Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Clutch hard to press. Solved: warranty replaced pivot shaft, seal, release bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yep! That's why the rest of us are all driving Mirages!
    I guess the wife is doing her part while her v6 suv thing sits in the garage lol. She puts on way more miles than I do in a week, driving to appointments across the city multiple times a week.

I couldn't be more smug when I point out that my car is paid for and gets twice the fuel economy as her suv. And I'll never have to worry about a shattered sunroof. Ever....Now I'm sleeping in the camper.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (06-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd like to thank those who do their part to make up for my carbon footprint.
    You're welcome. It's not my wallet you are hurting, it's your own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I’m spending my kids inheritance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ....Now I'm sleeping in the camper.
    SOOO Lucky you are... I've been trying to get the Queen to sleep in the camper for years, & I just realized I don't have a camper... The Girl Friend should have told me that a long time ago...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-22-2021),inuvik (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My 2014 has a heavier clutch than my 2017, about 10 lbs. more I guess. As long as I can still shift it I don't care.
    I wonder if there's a potential corrosion issue at the top of the pivot shaft. EG: if it's not perfectly sealed from the outside. It'd be more noticeable in the older cars with lotsa kms like ours.

My 1989 Accord had that corrosion issue, to the point that the pivot shaft gradually started binding up inside its bushing (or whatever it pivots inside), which gradually prevented the clutch from fully engaging. Only clutch I've ever had to replace - it eventually started slipping due to that problem.

I've been dribbling WD40 around the Mirage's pivot shaft where it comes through the top of the transmission, and the clutch action has improved a small but noticeable amount. There used to be some light "sticktion" (stop-slip-stop-slip...) at the beginning of the pedal travel if I pressed down verrrrrry slowly. That's gone now.

I want to say the pedal effort is reduced, but I haven't measured it. It's probably mostly in my head.

I'll keep lubricating it and re-measure it eventually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)