Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mirage #3: Appliance Car :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE (base stripper) (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mirage #3: Appliance Car
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage SE (base stripper)
    White
    5-speed

The holy grail! Base Canadian Mirage with no options: no AC, manual locks (no remote), wind-up rear windows, manual HVAC settings, no cruise, etc. Yet another cheap, used scratch 'n' dent special with high kms for its age (174k).

Details

Colour: Frigidaire White. A littlle banged up, with rust creeping around the edges.

Front carpet: 50% sodium chloride

•  

Aftermarket bluetooth thingy!

•  

Stiff clutch pedal.

•  

Yes. Possible fubar rear axle.

•  

Stock Enasaves in decent shape. Two are much newer, so I will have to investigate rear axle alignment.

•  
    Comments: 58 / Views: 37670
    Wrong, I was!

I just measured the stock battery, and it's a bit bigger than I thought. One of my boat batteries is only slightly wider, by an inch. H & W are the same.

That means I won't be able to use the plastic "tub" the stock battery sits in, but aside from that, it'll fit just fine.

7-day forecast isn't convertible friendly. I'll probably put away the crapcan Miata and put the Mirage back in service later this week or early next.

FYI, stock battery measurement/dimensions: 9 x 9 x 6.5 inches, give or take a quarter inch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-25-2021)

Are you excited for winter!!??? I are not.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Miata Mirage

Twinsies?

Name:  mirage-miata-wheels-cropped.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  miata-wheel-bored.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  67.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-12-2022),inuvik (01-12-2022)

Double your money!

So, it looks like used car pricing craziness has finally reached the sleepy corner of Canada I live in.

This is based on watching 3 things for several years now. I have 3 email alerts to let me know about:
    (1) Mirages under $4500
    (2) Nissan Micras under $4500 (both within 500 km)
    (3) any local (within 50 km) manual transmission cars under $4000.

The inventory of #1 & #2 has gone to basically zero in the past month or so. The inventory of #3 is about 1/3 of normal levels.

At this point I could probably tidy up & sell my Mirage for twice or more what I paid for it.

I have 2 other vehicles that I can use in its place while I wait for prices to return to normal and then snap up another cheap Mirage.

Name:  Profit1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  29.0 KB

Tempting... tempting...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    What percentage of the 911 new Mirages sold in Canada last year were manuals?

The manual pool to pick from isn't growing that fast, but it's not like new Micra or Fit cars are being added to the manual pool at all these days. Bleak times for manual lovers!

One could always buy a VW Golf. Cheapest 2022 Golf in the States has a MSRP of $31,035. It's still a manual, however!

First warm-ish weather fill-up: 64 MPG

Finally added a fuel log for this car. Just did its third fill-up:

64 MPG = 3.7 L/100 km, over 798 km = 496 miles.

Not bad for a tank that spanned 3 months, including some cool/cold weather motoring back in March/April.

The previous 2 tanks were mostly winter time, and clocked in around 50-52 mpg US.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-09-2022),inuvik (06-09-2022)

taller tires on 15" Civic wheels

Also just posting for reference, done recently to this car:

Thread: Taller tires = slightly better fuel economy* ... 195/65 R15

These are the wheels on the car now (pic is from my previous Mirage) -- still need to make smooth wheel covers for them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (07-27-2022)

July update: 68 mpg

At the end of June, I did this:

Name:  2022-07-14 12.31.49.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  95.4 KB

(The upper Kammback portion was already there. I added the fender skirts and the clear panels between the skirts and the Kammback.)

Haven't been stopped by the cops yet!

Filled the tank a week or so ago:

68 mpg (US) = 3.5 L/100 km

Disclaimer: the car is able to get stupid numbers because (1) summer temperatures; (2) it's modified for efficiency; (3) the big one: I mostly drive rural back roads / scenic roads with a max posted speed of 70-80 km/h = 43-50 mph. And there's almost no traffic to speak of, so I can freely coast, coast, coast to minimize braking for stops/turns, without infuriating other drivers. Also, the engine is operated like a hybrid: it never idles, and it gets shut off when approaching almost all stops/turns & even on some descents. (4) Oh, also: no fuel-sucking AC in this poverty spec $#!#box!

I love it.

(Aside from the screwed up camber on the rear axle & the wonky clutch.)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (07-27-2022),Basic (08-01-2022),inuvik (07-27-2022),mohammad (07-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    metro - I'm kind of digging on your front wheel covers. Don't know why. They look kind of interesting, and do look air-slick (functionable). Did you find those or fabricate them?

Also, do you have an engine kill button on your shifter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

late reply...

Whoops! Super delayed response. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    metro - I'm kind of digging on your front wheel covers. Don't know why. They look kind of interesting, and do look air-slick (functionable). Did you find those or fabricate them?
    They're home-made & super low tech. Very heavy-duty aluminum foil cut to fill the holes between the spokes, fastened with aluminum tape (like the stuff used in HVAC ductwork). So what you're seeing is a combination of the factory alloy, foil & tape.

Not sure how long it's going to last, but so far, so good!

Also, do you have an engine kill button on your shifter?
    Yes! And it's responsible for the biggest % improvement in my car's fuel economy of all the mods I've done to date. I made it for Mirage #1, and I've since moved it to #2 and the current, #3.

Thread: DIY engine kill switch (via Crankshaft Position Sensor interrupt)