Against my better judgement (and rapidly dwindling places to park cars), I pulled the trigger on this bad boy and picked it up last night.
It's a no-options, appliance-white Canadian poverty edition icon! AKA the lightest 6G Mirage sold in North America.
Assuming it checks out, this car will replace my Mirage #2.
It's a no-accidents, one-owner car that lived in Ottawa, driven by a homecare nurse who drove it all over hell's half acre - thus the higher than usual kms @ 174k = 108k miles. This was her first car, and when she bought it, she was looking for the cheapest, most fuel-efficient car she could get. (Her husband is a software guy and has a Prius C.) With a new (second) baby in the household, the Mirage got the boot, likely to be replaced by something a bit bigger.
They're a super nice couple who patiently answered my dozens of questions before I decided to make the drive to Ottawa to have a look at it.
- Maintained by the book, mostly at the dealership. Regular documented oil changes. Recalls all done.
- runs better than Mirage #2 (no rattly cold starts)
- 4/5 seating positions are super clean
- came with a set of 1 year-old Pirelli winter tires on wheels
- paid $1800
- scratchy 'n' denty
- clutch is twice as stiff as it should be - possibly the same problem Pryme experienced
- 2nd gear may be slightly worn - first couple of cold shifts feel "chunky"... but it doesn't grind
- 1st gear is somewhat reluctant to engage when rolling - this will be a double-clutcher.
- it was parked (outside) for much of the pandemic, so it probably needs rotors & pads
- one rear window will self-lower a cm or 2 from closed on bumpy roads
I really haven't had a chance go over it with a fine tooth comb, but it drives & stops straight, the clutch doesn't slip, and it doesn't make any funny noises.
The immediate effect of buying Mirage #3 is I will be putting the $800 Honda Fit that I JUST BOUGHT up for sale next week... and I want to do a tiny bit of bodywork to make it look more presentable. So that will occupy my free time until then.
But once that's done, I'll dive into the Appliance Car and will report back with findings.
If it checks out, this will replace Mirage #2 which will also eventually go on the block.