad performance. That sucks. Our weak engines just can't handle CC tackling large hills.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Cruise isn't really meant for hilly areas. All cruise control systems do this, as you say...they try to maintain and/or accelerate to the set speed as rapidly as possible.

I find the oem cruise in my 14' is the opposite. I use cruise on a single lane road at 50mph, hit a stop sign then once I get up to 25mph I hit resume and it slowly accelerates to 50, keeping the rpm well under 3000. Lower than I can keep it with my foot.

This is on flat land though.

The rostra unik I had in my other car was pretty aggressive, I couldn't see the stupid controls and couldn't be bothered moving them to a better spot so rarely used it.

Him/he/they/them/beer/turbo/unicorn/burnt clutch/flat tire/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

skyblue (06-16-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I have the Rostra cruise control set up and it does exactly what you described! I spent $500 to install this and its only good for flat areas. I didn't know the OEM CC experienced the same bad performance. That sucks. Our weak engines just can't handle CC tackling large hills.
    I've read in a few places that Rostras have DIP switches that you can play around with and I recall seeing somewhere that one of them controlled how angry the cruise control was, hopefully yours has something, maybe you could improve it.

I wonder where the settings for the OEM cruise is located, somewhere in the depths of the ECU I guess.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    This rate or amount of aggression is GAIN. I have no idea if it is adjustable sneaking into ETACS. I wouldn't know.

Skyblue - I don't notice this level of aggression and I do live in a hilly area. Because through all the vehicles I own / have owned, I have learned to avoid / mitigate this issue, by the following.

Say I have the cruise set at 60 mph. And for whatever reason I had to cancel it. Whatever speed I wind up at, I accelerate with my foot to within maybe 1 to 3 mph of my set speed before I press resume. The gain it has programmed also has a rate at which it adds throttle. So say I'm on the flat and level, I speed it up to ~58 mph with my foot and press the resume. It generally accelerates close to what I was doing, and is pleasant enough. But say I'm at ~58 mph and pulling a decent grade, if I press resume, it will start out like what it did in the previous scenario ... but it will also employ a rate of adding throttle until it is WOT. So going up a hill, if it doesn't get to the set speed quick enough, it keeps adding throttle. If it is steep enough, it will go WOT before it even speeds up those last 2 mph it needs.

It's not often I find myself in such a condition (going up a hill, nearly my set speed). But if I do, I just wait until I'm topping the hill to press resume. I don't want it flooring it, and annoying me, when flooring it is not necessary. I can live with 58 mph for a while until I top the hill.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Has anyone discovered a way to tone down how quickly the cruise control hits the gas, whenever you use the resume or accelerate functions it hammers the engine more than it's ever been hammered in it's life. It's pretty bad whenever you start climbing a hill too, just instantly dumps the virtual pedal to the floor, I imagine it's not so good for the CVT.

Seems to be this way in every car that has cruise and it's always been a pet peeve so I'm not hopeful but maybe something can be hacked with the ETACS?
    It’s not a defect. Cruise control tries to maintain a set speed. The greater the error between the set speed and actual speed, the greater the throttle input. This programming works to maintain speed in various conditions such as headwinds and uphill climbs. Most cruise controls function this way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I've had my mirage a few weeks and played around with fuel economy I'm okay I don't have cruise control for the reasons y'all mention. What I do wish I had was an electric throttle control. Like cruise control but locked on one throttle position independent of speed. Is there a product like that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I think that would have it's own set of sucky issues. Slow down terribly uphills, take off like mad downhill. Personally, I think that would suck much worse than the small issues of our cruise controls.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I don't mind it revving hard, it's the speed at which it does it, full on in a second, rather than gently depressing the gas, I don't really mind if there's a bit of sag in speed, like the economy mode on those throttle controllers you see for sale, I wonder if hooking one of those up would have any effect.