Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Progressive says Mitsubishi not eligible for Snapshot

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have bare bones coverage on my car, they want $925 a year. I have no collision, no theft, fire, nothing, just protect me from getting sued and losing my house insurance. I have full coverage on my side by side that cost 20x what the Mirage did. I feel like I'm way more likely to write that thing off than my car and it's less than half the cost to insure. But it seldom gets used

If I wreck the car it's likely not my fault, more than likely someone hit me and their insure should pay me out provided they have insurance(and I'm not dead). If they aren't insured I believe the government magically pays me out and they go after the uninsured driver until they repay whatever the payout was(provided they know who it was).

But if I wreck my car and it's my fault, insurance will cover the other guy and I'm left with a wrecked $1000 car to either fix or part out. And go back to driving the truck again.
    My 2000 Honda CR-V with 154,000 miles was rear ended/totaled in 2013 by a Chevy Tahoe (also totaled). Both vehicles only had liability insurance. I received a check for $5,995 for my CR-V. The other guy paid a fine, & I am sure his insurance with up. He received nothing for his vehicle, except whatever the scrap yard paid him.

Liability insurance is a must. You take out someone's new vehicle these days, it would be costly. I've recently added an umbrella policy, too. Medical costs & sue happy lawyers are out of control these days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Casey (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you could do all this, how much car insurance savings are you looking at here?

I've found it best to combine my homeowner & car insurance. I've used Progressive for motorcycle insurance in the past, however.

When my Mirage gets older, I will like it even more. I will drop comprehensive/collision & just keep liability. Given the current used car market, however, that may not be happening any time soon.
    I think they said you can save 20% if they like your driving. Progressive told me they may can do my home also. I didn't realize that. I need to call them back on that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I think they said you can save 20% if they like your driving. Progressive told me they may can do my home also. I didn't realize that. I need to call them back on that.
    I like using an independent insurance agent that carries several companies. I live in a rural area, & I am beyond 10 miles from a fire department. Some companies are better than other for my situation.

I switch companies when I bought my Mirage (adding a second vehicle to my policy). I didn't save much on my car insurance, but my homeowner's insurance was cut in half. It involved switching to a different independent agent, however. It pays to shop around.

I wish I got a 20% discount for being a driving instructor or having a CDL (commercial driving license).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have bare bones coverage on my car, they want $925 a year. I have no collision, no theft, fire, nothing, just protect me from getting sued and losing my house insurance. I have full coverage on my side by side that cost 20x what the Mirage did. I feel like I'm way more likely to write that thing off than my car and it's less than half the cost to insure. But it seldom gets used

If I wreck the car it's likely not my fault, more than likely someone hit me and their insure should pay me out provided they have insurance(and I'm not dead). If they aren't insured I believe the government magically pays me out and they go after the uninsured driver until they repay whatever the payout was(provided they know who it was).

But if I wreck my car and it's my fault, insurance will cover the other guy and I'm left with a wrecked $1000 car to either fix or part out. And go back to driving the truck again.
    A younger, more naive me was rear-ended by a driver without insurance who gave me fake information and then left the scene, turning it into a hit and run. Didn't get the license plate at the time or anything as I was too shaken.

I did eventually report it to the police, but it was the next day, and I was told that I could no longer file a police report as they must be filed at the time of the accident. The person I spoke with at the police station took pity on me, at least, and after telling me to learn from the mistake, reassured me that this was probably the cheapest way to learn the lesson. The damage was only superficial, and were the other driver not insured, I wouldn't have gotten any money out of them anyway unless I actively took them to court. Even if I won in that case, if they are poor people driving without insurance, they probably wouldn't have been able to/been forced to pay out anyway.

This was in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    A younger, more naive me was rear-ended by a driver without insurance who gave me fake information and then left the scene, turning it into a hit and run. Didn't get the license plate at the time or anything as I was too shaken.

I did eventually report it to the police, but it was the next day, and I was told that I could no longer file a police report as they must be filed at the time of the accident. The person I spoke with at the police station took pity on me, at least, and after telling me to learn from the mistake, reassured me that this was probably the cheapest way to learn the lesson. The damage was only superficial, and were the other driver not insured, I wouldn't have gotten any money out of them anyway unless I actively took them to court. Even if I won in that case, if they are poor people driving without insurance, they probably wouldn't have been able to/been forced to pay out anyway.

This was in PA.
    Wow, that sucks. I hit a moose years ago. I didn't have collision coverage so I didn't think I was covered. There was about $8000 worth of damage to my truck. Figured I was screwed.
    Just for ****s I called my insurance company and asked hypothetically if I hit an animal if I was covered. They said yup, it was an "act of god" kinda deal and covered under comprehensive. My next question was how much would my rates go up. Not at all...Unless I make a habit of hunting down animals with my vehicles.

I had to file a police report (anything damage over $2500? has to be reported here). I went to the cop shop almost a week after the hitting Bullwinkle, drew a little cartoon of what happened for them and was on my way.

I worked with a guy years ago who was in a really bad accident year and years before. He was hammered crashed, hurt or killed someone. He's been paying for it ever since. Every paycheck was garnished paying for that accident. He was pretty much broke for as long as I knew him and probably still to this day. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I wouldn't have gotten any money out of them anyway unless I actively took them to court..
    This is why God invented Judge Judy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that sucks. I hit a moose years ago. I didn't have collision coverage so I didn't think I was covered. There was about $8000 worth of damage to my truck. Figured I was screwed.
    Just for ****s I called my insurance company and asked hypothetically if I hit an animal if I was covered. They said yup, it was an "act of god" kinda deal and covered under comprehensive. My next question was how much would my rates go up. Not at all...Unless I make a habit of hunting down animals with my vehicles.

I had to file a police report (anything damage over $2500? has to be reported here). I went to the cop shop almost a week after the hitting Bullwinkle, drew a little cartoon of what happened for them and was on my way.

I worked with a guy years ago who was in a really bad accident year and years before. He was hammered crashed, hurt or killed someone. He's been paying for it ever since. Every paycheck was garnished paying for that accident. He was pretty much broke for as long as I knew him and probably still to this day. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    A much younger staff member @ my former school was thrilled when his old Toyota Corolla was peppered with hail a few years ago. He received a $3000 check, & in his eyes the car was still perfectly fine. He actually said, his dad taught his sister & him to back the car out of the garage if you know a storm is coming.

Deer damage would be my main reason for having comprehensive coverage. Deer damage keeps the local body shops in business around here. Carrying a small deductible can be worth it, too. No matter what insurance companies make money on all of us.

I just gamble with my cheap car. This is the first car I haven't had comprehensive coverage on and right now the most expensive to insure, other than the wifes full everything liened out kia.

If black car gets damaged and needs more than a few hundred worth of parts to repair I'll have a pretty good excuse to get something else.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)