Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Clutch hard to press. Solved: warranty replaced pivot shaft, seal, release bearing

Confirmed with a scale: clutch in Mirage #3 takes twice as much force as Mirage #2. Poop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Added eBay pics of a Mirage transaxle to first post. Shows the location of the pivot shaft, fork, throwout/release bearing, lever arm (on top), etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Car is at the dealer. They disconnected the clutch cable and it appears smooth and is well lubed still. Seems the linkage going into the transmission is sticky so something within that assembly could be suspect.
    They are seeing how long parts will take to come in.

They let me use a new Outlander sport while they have the mirage. Seems nice and quiet but have not been able to best 28.7mpg mixed so far in it.

I should hear later today ETA on parts. They might need to take the transmission out for this he said.
    My 2014 has a heavier clutch than my 2017, about 10 lbs. more I guess. As long as I can still shift it I don't care.

I'm surprised the Outlander mileage is so poor. My Saturn Vue gets ~35mpg with AC on @60mph. I was considering buying the Outlander, that was until Ford announced their new Maverick truck. 44 mpg city is impressive. About the same cost as the Outlander.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ford announced their new Maverick truck. 44 mpg city is impressive.
    That Maverick has the same drivetrain as the Bronco Sport, which is based on the Escape so there’s three choices in models to choose from.

The Escape is Ford’s best selling vehicle behind the F-150.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

The Escape is Ford’s best selling vehicle behind the F-150.
    Only a Ford Escape owner would know that!

Maybe not?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like one is in need of the same repair ours needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Only a Ford Escape owner would know that!

Maybe not?
    Been following the Escape though not nearly as much as I've been following the Mirage. The Mirage is more interesting.

Took the Escape camping again this weekend, towing our little A-liner trailer about 45 minutes away. We took a freeway out and got about 25mpg and got almost 28 mpg on the return trip home taking backroads. Not as good as last time - I was hoping that running freeway miles would improve the fuel economy, and here's why - the current generation Escape uses an eight-speed automatic transmission. The top overdrive gear is blocked out under 57 mph.

Cruise control was used in Eco mode. I found I can use the paddle shifters to anticipate hill climbs and downshift a gear. This helps maintain speed before the speed error was so great that cruise control would overcorrect and cause the transmission to kick down two gears if that makes any sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Cruise control was used in Eco mode. I found I can use the paddle shifters to anticipate hill climbs and downshift a gear. This helps maintain speed before the speed error was so great that cruise control would overcorrect and cause the transmission to kick down two gears if that makes any sense.
    I've only owned 4WD/AWD manuals (1999 Ford Explorer, 1st & 2nd generation Honda CR-Vs, & my current Forester.). Any touch of the clutch to downshift & cruise is disabled. I don't think my 1988 Isuzu Trooper had cruise.

Now the Trooper was a basic, cheap 4WD vehicle in its day, but towing capacity was 3,500 pounds like the current Escape. I miss vehicles that looked like square boxes! I think I said that twice today now!

I just dumped $200 in fuel into my trailer yesterday. That thing gets a whopping 0MPG!

I'm heading out Glamping on Friday. Will report my fuel economy numbers and pics of Samsquench when I get home.

I'd like to thank those who do their part to make up for my carbon footprint.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just dumped $200 in fuel into my trailer yesterday. That thing gets a whopping 0MPG!

I'm heading out Glamping on Friday. Will report my fuel economy numbers and pics of Samsquench when I get home.

I'd like to thank those who do their part to make up for my carbon footprint.
    Yep! That's why the rest of us are all driving Mirages!