Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progressive says Mitsubishi not eligible for Snapshot

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Progressive says Mitsubishi not eligible for Snapshot

I just got off the phone with Progressive Insurance. I was real excited about putting Snapshot in my Mirage to save money on insurance. They told me the Mitsubishi Mirage wasn't eligible because it doesn't have an OBDII port. Well, I know that's not the real reason. The customer service agent said it most not provide the needed data. Just posting to make sure they are right and see if anyone here uses snapshot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I participate in the Oregon pay per mile program with the Mirage which uses a snapshot like device that plugs into your OBDII port. Believe me, it reports a whole bunch of data. Here is a little brochure about the program so I'm not sure why Progressive's Snapshot device wouldn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly despite being very cheap I'll pay for traditional insurance. The less I get data mined the better. If I need to full on stomp on my brakes (as I did back in early March) to minimize/avoid an accident I don't want to have second thoughts in the instant it matters most "But rapid deceleration will make the rates go up".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Honestly despite being very cheap I'll pay for traditional insurance. The less I get data mined the better. If I need to full on stomp on my brakes (as I did back in early March) to minimize/avoid an accident I don't want to have second thoughts in the instant it matters most "But rapid deceleration will make the rates go up".
    I hear ya there. What most people don't realize is that if you have any newer vehicle that has built in navigation and internet capability you are already being tracked. By whom, who knows but your vehicle is reporting it's location constantly when you have those kinds of bells and whistles which pretty much is standard equipment in almost every new car these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For sure, that's one of the Mirages saving graces in my mind: No Onstar style service, no outgoing radio antennas, no touchscreen computerized radio!

More electronics than a Metro but more like a 90s car in that respect than just about anything else on the market recently.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I did the same thing the other morning to avoid smooshing a possum. When I spoke with Progressive they had told me you get two hard stops per day before it affects anything. Frequent trips lasting more than two hours and certain accelerations hurt you also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage has a obd2 port.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I did the same thing the other morning to avoid smooshing a possum. When I spoke with Progressive they had told me you get two hard stops per day before it affects anything. Frequent trips lasting more than two hours and certain accelerations hurt you also.
    How do they track and document the numerous a-holes that cut me off and turn in front of me because it's a small car?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I just got off the phone with Progressive Insurance. I was real excited about putting Snapshot in my Mirage to save money on insurance. They told me the Mitsubishi Mirage wasn't eligible because it doesn't have an OBDII port. Well, I know that's not the real reason. The customer service agent said it most not provide the needed data. Just posting to make sure they are right and see if anyone here uses snapshot.
    Pretty much any car sold in North america built after 1995 has an obdII port. But the Mirage's are picky about what you plug into it. We had obdII trackers in our cars for a short time but removed them and went with a hard wired type because the obdII ones would make the cars go bat**** crazy at random causing them to lose power and throw traction control and abs lights.

Another member had some wifi hotspot thing plugged into his and had the same problem. He was in denial though.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Casey (06-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pretty much any car sold in North america built after 1995 has an obdII port. But the Mirage's are picky about what you plug into it. We had obdII trackers in our cars for a short time but removed them and went with a hard wired type because the obdII ones would make the cars go bat**** crazy at random causing them to lose power and throw traction control and abs lights.

Another member had some wifi hotspot thing plugged into his and had the same problem. He was in denial though.
    The scangauge had no problems in the mirage obd 2 port

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Casey (06-17-2021)