Thread: Another decent review: 2021 Mirage CVT - wheels.ca

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Another decent review: 2021 Mirage CVT - wheels.ca

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another decent review. The car is growing on reviewer's. A little.

https://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/re...shi-mirage-se/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-16-2021),MetroMPG (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another decent review. The car is growing on reviewer's. A little.

https://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/re...shi-mirage-se/

I believe the disappearance of competition is impacting the Mirage in a couple different ways.

First - You can't compare the Mirage to new cars that no longer exist. You can't tell someone to buy a new Yaris, Fit, Prius c, Fiesta, etc.... instead of a Mirage.

Secondly - I think it's impacting the Mirage's pricing. In 2017, White Bear Mitsubishi was selling new ES manuals for $9,000-9,500. They were as low as $7,500 if you qualified for all the extra rebates (loyalty, VIP, & military). Currently, a new ES manual is $13,500. A few nice features have been added since 2017, but they aren't worth $4,000-4,500 extra. Once again what's changed? Lack of competition - You can't tell someone a few thousand dollars more will buy you a new Honda Fit (once all the 2020 ones are gone).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-17-2021),MetroMPG (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe the disappearance of competition is impacting the Mirage in a couple different ways.

First - You can't compare the Mirage to new cars that no longer exist. You can't tell someone to buy a new Yaris, Fit, Prius c, Fiesta, etc.... instead of a Mirage.

Secondly - I think it's impacting the Mirage's pricing. In 2017, White Bear Mitsubishi was selling new ES manuals for $9,000-9,500. They were as low as $7,500 if you qualified for all the extra rebates (loyalty, VIP, & military). Currently, a new ES manual is $13,500. A few nice features have been added since 2017, but they aren't worth $4,000-4,500 extra. Once again what's changed? Lack of competition - You can't tell someone a few thousand dollars more will buy you a new Honda Fit (once all the 2020 ones are gone).
    All good points. Throw in overpriced used cars and rising fuel costs, and the ol' Mirage with warranty is suddenly looking pretty good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    All good points. Throw in overpriced used cars and rising fuel costs, and the ol' Mirage with warranty is suddenly looking pretty good.
    A couple months ago, White Bear was listing the 2021 ES manual for $10,999.

$9,999 (after $1,000 loyalty rebate at the time)
    $9,499 (after $500 military rebate)
    $8,999 (after $500 VIP rebate)

White Bear is pretty good about not tacking on extra charges. Unlike some dealerships, WB's pricing is not that deceptive. It cost approximate $854 to cover my 5.5% Wisconsin sales tax, registration, new Wisconsin plates, documentation fees, etc... in 2017, & that amount also included their dealership lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty (that probably has a lot fine print to read).

It will be interesting to see if that pricing returns some day? It may not?

Chevy Spark prices aren't priced as good now either.

Regardless of all that, it's good to see people recognize the value of a Mitsubishi Mirage. When Mrfitit bought a brand new 2021 ES manual for $10,400 OTD (delivered to North Carolina for no extra charge) a couple months ago, a brand new Toyota Corolla would have been twice that amount (just adding sales tax & nothing else).

When you can buy two Mirages for the price of one Corolla, that's not a bad deal. I know Pryme really loves his new Corolla, but they don't really belong in the same category. Mirage prices should reflect that, too. If they don't, I don't blame people for considering something else. I would!

Another level-headed review?? What's going on? That's 4 in a row!

Thread: Well I'll be! Best Mirage review [2021] I've seen in a long time! Driving.ca

Thread: AutoTrader.ca review: 2021 Mirage CVT gets some love
    Thread: New Review: "Should You Buy a 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage?"

Is it a coincidence that they're Canadian sites? Being too polite?

I haven't seen any 2021 reviews from the major blogs/publications from south of the 49th yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Another level-headed review?? What's going on? That's 4 in a row!
    Gas prices, & the fear they may go much higher, maybe?

European reviews have always been better, because Europeans value good economy cars. North Americans lag behind in that area.

If gas prices continue to rise, Mirage reviews will most likely continue to improve.

That hasn't translated to a jump in sales, but it may some day. I sense insecurity in the economy, but I am no expert on it.

European reviews have always been better, because Europeans value good economy cars. North Americans lag behind in that area.
    "Lag" suggests we'll catch up at some point. When it comes to economy cars in North America, I'm not so sure!

It's partly cultural. Which makes it no surprise that sales in Quebec dominate Canada's econobox market. Nissan said over half of Micras were sold there, despite Quebec making up just ~23% of Canada's population. Mirage is probably the same.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Folks are FINALLY seeing this little jewel for what it is, a well made, super economical, pretty darn cute little car. It's a great city car, and unfortunately one of the last of it's breed available in the US at least.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    "Lag" suggests we'll catch up at some point. When it comes to economy cars in North America, I'm not so sure!

It's partly cultural.
    If we were paying $9-10/gallon for gas like Germany, our automotive culture may change a little quicker. I'm not hoping for that. If gas was under $1/gallon, I would still drive a Mirage. If gas was $10/gallon, would as many people be driving trucks everywhere?

Some American car critics (snobs) sort of miss the point of economical transportation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If we were paying $9-10/gallon for gas like Germany, our automotive culture may change a little quicker. I'm not hoping for that. If gas was under $1/gallon, I would still drive a Mirage. If gas was $10/gallon, would as many people be driving trucks everywhere?

Some American car critics (snobs) sort of miss the point of economical transportation.
    My brother likes to joke that his Tundra has more cylinders on 1 side of his engine than my G4 has total. But then we started talking MPG and cost to fill up, and he said he may have to check out a used mirage for a commuter. I see him checking it out everytime I see him, lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (06-17-2021)